Montblanc Alfred Hitchcock Red Ink

ink-syringe

Someone recently gave me a piston fill of this from their own mostly empty bottle (one of those cute little 30ml MB bottles I covet).

I enjoyed it immensely. I did not realize that it was already gone form the MB catalog. I went to the MB dealer and they said that they had very little of it and that is long gone now.

Does anyone know any place that has some stock of this still?

Alternately, a close color that flows nice and wet?

I sure wish I could source a bottle or two of this. It was quite nice.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ink-syringe

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• PJohnP

Sorry. It is long gone. If you look for reviews of reds here, you can see the comparison to other colors. Someone recently posted on the new MB corn poppy red and it had samples from a lot of the other recent MB reds. Maybe start there?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

It's around, but very pricey for the most part. Still, if you keep your eyes open, it appears here on FPN from time-to-time, even at some (fairly) non-crazy prices.

John P.

I had no idea this was made of unobtanium.
Dang.
It's a really nice super usable shade of red. Nice flow. Cute bottle.
I have spend a pretty good amount of time googling and honestly have not seen a single bottle for sale.
My dealer here doesn't have Corn Poppy Red. I would love to try that too.

The Corn Poppy Red looks amazing too. & comes in 60ml bottles! I have to hunt down a bottle of that and I am curious about the JFK ink.

Toffee Brown was such a win for me, so I am totally turned on to MB ink now.

This last five-plus years, Montblanc has been either canceling longstanding inks like Racing Green, or issuing inks like Hitchcock as limited editions that come and go. The best advice is for you to buy a favourite in several bottles as soon as you discern that it is a favourite. The downsides are that sometimes we only make this discovery after the ink is becoming scarce, or we buy inks too quickly, to sit in a drawer.

Keep Googling for the ink, stop in pen&ink stores whenever you can, and keep your eyes open here on FPN. If people can find Parker Penman Sapphire so long after it was discontinued, you can find Montblanc Alfred Hitchcock Red. Eventually.

John P.

There's a bottle of AH Red on eBay right now with a BIN price of $99.97.

Yikes.

Edited by Jackson

There's a bottle of AH Red on eBay right now with a BIN price of $99.97.

Odd, because I have been checking for the last couple of days and didn't find any. But honestly, I am not paying that for it. If that is generally the going price for it I am just not going to get it. $100+ (shipping) for 30ml of ink. No way. I am sure it is worth that to someone buy not to me.

I liked it.

But not that much.

That is crazy. It's just ink.

If I luck into a bottle at decent prices I'll surge but wow. yeah. uh. no. ouch.

Thanks for the heads up though. I hadn't checked since this AM.

2012 special color, you'd think it was 1912 for that price.

$100+ (shipping) for 30ml of ink.

The best rate that I've seen for this of late is around US$50 per bottle. I picked up some from Germany last year for about $33/bottle plus shipping, but I think that pricing is long gone for the ink. Still, there will be the odd situation where someone will sell their ink, so be of good hope.

John P.

Surely, none cares about my ink quest, but I have already claimed a little space with this thread so I will update.

The Hitchcock ink, wow, yeah. Good luck. Holy. Alls I see is other folks like me out there on the innerwebs lusting for this ink.

But the looking under the virtual couch cushions has kicked up some dust and while Hitchcock is just no place to be found, I might have stumbled on 2 older limited super-cute 30ml editions! Ink of Love or Ink of Joy, possibly both.

The one person at the Mountain Blank store who is nice to me and vaguely understands my pen interests (they seem more intent on selling watches, belts, wallets, etc.) made (OH MY GOODNESS) a call to the other store in Korea to ask for me what limited inks they had. Very nice indeed. "You are the guy with the Parkers?" So it was nice that she remembered me, even though I am not going drop a huge bunch of cash on a suitcase, watch and a sexy new 149.

Down side: She has no idea if, or when they will get the Corn Pops Red or the Ted Kennedy ink. She seemed to suggest there was a chance Korea would not get it at all, even though they have that limited usefulness grey business and the Willem Dafoe ink.

So I learned a couple things here:

1. Monty makes some killer inks (really liking the Toffee Brown)

2. It is not really all that spendy (in comparison). 60mls, so you have to factor in the size.

3. If you like a MB ink, just get it, especially if they are limited ed. inks. B/C when they are gone, they are gone.

It's around, but very pricey for the most part. Still, if you keep your eyes open, it appears here on FPN from time-to-time, even at some (fairly) non-crazy prices.

John P.

There are some inks available on here now and when you ask how much the shipping is they are selling (or actually not selling) at some crazy prices.

My tip is that you always search and check online for actual mailing costs from the Countries that they will be mailing from, so you know if you're somewhere near the ballpark or if you're being asked for 10 times the actual cost.

Mb Hitchcock isn't one of them though, but I know there was a bottle recently sold on here at a reasonable price.

Edited by Chrissy

Yeah, that's basically true. Once the LE inks are gone, their price skyrockets. It's painful. I try to snag a lot of bottles of the ones I like before that happens. Key to this plan in keeping abreast of new MB LE inks, so you can try them early and stock up before they're gone.

Thanks for the knowledge! Fingers crossed for Joy and/or Love. (Haha haha)

i am looking for love.

(friendship looks too light for me)

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Red/slides/2013-07-07_Davis_008.jpg

Ink of Love is much brighter than Hitchcock.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_142.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_081.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

for Love and less money, you might like...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_793.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

For Hitchock, consider,

Red Dragon, Antietam or Organics Studio's Poe

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Red/slides/2013-07-22_Reds.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Red/slides/2014-Ink_578-Diamine_Red_Dragon.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Red/slides/2013-Ink_521.jpg

Or give up on that entirely and get this...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Red/slides/JH1670.jpg

I wish I had bought several more bottles of AH. I could have sent my daughter for her PhD at those prices

Remember though it's only worth what people are willing to pay for it. Anyone remember Billy Beer? I don't think anyone became a millionaire by hoarding that. Billy who?

Rule of thumb MB has discovered the LE principle of marketing. To paraphrase a well-known line, "Buy 'em if you want 'em"