Old Parker Pen Identification

Paul Sloggett

This old fountain pen belonged to my grandfather and I think is at least more than 40 years old. It still works beautifully. My grandfather couldn't read or write but he could sign his name so that's all it may have been used for. Does anyone have an idea about model or history please?

post-113538-0-45612900-1400877517_thumb.jpg
Thanks
Paul
paul@stamfordnotebooks.co.uk

post-113538-0-45612900-1400877517_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Sloggett

• Bo Bo Olson

• The Blue Knight

• Freddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you are right 'The Blue Knight'. Thanks for the information. It does look very much like a Parker 17.

It seems it might not be a rare or particularly interesting pen. However, what's great is that we are still using the old thing to test the paper in the notebooks we make to ensure fountain pen frendliness. I think my grandfather would be proud.

Thank you

Paul

:W2FPN:

Dyslexia was not understood back then...both Liston and Ali were dyslexic. There are stages. It has nothing to do with raw intelligence.

I hope you can clean up and use that pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Paul..Welcome Aboard! Enjoy your time here....

For your consideration..from Tony Fischier's excellent site....

What Model Is My Pen?....

http://www.parkerpens.net/apis.html

For the Parker 75's L.T. Wong's excellent site....

http://www.parker75.com/

For the Parker 51.... Ernesto Soler's excellent site....

http://www.parker51.com/index.html

Fred

You could well be right Bo Bo Olson. My grandfather may well have been dyslexic. Never thought of that before. Thinking about it he may have had coping strategies, he told many interesting stories

He ended up with 26 patents of his own and a share in an engineering company employing 100 people. He said he would not employ more than 100 people because if he did he could not remember all their names. He was very handy in making anything. His patents here.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/searchResults?compact=false&ST=advanced&IN=frank+bernard+harley&locale=en_EP&DB=EPODOC

Isn't it interesting he couldn't read and write and never saw the internet but yet here his name is for all the world to see. He'd have been amazed.

Paul

Your Gramps had better than raw intelligence.

He had a good and wise partner too.

I can not imagine the difficulty he had to have had to get through any apprentice system to be a tool maker to advance into engineering boots. I am making an assumption here of course.

:P Of course he could have hung around the right bar solving problems for engineers until offered a job.

Some of the Dyslexic listen very well, and have fine memories. I had changed my mind on something, and one I knew said, that wasn't what I said twenty years before. :unsure:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That's an excellent pen, the 17. It will write for decades to come.

English Parkers were true gems, from bottom to top of the line.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809