Cursive Lowercase Q

Vlad Soare

For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to get in the habit of first finishing an entire word, then going back to dot the i's, cross the t's, etc. I used to finish each letter prior to going on to the next, which wasn't very efficient, not to mention it gave my handwriting a sort of incoherent look. I'm trying to get rid of this habit, and it seems to be working. So far so good.

Now I'd like to go one step further and train myself not to lift the pen off the paper at all in the middle of a word. I'm trying to link all letters, to make each individual word look like a continuous piece of string (crosses, diacritics, etc. notwithstanding). After all, this is what cursive writing is all about, isn't it? :)

Some uppercase letters are not suited to this (e.g. T, P, F, etc.), so I guess there's nothing to be done there. But the capital letters aside, I find I can link almost all lowercase letters to one another. With one exception - lowercase q. I can link it to the previous letter, but not to the next.

Any tricks for that? How do you write a lowercase q so that you can link it to the next letter (like in the word aqua, for instance)?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vlad Soare

• TheRealScubaSteve

• AllenG

• HalloweenHJB

This should do the trick :) http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/cursive/animation/images/animationl_q00.gif

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Same principle as a p for me. I link my Ts as well. Q's too, but the pen is lifted after the O section.

IMG_20141015_082634.jpg

I see. That's an interesting workaround, though it does resemble a lowercase g a bit too closely.

I've never thought about closing the loop. I'm used to these variants:

post-109883-0-09438500-1413377747.jpgpost-109883-0-57521400-1413377759.jpg

The first one is what I've learned from my parents, while the second one is how I was taught in school. Neither of them lends itself to a nice linkage to the next letter.

I guess I'll try your suggestion, though I do find the close resemblance to a g somewhat bothering. :unsure:

Same principle as a p for me.

Not quite. A lowercase p ends on the baseline, where you can immediately start your next letter. It's perfectly suited for linking. :)

Edited by Vlad Soare

Dragos' photo is basically how I write q, but the round bit is much more pronounced than mine.

Not quite. A lowercase p ends on the baseline, where you can immediately start your next letter. It's perfectly suited for linking. :)

My lowercase q is the same one that I learned in gradeschool. Slightly like a backwards p but with a different loop. As you can see from my below writing sample, both p and q end on the line. To the left, I've substituted p for q in "principle" to hopefully show this better.

Your first q is interesting - I've never seen it written like that before.

IMG_20141015_115337.jpg

This should do the trick :) http://www.handwritingforkids.com/handwrite/cursive/animation/images/animationl_q00.gif

This is what I learned in grade school. We were also taught to complete the word without lifting the pencil (no pens allowed), and then to go back for dots and crosses.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Hi, Vlad,

Glad to see you working on cursive. Must differ with you on a few points. Cursive is joined, that is true. However, the idea of writing "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in one go is not correct. Cursives only look as if they are written in one go. The writer of cursive, like all writers, moves his hand and the paper every few letters to keep a proper relationship between the pen, the hand's position, and the eye. My teacher in Palmer handwriting stressed writing a word in one continuous line and almost ruined my handwriting. It was twenty years later that I discovered Italic handwriting and the concept of hand-lifts and repositioning of hand and paper.

So the true answer is not to link all letters, nor to write each letter individually. Instead, work for a harmonious blend that works for you.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Thank you Randal. Indeed, when I said not to lift the pen in the middle of the word I didn't mean extremely long words, which require the hand to be moved. I will lift the pen off the paper when necessary; it's just that I'd like to reduce this "necessary" to the minimum possible. :)

Say, that's a pretty neat idea. This way it won't get mistaken for a g. I like it, I'll give it a try.

Thank you.

Say, that's a pretty neat idea. This way it won't get mistaken for a g. I like it, I'll give it a try.

Thank you.

fpn_1413728793__img_0536.jpg

Well here is some of my really bad writing. using a Franklin Cove with i chink a medium nib.. however the nib is unmarked and i don't have a micrometer to check.

post-77232-0-89922900-1414000825.jpg

as you can see, i don't attach capitals. i hate the "funky 2" so i don't use it. in fact i don think i attach most cap. letters in cursive.

Edited by Jbloodwo