Ink Storage

WateryFlow

What does everyone use to store their inks?

As of a few hours ago I've started storing my 30ml (Diamine) inks in a storage box originally designed for essential oils. And they fit perfectly! You can buy them for about 5 - 13 quid on amazon or ebay so they're pretty inexpensive

I gather that inks, like essential oils, need to be stored away from light.

http://i.imgur.com/te4GWVD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zw3vX36.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YOWGMJo.jpg

Edited by WateryFlow

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WateryFlow

• amberleadavis

• zepp

• fountainpagan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a great idea ! Thanks for sharing. My inks are stored in cigar boxes all over my office - not the best, but o.k. for now I guess.

No problem

You can buy boxes with room for 6, 12, or 24 inks(oils) so it's quite flexible. Tons of them available too. Just search for essential oil storage on amazon and ebay

Edited by WateryFlow

I am currently using an antique medicine cabinet for my inks, but I am running out of room in it. And, of course, the problem with using a cabinet is that you can't get to the bottles in the back without pulling everything off of the shelf, so it isn't the best way to store ink in the first place.

I like your essential oil storage box idea, WateryFlow, but it would be hard to find one to accommodate all the different sizes and shapes of ink bottles that I have, so I will have to find something else. I imagine I will end up making something for my ink storage - given my poor woodworking skills, it will no doubt need to remain hidden from the public, lol, but it will be fun to make and even better to have something that will keep my inks safe, help me to organize them, and allow me to quickly find just the ink I wanted.

I look forward to seeing what others use for their ink storage.

Holly

but it would be hard to find one to accommodate all the different sizes and shapes of ink bottles that I have, so I will have to find something else.

I see what you mean but essential oils come in different sizes too so that may not be a problem. I've seen boxes which accomodate a range of sizes

Edited by WateryFlow

That box is really nice looking! Unfortunately, most of my bottles are full-size, so they wouldn't fit in a box like this.

I keep the inks in their original boxes, whenever possible, and then keep them in a couple of nice looking storage boxes (with lids) from IKEA. A third box contains the ink sample vial trays, although a few of the samples haven't been put away....

The only problem is a vintage 8 oz. bottle of Skrip Peacock Blue, which is a bit too tall for the boxes. Right now it's wrapped in a plastic grocery bag (which is how I got it home from the antiques mall where I bought it) and on the shelf between the two boxes. Not sure what to do, since I don't really want to store it on its side. Even the bottle of vintage Quink Violet fits, but the Skrip bottle just doesn't stand upright with the box lid on.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I had a quick look for you but couldn't see any where they have much space for larger bottles, sadly. I can't think of anything offhand which would suit your situation

I just store them in their boxes in one of my drawers. Then again, I only started with FPs and inks last month, so my ink collection is not big(yet... :rolleyes: )

http://i57.tinypic.com/3358sbc.jpg

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Right now in their boxes, on a bankers box sitting on its side and being used like a shelf. I need to shuffle some stuff around to make more room.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

SujiCorp, I think you're doing pretty well! Some nice ink there, and I count 28 boxes of ink, presumably with 28 bottles of ink. That's a whole lot more than me. But not as much as I'd like. :)

I used to be able to fit all of my ink inside a round box less than 10" in diameter, but four of the bottles were little Herbin bottles, and one Aurora narrow one. But the Omas Roma 2000 is pretty round. . I've begun to spill out of that a little bit, and out onto my dresser. No direct light or even much sunlight there. It won't be long before I need some kind of system.

Anyone ever use the tiered shelves used for spices? Like These. Not very pretty, but should work pretty well. At least you'd be able to see it all.

These are a bit better looking, and also look like they'd be dead easy to make yourself. Doesnt' address the Light issue, but would help with organization.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

In my drawer with other stuffs, I really like your wooden box! :thumbup:

http://puu.sh/9CfCw/86ab10d671.jpg

Edited by zepp

Careful when buying a bird.. you'll end up with a flock before you know it.

Zepp, you need to follow SujiCorp's example, a gentleman shall always have no less than two Kon Peki's (or Asa Gao's, depending on his preference of teal-vs-purple shade).

I actually shall follow this too as this is the 3rd week since I ran out of Asa Gao and the replacement is still in the mail.... :angry:

Zepp, you need to follow SujiCorp's example, a gentleman shall always have no less than two Kon Peki's (or Asa Gao's, depending on his preference of teal-vs-purple shade).

I actually shall follow this too as this is the 3rd week since I ran out of Asa Gao and the replacement is still in the mail.... :angry:

Bah, we'll see when I get my Asa Gao and when my wallet will stop bleeding :P

Careful when buying a bird.. you'll end up with a flock before you know it.

OH MY that link was great.

I really liked this -- This is NOT my work.

This was Leafless in Seattle.

12/30/13 Diamine Chocolate Brown and Platinum Carbon inks,
Sailor pen, Zig markers, Canson Montval 140 lb. paper

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cQ0yp5Uz1YU/UsIYRQmhvpI/AAAAAAAAFts/hI1mLGgRktQ/s1600/12-30-13+D.+Choc+Brown,+Plat+Carbon,+Zig+markers,+Canson+Montval,+Maple+Leaf+neighborhood+traffic+circle.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

No problem

You can buy boxes with room for 6, 12, or 24 inks(oils) so it's quite flexible. Tons of them available too. Just search for essential oil storage on amazon and ebay

Wow, those are great.

Saskia Madding uses big plastic containers.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I was in a bunch of antiques places today (okay, well, technically yesterday since it's now after midnight here) and in one place they had this wooden crate that was designed to carry soda bottles. Was tempted, but of course it didn't have any sort of lid.

So, instead, I bought a pen in another place. For probably a lot less money.... :rolleyes:

Of course, I'm wondering now what will happen when the ink stash outgrows those two IKEA boxes (the third box has room for one more ink vial tray, so I'm okay for the moment there... ;)).

And then there are *also* all the old journal volumes. Soon there won't be room on the bookcase I bought for all my pen stuff. :o I'm going have to get some sort of storage container for the journals and there's really only room on the shelves for one more of those IKEA boxes... Which currently *doesn't* include the zippered pen cases, or the basket I use to haul notebooks and stuff around in....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 months later...

Most of my few inks are in a shallow desk drawer, but Noodler's inks do not fit. I stopped by the local smoke shop yesterday and picked up a square, deep, wood cigar box that will hold 9 (3 X 3) Noodler's ink boxes. I am not a collector of inks, so that should be sufficient for storing my inks for a long time.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Your box is very beautiful, Wateryflow. Where did you get it?

I use this the box for the samples

And use the drawers of a little chest I made dor the bottles of ink
Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo