Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Red - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

Well, the Pilot Parallel (flat nibbed calligraphy pen) comes with a very thin plastic sheet that is normally used to clean out paper fibers stuck in the nib. It's similar to a brass shim, but much more flexible and can get into very tight nibs due to its thinness.

Thank you for all these details; this is very helpful as I learn to adjust and tinker with my pens.

Best,

AD

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• lgsoltek

• Jan2016

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think of myself as a red connoisseur, so you may not want to see what I have to suggest. ;)

The MB Corn Poppy Red is deeper than it sounds, so if you want brighter, then Diamine or de Atramentis Poppy might be useful. Akkerman China Town Red is also very vibrant and bright.

Just the other day I had a chance to play with Pelikan Edelstein Garnet —I was thoroughly impressed, but it leans every so slightly to the orange side, if that doesn't bother you too much I think you might like it. I saw that you had Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange (EXCELLENT choice!), so you might like the particular shade of Garnet.

Also, if you want to deeper and more moody, I could suggest a few of the richer reds. Let me know!

Hello Halloween, and thank you for these wonderful suggestions. Your wonderful artwork with each color is truly inspiring.

My list grows!

I'll be traveling next week and able to go to a delightful brick and mortar store. I'll take the list, including your suggestions, with me.

I've been looking around online, of course, to see where I can source the various inks. I even emailed Goulet Pens and asked if they would consider carrying the Diamine Deep Dark Orange and the Parker Quink Red. Let's see.

Since I can also be moody (in life, with pens, and with ink), your moodier suggestions are also quite welcome. Yes, please.

Best,

AD

Hello Halloween, and thank you for these wonderful suggestions.

Since I can also be moody (in life, with pens, and with ink), your moodier suggestions are also quite welcome. Yes, please.

Happy to oblige. Since I am such a visual learner, perhaps a quick photo might be a good way to let you see what I'm referring to.

post-113310-0-43950400-1464136145_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the weird competing color from the different fluorescent lights. I hope it gives you an idea, at least.

Some of the inks are easier to find than others. Diamine and most de Atramentis inks (except the Christmas inks) are fairly easy to get a hold of, but Montblanc Winter Glow and Alfred Hitchcock have become shockingly pricey.

Let me know if any strike your fancy... ;)

Happy to oblige. Since I am such a visual learner, perhaps a quick photo might be a good way to let you see what I'm referring to.

attachicon.gif2016-05-24 20.23.31.jpg

Sorry for the weird competing color from the different fluorescent lights. I hope it gives you an idea, at least.

Some of the inks are easier to find than others. Diamine and most de Atramentis inks (except the Christmas inks) are fairly easy to get a hold of, but Montblanc Winter Glow and Alfred Hitchcock have become shockingly pricey.

Let me know if any strike your fancy... ;)

I am so grateful to see your ink collection no matter the lighting!

Of course, on first glance, I fancy them all.

In the photo, and with additional distortion via the laptop screen, the Diamine Red Dragon calls boldly. As does Widowmaker and the Hitchcock. I'm adding all three to the shopping list.

It's all so seductive, so very essentially red.

Again, thank you. I shall keep swooning, it seems.

Thank you, Halloween for sharing your pictures with us!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I am merely Red's servant; I must do its bidding and share its beauty! ;)

Overload (well, only almost...) of RED. Wonderful samples! Hematite is now, and always will be, a gift to red lovers!

I was pleased with how much l liked the Skrip Red. Many FPNers swear by it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/05-May/slides/2016-05-25_10.jpg

it seems we all serve Red these days.

I have the Hematite on my shopping list. And now that I'm not grading papers anymore, Red has a whole new life. It is now a celebration instead of a corruption, a sumptuous joy instead of a cringe.

Joyous.

Thank you for posting these photos.

I was pleased with how much l liked the Skrip Red. Many FPNers swear by it.

I accept your challenge, and will give it a workout... ;)

I have the Hematite on my shopping list. And now that I'm not grading papers anymore, Red has a whole new life. It is now a celebration instead of a corruption, a sumptuous joy instead of a cringe.

Joyous.

A kindred educator spirit! Indeed, grading papers can turn our reds into something less than celebratory, but I like to think of my corrections as a jubilee. How my students view them, of course, is an entirely different story... ;)

A kindred educator spirit! Indeed, grading papers can turn our reds into something less than celebratory, but I like to think of my corrections as a jubilee. How my students view them, of course, is an entirely different story... ;)

Yes, for many years, I was an educator. Funny that. I used green ink for it back then. I think it was a Levenger green. My students reported how pleased they were with the ink color in their margins.

Edited by AD64

Love those lipstick colors of yours! Here's what I have on the desk:

fpn_1417471911__red_inks-1.jpeg

fpn_1417471927__red_inks-2.jpeg

After all this, Halloween, have you found your perfect red?

Yes, and no. [Don't you love those non-answers?!]

Rouge Hématite can be a difficult ink, and it's not for everyday writing, but it is probably the most beautiful of all the red inks. The sheen alone —not counting the sparkles— makes me woozy.

Of the somewhat darker reds, Corn Poppy, Winter Glow, and Red Dragon are colors I must have at all times.

How about you, AD64? What are your top choices?

Yes, and no. [Don't you love those non-answers?!]

Rouge Hématite can be a difficult ink, and it's not for everyday writing, but it is probably the most beautiful of all the red inks. The sheen alone —not counting the sparkles— makes me woozy.

Of the somewhat darker reds, Corn Poppy, Winter Glow, and Red Dragon are colors I must have at all times.

How about you, AD64? What are your top choices?

As you know, Halloween, I wade around in the reds more than any other color. Thanks for supporting that with all the splendid samples you have posted in this thread.

In this moment, my 'favorite' is Diamine Matador. It's in two pens. Levenger's Fireball was my favorite for years. It's not been easy to find a replacement for it.

This could shift as I try out more and more reds (many choices based on what has been shared in this thread). I have a box full of inks (including reds that are new to me) waiting for me when I land after travels on Thursday (Thank you Amberlea!). I hope to have the time to make samples and share them with you.

Does the Rouge Hematite clog your pens? That was my only concern about using it. I have thought it would be most luscious in a demonstrator.

Best,

AD

Well RH doesn't clog, but wil certainly stain your demonstrator.

Surely that would be a most beautiful stain ...

Thank you for this information, Lgsoltek. I shall proceed at my own risk.