Glass nib.....

Psyktek

An intriguing idea, but the fragility of this item is a little troubling.

Was this done due to the metal shortage/rationing during WW II? Is this collectible or just an oddity?

Or are oddities by definition collectible? :bonk: :bonk: :blush:

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little impact on society." Mark Twain

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Psyktek

• ushat

• Gerry

• Ann Finley

I have never seen or heard of glass nibs, it sounds like it would not work/sell. No one would buy something that would break so easily. Unless it is like a plexiglass material, but still it is a very strange idea, why not plastic nibs: they would be some of the most flexible nibs if done right, plastic can be made undestructable and would be a very inexpensive means to bring fountain pens to many. Send a link to a glass nibbed pen please, it is a very intriguing idea just from what it would look like and who would be so bold to produce something like this.

WWM

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

There were fountain pens made with glass nibs, as well as dip pens. The Spors crescent filler is an example. To see one, go to Richard Binder's web site:

Richard's site, click on My Pen Collection, and then click on Vintage American Pens, then click page 11.

Best, Ann

I'll edit and add a P.S.

Richard says this glass nibbed fountain pen was reliable and the nib was well made. Yes, they are collectible!

Edited by Ann Finley

Ah yes, and the nib resembles very closely the dip pen nibs. Hadn't seen the fountain pen version before - thanks Ann.

If you look at the dip pen making lesson, you will see that the nib is made from fluted rod that is attached to the handle material in a separate step. Looks like the FP just used the nib material, which was inserted into the section. I would be interested to see details of the feed, if there was one...

Now youve got me thinking of a mod to a junker I might have lying around somewhere.... nawwww.

Gerry

PS: Glass is surprisingly durable in this application, wearing well. It's main disadvantage is brittleness, if dropped.

Having decided to buy (and having bought) the pen in question, here's the link:

eBay

Thanks for the interest and help! :bunny1:

I'll post with a detailed description and any interesting points when it arrives.

Edited by Psyktek

Having decided to buy (and having bought) the pen in question, here's the link:

eBay

Thanks for the interest and help! :bunny1:

I'll post with a detailed description and any interesting points when it arrives.

That looks like a very interesting pen. Please let us know how it writes!

Congrats on the new pen.

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Looks like a great buy. Although the dip pens are common, the FP's are not.

Congratulations.

Gerry

Congratulations! I'm surprised at the going price--I'd say you got quite a good deal! I'd like to see a sample of the line width that this glass nib makes when you receive the pen.

:) Ann

Oh God!! Now I have to figure out how to use my scanner!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Congratulations! I'm surprised at the going price--I'd say you got quite a good deal! I'd like to see a sample of the line width that this glass nib makes when you receive the pen.

Psyktek - just a writing sample won't do. We need/want a full blown review! TIA

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Well, I can't get it to write. First of all there's no feed block, the nib just pushes directly into the section. There's a tiny end piece that has much finer grooves than the rest of the nib; I don't know if that's supposed to work as a feed or not.

Maybe I'll drop Richard a note and see if he can shed some light on this pen. Oh, the clip says "Wahl/Oxford" and the imprint is "Made in the USA by EVERSHARP".

Good idea--ask Richard!! Maybe we'll still get to see a writing sample later on. :)

Good luck, hope it will eventually write.

Ann

Well, does the bladder work? Does it inhale ink (water)? Epell it too?

If it passes both of those tests, then try dipping it.

If dipping works, and it does take up ink as well as expell it, you have a feed problem, and need to explore the section itself.

How about a few tests and reports of results?

Gerry

I should have said that it works, in a manner of speaking.

If dipped, or filled (the bladder does work) and held at a VERY low angle, I get an extremely broad, wet line, then nothing. Apparently one curved groove empties all at once.

This is not "writing", it's drawing very thick lines. I can do that with a Sharpie!

Hopefully I'll here from Richard, but he's at Raleigh so I'm sure is up to his elbows in pens.

There were fountain pens made with glass nibs, as well as dip pens. The Spors crescent filler is an example. To see one, go to Richard Binder's web site:

Richard's site, click on My Pen Collection, and then click on Vintage American Pens, then click page 11.

Best, Ann

I'll edit and add a P.S.

Richard says this glass nibbed fountain pen was reliable and the nib was well made. Yes, they are collectible!

And don't forget that there are some early Visconti pens that used a store of vintage glass nibs!

Kurt H

I have never seen or heard of glass nibs, it sounds like it would not work/sell.

Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they don't exist:lol:

No one would buy something that would break so easily.

There were several manufacturers, Spor etc. that made them and even Visconti got into the act! And I think the main reason was because gold was rather valuable during the world wars, but this could be a misremembering. <_<

Unless it is like a plexiglass material, but still it is a very strange idea, why not plastic nibs: they would be some of the most flexible nibs if done right, plastic can be made undestructable and would be a very inexpensive means to bring fountain pens to many.

Plastic might be flexible but getting the proper ink wetting surface can be a problem.

Send a link to a glass nibbed pen please, it is a very intriguing idea just from what it would look like and who would be so bold to produce something like this.

I bet a quick google search would give you a few sites with these for sale or even looking at ebay :lol:

Burnham made glass-nibbed pens which come up not infrequently on ebay. I've always assumed they were war-time production. Czechoslovakia is famed for glass-nibbed fountain pens. In their case I think it was a preference rather than a result of economy. The fountain pens are direct descendants of the glass-nibbed dip pens made in Czechoslovakia.

I'd love to try one.

Gordon

First thing: NEVER examine a nib without a loupe. Found much dried ink deposits and, after a night soaking in Windex......

IT WRITES!!!!!

Using Swisher's Midnight Black, it lays down a VERY broad, wet line. It also, like a metal nib, only wants to write at one point. There appears to be a chip out of the edge of one of the channels. Also requires a very low angle of attack on the paper. When lifted point up, the ink channels clear nearly instantly, so it likely won't be a mess in the pocket.

Not a pen I'll use every day, absolutely not at work on our recycled, medium ruled chart sheets, but I do think I will be using it.

Wonder if anyone repairs/sharpens/whatever these......?