Reynolds Pens

Ian the Jock

I recently purchased 2 Reynolds pens without knowing anything about them, other than that they were made in France.

I hade a rake about and found some pretty cheap looking pens on ebay, but nothing else.

The ones I bought looked to be of considerably better quality, but I can't find any more info.

Can anyone enlighten me.

Ian

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Amyj

• Sasha Royale

• Ergative

I have a Reynolds eyedropper pen that came from India. The sticker read 25 rupees.

I wonder if Reynolds makes "kit" pens.

I doubt that this is the same "Reynolds" as the old US company.

I would love to see a photograph of your Reynolds fountain pen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi Sasha

This is the pen.

I don't have it yet but it should be here in the next few days.

Ian

post-117767-0-25206800-1423524820_thumb.jpg

post-117767-0-37059500-1423524839_thumb.jpg

In fact, it is the remnant of the French branch of the old US Reynolds firm. After Reynolds escaped with his money to Mexico, with lots of unpaid US taxes, the US Company collapsed, while the French branch survived. (The same fate happened to Waterman's!). For many years they made excellent low cost stick ballpoint pens. A few years ago they were bought up by BIC and started making BIC and StyPen (also bought up by BIC) pens, with Reynolds markings. They have always been popular in India: in fact, I think they have a production facility in that Country.

Edited by tryphon

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

I am fairly certain that the fountain pen that " hooked me" was a black plastic Reynolds that I purchased in a drug store in California in 1990 for about $4.00 US. It had a fine nib and I wrote tons of notes in grad school with it in spiral bound notebooks. I didn't know anything about paper quality. Then I purchased a True Writer, some Cross Solo ATX's, and was off towards unremitting unrepentant fountain use and enjoyment.

Hi Ian,

I see Reynolds branded fountain pens popping-up once in a while. I think they are made and/or distributed by G.M. Pens International Pvt. Ltd. Chennai, India who is the licensee of the Reynolds (France) brand, which is a historical spin-off of the now defunct post WWII U.S. company founded by Milton Reynolds, who is (arguably) the first person to introduce the ballpoint pen into the U.S. market.

The Reynolds brand is now owned by Newell-Rubbermaid, a U.S. conglomerate who, amongst other interests, owns the following writing instrument/stationary brands:

Sharpie
Paper Mate
Expo
Prismacolor
Parker
Waterman
Reynolds
Rotring

Reynolds (France), license holder for Reynolds-India closed their manufacturing facility in France in 2007, reportedly relocating to China, but perhaps only under contract.

Reynolds-India does not show any higher quality fountain pens on their Web site (if they show any fountain pens at all). But I understand the pens do exist (at least) in the India market. Some say the higher-end Reynolds brand fountain pens coming out if India are actually made up of components from Chinese pen manufacturers. These are not expensive pens.

Here are some interesting links for you:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/38551-reynolds-pen-company/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Reynolds

http://www.reynolds-india.com/reynolds/corporate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newell-Rubbermaid#Writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fq_9PYe-wQ

Enjoy, David

Edited by Drone

I knew you guys would know what was what. :thumbup:

There also seems to be quite a variety of Reynolds fountain pens available in Australia but they are a good deal more expensive ($20+ with shipping to add) than the ones I bought.

Thanks to the reliable folks on here, I at least know more about them than I did previously.

I was under no illusions that they weren't cheap pens though when I bought them, I just thought that they looked good value for the money the seller was asking.

They looked good and had their "own" nibs, so I thought that they'd be worth a punt.

At £4.50 inc.shipping for 2 ($6.85) I'm not losing a lot if they aren't up to much.

They should be here tomorrow and we'll see how they are.

Here's another pic.

post-117767-0-36019400-1423576298_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info, at least now I know what I've bought.

I'll let you know "how they go"

Ian

That pen you have there is a Reynolds Accent. Fits standard international cartridges, but not converters, and has a nib that can flex, but wouldn't suggest doing it too often.

Edited by Amyj

Amyj

Why doesn't it take convertors?

Is to do with the room inside the barrel?

My arbutus didn't take them but i "cut down" a waterman convertor and it works a treat.

It's something to do with the nipple (?) that you fit the cart onto and the space in the grip section. I cant remember whether it was too loose or too tight to fit.

Well, The pens we now know to be the Reynolds "Accent" arrived today.

First off, out of the bag they looked quite nice.

A swirly royal blue colour with gold clip and at 13.5cm capped, a fairly regularly sized pen.

It measures 15cm posted, and 12cm unposted

It's quite a light pen at 15g, but even though I prefer a bit of heft to my pens it is comfortable to use and sits nicely in the hand.

Both pens had a "spent" cartridge in them on arrival, so after a short soak and a flush I tried a Jinhao convertor in them, which fitted perfectly, so I filled them with J.Herbin Eclat de saphir, and diamine sargasso sea and off we went.

I was immediately taken by the smoothness of both nibs.

They both write a nice wet medium line and are very smooth.

I have been writing with one all day, and I'm pleased to say that I've enjoyed using it, it really is wet and smooth.

post-117767-0-94070700-1423684802_thumb.jpg

post-117767-0-22658600-1423684848_thumb.jpg

So all in all, a fine pen for the money (GPB 2.25 inc. shipping) and if anyone is thinking of getting one....Go for it.

For the money, which let's face it, isn't a lot, it is a bit of a bargain.

£2.25 well spent. :thumbup:

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

I have bought a lot of this pen, like 20?, from dboulonnais here on FPN. He sells them time to time.

I tested most of them, and they are truly a great writer. And they look gorgeous, too. The colored marble is unbelievable.

Congratulations! :)

• 2 months later...

I have a Gray of this model. My daughter had a green that someone stole at school.

I put a little silicone grease to the thread and converted mine to a ED. No leaks so far.

Regards

Subramoniam