Looking For Comparable Pens - Pelikan M800, Montblanc #149

markh58

For the past 20 years I’ve been using as a daily driver a MB #146 LeGrand. Without any real sound reason I’ve recently been stung by the compulsion to have more than one pen. I know it is not practical but for reasons that are difficult to comprehend I find it necessary to own several FPs. So far I’ve enabled my new obsession by buying MB #149, Delta Dolcevita (mid-size), Pilot 823, Pelkin M800, Pelkin M600, and Conklin Endura. Thinking that the next one will certainty put an end to this madness I’m looking to add a Pilot 854 or Omas, or Sailor.

What is at issue and the reason for my post is that being new to FP collecting (I’ve been lurking on TFPN for many months) I have a limited knowledge on comparable sizing of FPs. The size (girth) that I prefer is one that best equals my M800, MB #149 or my

Delta Dolcevita (mid-size). My M600 although a great pen is too small in girth for my taste.

Any suggestions on what names and models to consider would be appreciated.

Edited by markh58

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markh58

• kazoolaw

• jimk

• Ecriveur

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the m800 is = 146 and m1000= 149, both are flagships. I would check out Montgrappa or Visconti personally

Wit is educated insolence.

Richard Binder's site, http://www.richardspens.com/, has a "compare the pen" feature. In addition to the pens they sell, the feature will pull up almost two dozen "reference" pens...well-known pens, such as the MB 146 and 149 and the Parker 51, that he does not sell.

I can't remember if John Mottishaw has a similar feature (nibs.com), but John sells Sailor pens. My first thought: consider a Sailor full sized 1911, the Sailor Realo, a piston-filler, or the Sailor "King of Pens".

Also consider the Sheaffer PfM or its modern cousin, the Sheaffer Legacy / Heritage. The Legacy is about the same size and shape as the PfM, has the same inlaid nib, but is much heavier.

What's the PfM? About 1959, the PfM and the Parker 61 and 51 were about the same price as a Mont Blanc 146; Sheaffer and Parker were the global leaders in fountain pens. The biggest of the big.

Here's more information about the PfM, introduced by the incomparable Jimmy Durante:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7xaKZf9Ew#t=13

or

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear

Delta Dolce Vita OS

Tibaldi 60

Danitrio Sho Genkai

Visconti Wall Street

and yes, nibs.com has a comparison page

gary

Thanks a ton for the feedback and suggestions, I'm checking each of them out.

More thoughts and recomendations would be appreciated, (did I say one more pen and my belly would be full ?)

Dani Trio Cum Laude. Nice Italian celluloid, cheap (saw one here or on Pentrace for ~$70), nice writers, the size of a M1000 or 149. Omas 360 (older style). And, there are several folks here who can turn a pen to your specs and do a really nice job of it, and it would be less than some of the pens you are looking at. (Check the Pen Turning Forum)

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I should have also noted that I am considering the Pilot 845, but have been advised that it's size is the same as my 823. Yes / No ?

I should have also noted that I am considering the Pilot 845, but have been advised that it's size is the same as my 823. Yes / No ?

Hi,

You should consider the TWSBI line. I have a TWSBI Vac 700 which is just as large as my Pelikan 800.

The pen writes very nicely and costs under $100.

I bought mine from Gouletpens.com.

TWSBI also makes a Model 580 I think, which is similar in size to the Vac 700.

Goulet Pens also carries the Jin Hao line which has a very large pen model as well.

Goulet's website also specifies all dimensions for there pens.

Good luck.

Joe

why, the conway stewart churchill, of course, if girth is what you're after. and the parker duofold centennial and international, with the centennial being slightly larger and thicker.

if you want an iconic big, fat vintage pen, try a parker big red duofold.

Check out my blog and my pens

For the past 20 years I’ve been using as a daily driver a MB #146 LeGrand. Without any real sound reason I’ve recently been stung by the compulsion to have more than one pen. I know it is not practical but for reasons that are difficult to comprehend I find it necessary to own several FPs. So far I’ve enabled my new obsession by buying MB #149, Delta Dolcevita (mid-size), Pilot 382, Pelkin M800, Pelkin M600, and Conklin Endura. Thinking that the next one will certainty put an end to this madness I’m looking to add a Pilot 854 or Omas, or Sailor.

What is at issue and the reason for my post is that being new to FP collecting (I’ve been lurking on TFPN for many months) I have a limited knowledge on comparable sizing of FPs. The size (girth) that I prefer is one that best equals my M800, MB #149 or my

Delta Dolcevita (mid-size). My M600 although a great pen is too small in girth for my taste.

Any suggestions on what names and models to consider would be appreciated.

I'd consider a Pilot Custom 823, a Platinum 3776 or a Yard-O-Led Retro.

In addition to the vintage Parker Duofold Big Red you might like the modern Parker Duofold Centennial. I have these and a Pelikan M800; for me they are comparable in size and feel in the hand.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

In the vintage vein:

Sheaffer Balance OS

Sheaffer Flat top OS

Wall Decoband Gold Seal

Onoto Magna (the original, not the modern)

My advice:

Parker Duofold Centennial. In size like Pelikan M800, a tad bigger than the MB 146. Today Parker sells only black and Pearl & Black, but you should be able to find a lot of other colours. The range of colours is incredible. Here some Duofolds compared with Pelikan M800's:http://imageshack.com/a/img9/8030/vtsn.jpg

Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher. (Einstein)

http://www.facebook.com/GuentherDebertin

WOW thanks for all the suggestions, very appreciated..!

Looks like there are several votes for the Parker Duofold Centennial so I'll start there 1st.

Any thougths on comparing in size the Pilot Custom 823 and Pilot Custom 845 ?