Jinhao X450 Review

West Pens Co.

Yes, another Jinhao fountain pen. Low budget fountain pens have been on the rise lately.

Today we have something very special the Jinhao 450.

Video link-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2YGkJi0T9U

post-120251-0-51728100-1424736691_thumb.jpeg

Something very cool about the 450 is anyone can get it. You can get it for 3.25 on eBay with free shipping included if you go for a base model, a black with gold accents and a 18k gold plated nib they say.

post-120251-0-74756700-1424736717_thumb.jpg

So the Specs- the Jinhao comes in a medium nib, when you purchase these kinds of pens the quality can be low very low. For instance I got a smooth writer right out of the box. While others may have problems where they have to adjust and smooth the nib.

post-120251-0-92874700-1424736518_thumb.jpg

It has a resin tripod grip section that feels great when you grip it but after a long writer session can feel less great. It has a two tone gold 18k gold plated nib like I said before.

On the gold bands it says X450 and Jinhao in cursive. The body material, the length of the body is a 120mm while the length of ti when its posted is 141m and the cap is 18 mm around. When it comes to posting it you can get a good post but its one of those things I rather not do. Now the writing part and video-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2YGkJi0T9U

Lastly if you dont like the stock nib, it has a #6 size nib which you can place a goulet nib into your pen for a better writing experience.

post-120251-0-25146900-1424737093_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• West Pens Co.

• fountainpenlady

• s_t_e_v_e

• Hedgehogs4Me

Thank you, nice review and you answered the question I had regarding whether you can change the nib and also use a Goulet #6.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Thank you, nice review and you answered the question I had regarding whether you can change the nib and also use a Goulet #6.

Your welcome :) subscribe to my channel for more reviews in the future. What color are you going to get.?

Looking at a red caravan. I am probably going to hang out the nib for a Goulet XF point.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I am also going to get a goulet extra fine nib. Have you tried the jinhao 599?

May I offer you some good news as you have given such a good review. The Goulet XF Point nib is smooth, perfect XF point in its perfect extra fine line. One of the best out of all the other pens owned, except the TWSBI and my new Omas Ogiva. It has restored my love for my Bexley weeks ago. I have purchased two additional pens since then and still continue to go back to my new rejuvenated Bexley. I changed the nib myself in less than 5 minutes and in less than ten was up and writing. It replaces the original tuned by a Nib Meister, believe Richard Binder 18kt gold XF (say that 10 times with your mouth full of something decadent) nib when originally purchased.

I don't know whether Brian or his staff actually check the nib and ensure its smoothness and perfect XF ability. I can say the one I received has saved a pen from the 90s, which had previously not been filled with ink or written with for years.

I read all the reviews provided on the site. Options were to return to my Bexley to have it fitted with a stainless steel nib and I believe it would also have to be fitted with a different feed also; send the almost mangled nib to a Nib Meister and see what could be done. This was the least expensive for $15.00 and shipping. Enjoy, I just had to give you some good news. I am not affiliated or work for Goulet Pen Company, just a happy repeat customer and very grateful for them saving a pen which is no longer available and let's just say cost way more than this one. Be Well :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard the gold plating flakes right off very quickly on these. I mean, for that price it's probably to be expected, but is there any truth to that? If so, does the performance change at all with the gold gone?

Hello, I have owned mine for little over a month now and the nib still looks great. Recently tho I placed a Goulet EF nib into my jinhao 450. I hope that helps :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice review! I totally agree that this might not be the best pen for longer writing sessions. It's a bit heavy for that.

In fact I just realized that the Kaigelu 316 is also quite unbalanced even when not posted making it uncomfortable imo.