Erasable Ink?

william2001

I made many mistakes while writing so far.

When I am writing with a pencil, I can erase it.

But when I am writing with a fountain pen, I cannot.

I heard that Pilot made a erasable ballpoint pen.

But is there a erasable fountain pen ink?

Thanks in advance,

William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madeline

• AllieT

• Tas

• Olya

Top Posters In This Topic

Pelikan Royal blue can be erased. You have to buy a pelikan ink eradicator though. And I don't think you can write over where you've erased the ink.

Yes there is.

Some royal blue inks can be erased using a particular chemical. Lamy has a product called Lamy Ink-x Ink Eradicator that uses it. Stephen Brown has made a video of it.

Back in the Olden Dayes (before 1970 or so), we used "ink eradicator". Came in a dark amber bottle. Plastic cap had a glass tube that we dipped into the eradicating liquid and spread, carefully, over the mistake. Let it dry. Then re-wrote. No, the process was not as quick and easy as erasing pencil-writing.

I think ink eradicator was something like a bleach. Supposed to work on several inks and colors, although I mostly wrote with Sheaffer Washable Black (#62).

Don't know who made it and have not seen the stuff in years. Maybe the Pelikan eradicator works on more than Pelikan blue?

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I made many mistakes while writing so far.

When I am writing with a pencil, I can erase it.

But when I am writing with a fountain pen, I cannot.

I heard that Pilot made a erasable ballpoint pen.

But is there a erasable fountain pen ink?

Thanks in advance,

William S. Park

You're probably talking about the Pilot Frixion (comes as a BP, a gel pen, a highlighter and I think even as a pencil?)

The extraordinary property of this ink is that it is sensitive to temperature changes.

Heat (generated by friction with the provided eraser, or any other means, e.g. a lighter) makes the ink turn invisible.

The fun part is that if you put your (erased) writings in the freezer for a few minutes, the ink actually reappears. :o

I doubt that Pilot sells that ink in a bottle, and I surely haven't heard of any other brand offering such a product.

I think your best bet would be Nathan Tardif.

Consider throwing the Goulets an email, kindly asking them to pass on the message.

They seem to be in a close collaboration and get along with him pretty well

Edited by inotrym

You're probably talking about the Pilot Frixion (comes as a BP, a gel pen, a highlighter and I think even as a pencil?)

The extraordinary property of this ink is that it is sensitive to temperature changes.

Heat (generated by friction with the provided eraser, or any other means, e.g. a lighter) makes the ink turn invisible.

The fun part is that if you put your (erased) writings in the freezer for a few minutes, the ink actually reappears. :o

I vaguely recall some talk about opening one of those pens to put the ink inside a FP. Not sure if they actually did it.

As has been mentioned some royal blue inks can be erased by using an eradicator pen. Pelikan has one called Super Sheriff and Herlitz also has one. It is a fibertip pen. You can not use your erasable ink where you have used the eradicator. But it has a blue fibertip pen in the other end with some kind of royal blue which you use to write with.

Back when I was primary school Asda used to sell an eraser pen that could erase the ink from my parker pen cartridges. They worked really well...but you couldn't write on the patch of ink with a fountain pen becuase the ink would just dissappear.

Not sure if Asda still make these pens anymore.

• 4 years later...

For years I've loved using the Pilot "FriXion Point" pens and bought a large box of refills. Since Pilot does not make this ink in bottles or cartridges for fountain pens, I've been thinking about opening up one of my FriXion refills and transferring its ink into one of my $-Dollar fountain pens as an experiment. Maybe a good one for 2019 :)

In the meantime, I wonder if any one has tried any of the (very few?) erasable fountain pens out there, like this ebay entry: Helix Oxford Universal Blue Erasable & Black Refill Ink Cartridges [and Fountain Pen]:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helix-Oxford-Universal-Blue-Erasable-Black-Refill-Ink-Cartridges-Fountain-Pen/192449775173?epid=21008284264&hash=item2ccee68645:m:mYsA41XPsabV_ZAw817VLxg:rk:2:pf:0&var=492464022409

I also wondered if those "universal" cartridges would be the same as an international cartridge? wouldn't cost much to find out...

[is it bad form to pick up an old thread from years back? Should I have started a new one with this topic?]

I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts, experiences, etc. with erasable ink for fountain pens. As a writer, I am always in "eraser-mode," and often write with pencil as a result. But would very much like to transfer my creative writing practice to my fountain pens.

Happy New Year, everyone!

~m

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

The fact that one cannot always write over the area "eradicated" makes me wish for the erasable rather than the eradicable ink. (Now why can't Pilot just put this into bottles? Not enough of us to buy it, I suppose... )

--Mark Twain

It's okay to resurrect old posts!

All "washable blues" and all German royal blue inks ("Königsblau", incl Lamy blue, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue etc etc) are erasable, incl Waterman's Serenity Blue, which is on the French market specifically advertized as such ("effaçable"). In addition to that, so is Aurora Blue and I think J Herbin's Bleu Myosotis.

Many companies, incl no name, make these ink eradicators. You can't write over the eradicated area with your fpen though, but either with the pen end on the eradicator or another pen.

The major downside is that these inks will usually fade over time. Actually within days, and they are very pale to begin with, going even paler as they fade. In rare cases some will fade over time to near illegibility. I hated fpens for years because of this, I thought all fpen ink was shyte and abandoned fpens as soon as we were allowed to. Finding all the awesome blue ink that's around made me stick with fpens. I really wish the High Street offered some decent ink alongside the erasable blues for school kids..

That's why I stay away from erasable inks, as they can be pretty unstable. Erasable fpen inks fade by themselves, and Pilot Frixion and similar are temperature sensitive.

It's a good thing that in my schools writing with pencil was banned once we school kids upgraded to fpens, really makes you learn to just live with small mistake and cross them out :) Sometimes erasing is good, but sometimes good info is lost as well...

When I was writing papers and dissertations I'd work with several colours and e.g. cross stuff out in a different colour to find relevant bits quicker. It was also good to go back to the crossed bits I initially thought to be mistakes, as sometimes those had good info in them.. Now grammatical errors were (are!) vexing indeed... :angry: :glare: Can't have it all, eh!

Edited by Olya

Thank you, Olya! That's such a great point to make--that sometimes one really wants to retrieve those "mistakes" later on--which is only possible if one crossed it out (rather than erasing). I'll keep that in mind when I am tempted to edit as I write. :)

--Mark Twain

Something I discovered after ironing my son's homework one day.

(It was scrumpled at the bottom of his bag, I don't usually iron homework B) )

It made for an original letter to his teacher . . . :o

At least Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue will not vanish on its own.

It is washable and erasable and it will bleach fast in sunlight.

But if kept in a dry and dark environment (like in a closed notebook in a shelf), it will last for decades.

Whenever I find some of my (very) old notebooks from school the ink is still visible,

even on the outside - if the notebook did not lie in direct sunlight.

You can use any eraser pen on any royal blue ink - You don't need the specific one of the ink manufacturer ;).

And the erased parts will reappear after a while, because only the colour is removed, not the ink! :yikes:

So do not user erasers on writings that are supposed to be kept and stored and re-read for some reason.

Homework for school is not likely to be re-read after your teacher has seen it once;

a letter to a dear person might be kept for years.

I mainly used these pens to get rid of stains on my fingers whenever I had an "accident" with my pen ..... :rolleyes:

Thanks so much, everyone! I will definitely have to get some of the Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue (which my Pelikans ought to like, too :-)

(I like the Pilot FriXion so much that I often use it for trying to work out our budget.... just have to remember not to write checks with it!)

--Mark Twain

When I was in school, I was required to right in fountain pen. Points were removed for mistakes. Rather than start a page over, I would take a toothpick and dip it in bleach and carefully trace over the mistake. It would disappear and I would write over it. No points then removed. I was using one of the cheap cartridge pens available in grocery storee for students.