Best Edc Pen

chomann

Here is my problem. I am looking for the best all around pen for EDC. In EDC I need the following (in no certain order)

Durability / Front jean pocket carry

Water resistantance

used for: Long-journal writing to short meeting notes, some water pump floor testing (EDC)

The three pens on hand are; (attached Photo)

The Parker Jotter with Fisher space pen refill

TWSBI-Mini (Noodlers bullet Proof ATM)

Kaweco Sport (horrid light blue cartridge ATM)

There are some serious pros and cons to each.

The Parker is long, but slim, and just not great for front pocket carry.

The TWSBI-MINI is a bit elicate in the clip and alos not great for front Pocket carry.

The Kaweco is light and cartridged.

I love the styling on about all of these pens, Perhaps I should just rotate. Any thing that I've missed about these please let me kow, What would you carry daily?

post-37323-0-14650100-1404137787_thumb.jpg

Freedom First, Condemn Conformity.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• dneal

• Renfield

• Brian1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For jeans pocket I'd pick the original "bullet" Fisher space pen.

I do have a jotter with fisher refill in my handbag though.

Yep, why not just rotate? :D

As for me, I don't rotate... but I bring a lot of pens on me itself in 3-pen cases. Have two of them in my pocket. I have 2 Pelikan 200 (one vintage from the 70s, the other a 2012 Special Edition Demo), a Platinum Preppy, a Stipula Speed fountain pen, a TWSBI Classic and a Pilot Custom 74. Also, I have a card holder in which I placed a Fisher bullet Space Pen, for those occasions when one cannot write with a FP!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I recommend a common everyday Jotter (that flighter seems too nice to get beat up in your pocket!) and a Parker gel refill. The Parker gel seems to write on paper that others can't (at work I often have to write on the backside of carbon form paper.) At least if the Jotter gets beat up or damaged you're not out much money and can easily buy another one. I got mine for about $6 at Staples.

If you really want to carry in your jeans pocket, then a Kaweco or something like a Fisher bullet pen are about your only options.

Personally, I'd suggest finding a way to carry it somewhere else.

The Kaweco Sport is one of my EDC, front pants pocket pens. I grab it as much or more than a Franklin Christoph Pocket 40. But my real, no bs, have it with me all the time... is a pair of Kaweco Lilliputs in the leather sleeve.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/a2d398eb-68c2-491a-a806-8963f8f3f6f8_zps3e912153.jpghttp://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/480ac0f2-8482-4e01-b6fd-aadf76c847fc_zps1b597ef1.jpg

I'd take the clip off the Kaweco and throw it in your pocket with a couple of spare cartridges of a permanent ink of your choice in a small tin. Cheap, fairly tough, replaceable if you break it, and a reliable workhorse

Edited by PDW

I take my Pilot VP and put it in a leather slip if I don't have a shirt pocket to clip it in and need to carry it in my pants. However, it's not exactly a "bang around" type pen.

The EDC pens I have used when I don't have a shirt pocket clip a pen to are:

Fisher Bullet space pen for pants pocket carry,

Lamy Safari fountain pen clipped backwards on a t-shirt,

Montblanc Mozart fountain pen for watch pocket carry.

The fisher bullet space pen is extremely durable and fine for taking short notes but I did not find it comfortable for use in long writing sessions.

The Montblanc Mozart pen is good for short notes or long writing sessions but I do not take it with me when working outside.

I rarely clip the Lamy Safari to a t-shirt because of the potential danger, but it is very handy when carried there.

I'd take the clip off the Kaweco and throw it in your pocket with a couple of spare cartridges of a permanent ink of your choice in a small tin. Cheap, fairly tough, replaceable if you break it, and a reliable workhorse

+1 if I'm not wearing a conventional jacket with inside chest pockets. It is what it was designed for wasn't it?

Edited by Journaler

I remember reading that somebody had managed to break a couple of regular plastic Kaweco Sports in his pants pockets. I'd recommend Aluminium Al Sport. Sadly you cant make it into a ED, but you can increase the capacity by hacking it into a bulb filler.

Non notisi signi.

Have you tried a Preppy or Petit1? @$3, refillable and both can be EDed. I've heard reports of the Platinum cracking and the clips breaking on both, but you aren't asking about clipping it on the pocket. While cheap, I find they both write much better than they should. Just a thought.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

I think it boils down to your type of employment. I carried a "space pen" when I was in the military (hadn't beem introduced to FPs yet). Noe I work in retail management and carry a few FPs every day. Being as my job sometimes requires physical labor I carry inexpensive/durable pens. I almost always have an old Sheaffer School cartridge pen just because they write so amazingly. I have also been carrying either a Noodlers Nib Creeper or Pilot Metropolitan. Any of those wouldn't be a huge loss if it were to break. When I am the floor manager, I usually carry the Pilot Metro and when it arrives I will be swapping that with my Karras Kustoms Ink.

Edited by AZBennett

Cue the Most Interesting Man in the World: "I don't always wear jeans, but when I do, I prefer a Fisher bullet pen."

That only applies with t-shirts or polos because if my shirt has a pocket, a FOUNTAIN PEN absolutely is going with me ;-)

I always have a Lamy Pico ballpoint and a Franklin-Christoph Pocket 40 (14k B nib) in my front-right pocket.

What standard international carts can you buy that are permanent?

Filling the cart in the pen is possible, but to carry a few around in your pocket, you wouldn't want to rely on a cart that has a bit of tape over it, you would want an ink that you can buy so they are closed properly

Obviously permanence is relative, but thinking I can't think of too many.

Pelikan Blue Black

Pelikan Black

Those would definitely stand up to a soaking, maybe J Herbin Pearle Noir? or Diamine Onyx Black......

But not a lot of other choices, unless I am wrong?

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

After losing first a Parker 45 and the next day a Pilot Metropolitan recently while clipped to the placket of a polo shirt that didn't have a pocket, for outdoor use I would use a ballpoint or maybe a gel pen if I was going to carry it in my pants on regular basis. (cost me roughly $50 including shipping to replace them).

The Jotter bp is a good choice - regular or flighter version. Easily (and cheaply) replaceable. But if it must be a FP then use some sort of single/double pen case to throw it in for safety sake.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain