Sheaffer Reminder Clip Ballpoint Problem

BamaPen

OK, this IS the FOUNTAIN Pen Network, but perhaps someone can help me with a problem...

I have a Sheaffer Imperial "Reminder Clip" ballpoint pen and the clip is stuck in the position in which the ballpoint should be retracted. But, it won't press in to extend the ballpoint cartridge.

Looking into the cap, it looks as if the plastic piece that should be right at the end of the ballpoint cartridge is instead pushed way up into the top of the cap. I can't seem to figure out any way to move it at all.

Any suggestions?

John

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BamaPen

• Chthulhu

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure precisely which pen you have, but some of the earlier reminder clip ballpoints used a refill whose butt end had a conical cap with "wings" or "ears," and the later ones won't work in them. Of mine, those that don't work with the newer refills are all Stylist pens with the "hatchet" clip. Of the three below, the one on the left requires the "winged" refill. The refill shown is actually a current-production refill with the end cap transplanted from a much older refill. The other two use current-production refills.

fpn_1392866190__img_3442a.jpg

Edited by Chthulhu

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Mine is the Imperial style pen. I suppose you would describe its clip as "hatchet" style.

My problem is that it just won't move at all, not even with no refill in the pen. The clip is presently in the "out" position - the refill should be retracted - and will not press in at all to extend the refill.

I don't quite see how the refill could be the problem here.

Ah. I misunderstood the problem: you hadn't mentioned that the clip won't move at all, even with the refill out of the pen. Was the pen like this when you acquired it, or is this a new problem for a previously-working pen?

The "hatchet" clip is the one on the Styilst, furthest left in my photo.

Mike Hungerford

I found it in a parts bin with no refill in it. It was in this condition when i found it.

As I said, when I look up into the cap, there is a plastic piece that seems to be pushed way up in the top of the cap. I think if there were a way to pull that piece down, then things might work.

Here's a cross section of the "reminder clip" pen with the "hatchet" clip. When I peer up into my cap, I see what appears to be the "control cam" piece has been pushed all the way up into the cap. In that position, it holds the "clip tension spring" firmly up against the inside of the cap, forcing the clip up. Unless I can find a way to retrieve the "control cam" I won't be able to fix this problem. Suggestions??

http://www.pendemonium.com/images/pens/sheaffer/shf_reminderclip_diagram.gif

Okay, just took a look up inside one of mine, and here's a possibility: the "control cam" may have been rotated inside the barrel. I was tinkering with mine, trying to see whether I could get to the cam by poking a needle under the clip, and suddenly found that my pen's slip wouldn't press in, just as you described. When I looked I found the cam rotated, but was able to correct it with a screwdriver. If you look, you'll see that half the recess in the cam is a ramp (the one in the image you posted is different from what's in my pen), and that side needs to be toward the clip. If it isn't, try a jeweler's screwdriver and see it the cam will turn for you.

The cam does normally sit deeply in the cap; I don't *think* it could be driven in farther without breaking either it or bending the tension spring.

Mike Hungerford

Thanks, with your comment I noticed a small slot that seems to be just exactly for the purpose of turning the cam with a screwdriver. And it's free!