What Are Some Notable Vintage Japanese Pens?

KBeezie

I'm curious if anyone knew of any notable Japanese pens ranging from the 1900s to 1960s or there about. The oldest japanese pens I have (to my knowledge) is just a cheap no-model mentioned Sailor Pocket pen and a couple Pilot Elites (70s, short sized pens with 18K Nibs).

And while I do have American vintage pens around that time frame (from a black chased hard rubber one up to ones like Sheaffer Snorkel/Touchdown/Tuckaway, Eversharp Skyline, etc). I'm curious what was the notable Japanese equivalent. Would I Be looking at brands like Nakaya, Namiki, etc? There seems to be so little information of Japanese vintage pens (in English anyways).

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• KBeezie

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

The best resource so fa for vintage pens is Lambrou/Sunami FPOJ. It is in English.

There is mention of older manufacturers and not as many images as I think such a work needs to properly convey what was produced.

Sadly, the book is expensive and, unless you appreciate the authors sense of unique or valuable pens, it might be a waste.

Nakazono's FPOJ is another resource but, much smaller and in Japanese.

There are quite a number of makers that show up for sale. Look at the list on the Pinned List of Pen Manufacturers - Current and Past.

Far from complete. I stopped updating it some time ago.

Do you seek a list of better makers? The biggest was Pilot.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Rather than just makers, was kind of hoping maybe some direction towards a couple more specific model names/numbers. I could always do a search for things like "Vintage Pilot" (or insert one of the other common brands like Sailor, Nakaya, Namiki, etc), but hoping to see if there was any notable Models loosely speaking, or is that usually just as ambiguous for the time frame I seek?

:P Course there's maybe always the chance I could trade one of my vintage american one for a japanese one if there's someone on that side of the 'lake' facing the same itch. :P Just not sure what was considered decent, sought after, or considered equivalent to what I have.

Prewar Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor are collectable.

Probably better than providing a list of makers is the suggestion to go after any pen that is bigger than normal, that has a large or unusual nib, or is a lever filler.

You can find a lot of nice black urushi or maybe something with a decorative band.

Also look for decent looking celluloid or red urushi or hard rubber.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Ok let me see

Jumbo pen

Pilot capless (a gimmicky vintage)

Pilot super (this is their most iconic pen line next to their elite)

Sailor pocket

Platinum's one and only piston filler 3776 (YES ITS OLD AND THEY HAVE ONE 1980s ish)

Sterling silver bodies by the big 3

Pilot myu (can I consider this vintage? I think it was from 1990 ish)

Pilot elite

And a lot of pre-war goodies that you may not easily find in the international community so digging the japanese local community will probably be your sure bet

A visit to pilot's museum might not hurt as well so at least you know where to start but that would mean it's going to be a trip to japan

Edited by Algester

For unknown reasons Japanese pens from the 1970s and earlier are considered vintage. Maybe, as opposed to modern?

For postwar pens from the Big Three, the various collectable models might be. This is my list.

Pilot Custom

Pilot Silvern

Pilot Delux

Pilot Super

Platinum Platinum

Platinum, anything silver.

Platinum celluloid from the 1950s.

Sailor, anything silver.

Sailor celluloid from the 1950s.

Stepping up a bunch in price will be Yotubisi who produced super-quality pens in the 1950s.

There are other countless makers who produced quality models. Even some of the low-end makers occasionally produced something spectacular.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Ok let me see

Jumbo pen

Pilot capless (a gimmicky vintage)

Pilot super (this is their most iconic pen line next to their elite)

Sailor pocket

Platinum's one and only piston filler 3776 (YES ITS OLD AND THEY HAVE ONE 1980s ish)

Sterling silver bodies by the big 3

Pilot myu (can I consider this vintage? I think it was from 1990 ish)

Pilot elite

And a lot of pre-war goodies that you may not easily find in the international community so digging the japanese local community will probably be your sure bet

A visit to pilot's museum might not hurt as well so at least you know where to start but that would mean it's going to be a trip to japan

For unknown reasons Japanese pens from the 1970s and earlier are considered vintage. Maybe, as opposed to modern?

For postwar pens from the Big Three, the various collectable models might be. This is my list.

Pilot Custom

Pilot Silvern

Pilot Delux

Pilot Super

Platinum Platinum

Platinum, anything silver.

Platinum celluloid from the 1950s.

Sailor, anything silver.

Sailor celluloid from the 1950s.

Stepping up a bunch in price will be Yotubisi who produced super-quality pens in the 1950s.

There are other countless makers who produced quality models. Even some of the low-end makers occasionally produced something spectacular.

Nice suggestions and guides for what to look for.

Far as 'vintage', I consider anything that's older than 20 years to be vintage (Though 90s still feels a bit young, despite being 20 years ago at 1994)

I do have three Pilot Elites from the 70s/80s. Two black shorts with an 18K Posting and 18K Soft Fine, and a Lady Elite with an 18K Fine.

As well as a Sailor Pocket Pen which I'm guessing 60s just cuz of the color/stars (but that guess is based on american, no clue what the Japanese liked to use design wise in the 60s for the lesser priced pens) The sailor though, while it's cheaper 'looking' has an incredibly smooth extra-fine to fine(jpn) 14K nib that has a little bit of spring to it, but no line variation (too small). Though not sure if it can take any of the Sailor converters on the market, so I been refilling the only spare sailor cart I have.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/collections/shorties_oct2014/posted.jpg

Would like to try to find something like the Sailor/Pilot/Sailor Celluloids from the 50s or before if I knew what was good particularly.

A while back I saw this Namiki on eBay, had no clue about it, and would have loved to get it if I hadn't just bought two other pens. It looked a lot like this one, but without the cracks, and much better condition. I think it went for $120 or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PILOT-034-CUSTOM-034-Vintage-Wood-Fountain-Pen-18K-Gold-Trim-Cartridge-Free-Namiki-FP-/251664913561

Guessing ebay wise, I guess I just have to use vague terms including the maker's name and "vintage" or something to find anything.

If they were $150 or under that would be great.

PS: I believe the Pilot Murex was 70s, and the Myu was a remake of it in the 80s? Would love one, especially like an M-90, but I think they're all north of $300 in working condition.

Edited by KBeezie