Best Blue Ink For Shading?

adamedwards

Hello,

I love inks that have a lot of shading. which do people think is the best blue ink for shading?

Thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Fabienne

• doggonecarl

• kmonroe99

I am also looking for a nice blue shader.

I have found that private reserve Ebony blue shades rather nicely between dark blue and black.

But I would love a light blue to turquoise shader and the only ink that I have been able to find that do that is the discontinued "noodler Britannia's Blue Waves".

A lot of the Sailor blues (including those they make for Bung Box and Kobe Nagasawa) are good shaders. You can find reviews of many of them in the Ink Review section. (Look on the index under Sailor.)

But I would love a light blue to turquoise shader and the only ink that I have been able to find that do that is the discontinued "noodler Britannia's Blue Waves".

With the right pen, for instance, my Conway Stewart with its Smoothline med stub, I get good shading from Waterman's South Sea Blue.

Most blue inks exhibit shading. It would be easier to try to nail down a list of blues that are so saturated that they don't shade.

For which is "best", that's awfully subjective. Edelstein Topaz shades from a light turquoise-ish to a deep reddish blue. Montblanc Royal Blue and most J. Herbins create a stark contrast between the shaded/non-shaded area. Many De Atramentis inks create gradual shading. Which one is "a lot of shading"?

The highest shading that I have used are Sailor Yama Dori and Waterman South Seas Blue (or whatever insipid new name it goes by). :) Noodler's Navy is also highly shading for me.

I was really surprised by how well Noodler's Blue and Noodler's Navy shade. I don't really like blue ink, but I like these two.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Akkerman Shocking Blue for me. It is just about perfect and it has a great sheen, too. I liked Sailor Sky High Blue but that one is no longer sold. Diamine China Blue is a beauty and shaded in a great way. The iron gall blue/blacks shade well, and R&K Salix and Scabiosa are winners, even more so when mixed together.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

My best shading blues are Noodler's Liberty Elysium and Ottoman Azure.

Ottoman Azure has gorgeous shading.

Anne Gray

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet, without a doubt. It shades wonderfully and is my favorite blue, though it's somewhat high-maintenance.

Noodler's Navy is a super-shading ink, but it almost seems exaggerated to the point of looking unnatural. It's not really the "classic" shading look.

I've been meaning to get some Herbin Bleu Nuit, but haven't done so yet. Vert Empire is fantastic, so I'd love to find a blue counterpart of that.

Waterman is good for anything.

I hope this helped!

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Levenger Empyrean is a pretty good shader. I only had a sample, but really enjoyed it.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Rohrer and Klingner Salix is a relatively safe iron gall ink that shades nicely even on cheaper paper. Unlike most iron gall blues, it dries to a blue/blue-gray and not a blue-black colour.

Sailor's new Nioi Sumire (Violet Scent, rough translation). Just a bit tough to capture the effect. That said, it shades, and has plenty of red sheen.

IMG_20140617_214406.jpg

Written with a Lamy Dialog 3 :wub:

Calculating.