Penmanship In Films

AndyNC

HI,

Saw the film Stoker recently (well the last half) and not making and judgement on the film itself I rewound and watch several time the letters that India was sent by her Uncle. The lettering was wonderful, very natural and well presented.

Although this is a fountain pen forum maybe there should be a section on "public lettering" such as in films adverts etc.

Other writing I was impressed with was the letter written by Dracula in the film Bram Stoker's Dracula, the one being read by Keanu Reeves on the train.

I've seen many examples of fine lettering/ writing in films over the years, perhaps they could have their own section

Cheers

Andy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyNC

• Anne-Sophie

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will be a long list! :)

I think it is a great idea, classic films are full of very interesting writings, be it the titles, letter written by protagonists, writing on props, etc...

And, the films made during the golden age of the fountain pen, have also very interesting pen spotting opportunities.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Ok, I'll start... During the 1944 film "The Woman in the Window" by Fritz Lang, the character played by Edward G. Robinson writes a letter:

fpn_1407877446__egrobinson.jpg

And here's some]from Dracula.

The first is Johnathon Harker's diary.

post-78564-0-90542800-1407953484_thumb.png

The second is Dracula's letter to him. Unfortunately you never see the whole in good lighting

post-78564-0-60047700-1407953491_thumb.png

I really love the Dracula's mixed styles. Unfortunately the quality is poor but that's the lighting in the train.

I don't have the DVD of Stoker but I'll get it just for the writing

Cheers

Andy