Writing In Wire Bound Notebooks

Nick13

Hello everybody,

I found that for a while now since I changed to wire bound notebooks, my hand always rests right on the wires, causing a lot of pain and ruining my writing.

So do any FPNers have a solution or remedy to not allowing your hand to rest on the wires?

Thank you in advance,

Nick

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doggonecarl

• Nick13

• shuuemura

• majorworks

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you are left handed?

There are a line of notebooks called Write Notepads that make ones for lefties.

First off, due to the general symmetry of wire-bound notebooks, right-handers' hands rest on the wires too, if we're writing on the left-hand pages. I've never considered the notion that the generic wire-bound notebook is made for right-handed people to the detriment of left-handers.

Having said that, I had to check in on the Write Notepads website. What makes a notebook "left-handed," he wondered?

It turns out that the "left-handedness" is imparted by virtue of what I'd consider the back cover being printed as though it were the front cover (and vice-versa).

Were I left-handed, at $8 a pop for a 3x5 inch notebook, I'd just flip over a garden-variety wire-bound notebook and get busy, but that's me.

Would any left-handed FPNers care to comment as to whether the Write Notepads "left-handed" style really constitutes a benefit?

Happiness is an Indian ED!

I would just switch to a different notebook. Another idea would be to use a cloth or a pad to cushion your hand/wrist while writing so that the wires don't dig in.

I use a trick that I learned on FPN

I write only on the right-hand page.

So from front to back on the right side.

Then when I get to the back, I flip the notebook over upside down.

Now I write on the right-hand page, from the back to the front.

My hand is now never on the wire.

Granted it looks kinda weird to someone looking at the notebook, afterwards, but in my case it is my daily journal, so it is me only.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Because you are left handed?

There are a line of notebooks called Write Notepads that make ones for lefties.

I am right handed, and the problem comes when I write on the left side of the page.

I would just switch to a different notebook. Another idea would be to use a cloth or a pad to cushion your hand/wrist while writing so that the wires don't dig in.

I have been looking into the Clairefontaine staple bound as my next choice

I use a trick that I learned on FPN

I write only on the right-hand page.

So from front to back on the right side.

Then when I get to the back, I flip the notebook over upside down.

Now I write on the right-hand page, from the back to the front.

My hand is now never on the wire.

Granted it looks kinda weird to someone looking at the notebook, afterwards, but in my case it is my daily journal, so it is me only.

This is a great idea, and I will certainly use this for my personal notebooks, but it might be a little hard to read on my professional ones.

First off, due to the general symmetry of wire-bound notebooks, right-handers' hands rest on the wires too, if we're writing on the left-hand pages. I've never considered the notion that the generic wire-bound notebook is made for right-handed people to the detriment of left-handers.

Having said that, I had to check in on the Write Notepads website. What makes a notebook "left-handed," he wondered?

It turns out that the "left-handedness" is imparted by virtue of what I'd consider the back cover being printed as though it were the front cover (and vice-versa).

Were I left-handed, at $8 a pop for a 3x5 inch notebook, I'd just flip over a garden-variety wire-bound notebook and get busy, but that's me.

Would any left-handed FPNers care to comment as to whether the Write Notepads "left-handed" style really constitutes a benefit?

I never understood them either, left handed and right handed people have the same problem on wire bound notebooks, just on different sides of the page. I think the specialty ones consider that you will only write on the left of the page where it is not bothersome.

Thank you all for your help!

Nick

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

I, personally am not a fan of wire-bound. Primarily for the reason stated here, and due to page shift. I find this with any "Loose" bound paper. I prefer a good solid binding in a note pad. I do have a couple of wire-bound Rhodia steno-like pads and hate them for this "shift" reason. I am determined to use them though, so I bind the bottom of the pad with an elastic to prevent the shifting of the page.

Namaste,

Dalimar

"All great truths begin as Blasphemies" - George Bernard Shaw

"Better then a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

"Change only takes place through action, not through meditation and prayer alone" - The Dali Lama

JetPens is selling a line of notebooks from Japan which are a bit different but look interesting. Like a common 'steno' notebook the wire binding is at the top. However, the pages are not sized like a steno notebook; they look more look a 'normal' notebook which has been rotated 90 degrees. But you'd probably still have an issue of either flipping the notebook or writing every other page with your hand completely resting on the wire binding...

http://www.jetpens.com/Maruman-Mnemosyne-Imagination-Notebook-A4-8.3-X-11.7-5-mm-X-5-mm-Graph-70-Sheets/pd/4076

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I never understood them either, left handed and right handed people have the same problem on wire bound notebooks, just on different sides of the page.

A problem for you, but not all right-handed people. I don't have the issue with the wire. Depends how one holds the pen and how one orientates the paper in relation to one's writing. You asked for a remedy for not resting your hand on the wires of the notebook--so it is change how you write, or change what you write on.

I used to have a problem with wire bound notebooks but am gradually learning to overcome it. I did it after going thru the book 'modern business penmanship' by Mills - I got on the iampeth website. It teaches you to keep the 5th finger and lateral side of your writing hand light on the paper. I was keeping my hand heavy and relying on it as a platform to make finger based writing movements. After reading the book I am keeping my lateral hand light on the paper/spirals and relying on my forearm as a platform to transmit writing movements from my shoulder. This transition from finger to shoulder guided writing that the Mills book teaches has not only helped me to negotiate wire spirals easier but it has significantly improved my writing. I recommend at least going thru the first dozen or so training exercises yourself and see if it does not help you too, good luck!

If you write on both sides of a page, no matter where the binding is your hand is going to touch on it. This also applies to those with the binding on the top; the moment you flip the page over and start writing on the back the wire binding is going to be on the bottom, which you will soon notice once you're about half way down the page. If I were a leftie I would be insulted by these special notepads for the left-handed.

Edited by I.M.