New-To-Me Wearever Pennant Needs Repairs/reassembly

ymir

I got this Wearever Pennant in the mail today. The lever is quite loose and I'm not sure if the ink sac is perforated. The two pieces of metal visible fell out when I took it apart. I guess they belong somewhere between lever and sac, but I'm not sure. How do I put those back in?

post-109607-0-45692100-1392028557_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ymir

• redbike

• pen lady

• tmenyc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The two pieces are the broken one piece "J-bar" which sits inside the barrel with its upright long side against the lever. Raising the lever pushes the J-bar against the sac, and releasing it inflates the sac which draws ink into the sac. You'll need to get another J-bar. It's also a good idea to replace the sac if you don't know when it was last done.

This link may be helpful.

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/anatomy/lever.htm

Good luck.

The two pieces are the broken one piece "J-bar" which sits inside the barrel with its upright long side against the lever. Raising the lever pushes the J-bar against the sac, and releasing it inflates the sac which draws ink into the sac. You'll need to get another J-bar. It's also a good idea to replace the sac if you don't know when it was last done.

This link may be helpful.

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/anatomy/lever.htm

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I found where the sac is perforated as well, so I'll need to either repair it or replace it. Which j-bar do you recon I'll need? There wasn't an industry standard or something back in the day, was there? Maybe I can strip my Osmiroid?

J bars come in at least three sizes. One vendor I use sells them in 40, 54 and 62 mm lengths. They can be trimmed down if they don't fit.

This is the vendor, there are others as well. I have no affiliation with this vendor, I'm just an occasional purchaser. They also sell replacement sacs and shellac.

http://fountainpensacs.com/j_and__pressure_bars.html

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I found where the sac is perforated as well, so I'll need to either repair it or replace it. Which j-bar do you recon I'll need? There wasn't an industry standard or something back in the day, was there? Maybe I can strip my Osmiroid?

J bars come in at least three sizes. One vendor I use sells them in 40, 54 and 62 mm lengths. They can be trimmed down if they don't fit.

This is the vendor, there are others as well. I have no affiliation with this vendor, I'm just an occasional purchaser. They also sell replacement sacs and shellac.

http://fountainpensacs.com/j_and__pressure_bars.html

Good luck.

What about sac sizes? I've never had to replace one before

I've recently re-saced some Wearevers and I think they took a size 16 sac. To be certain, measured the diameter of the nipple in 64th of an inch. Whatever the measurement is is 64ths, that's the sac size. Good luck.

I've recently re-saced some Wearevers and I think they took a size 16 sac. To be certain, measured the diameter of the nipple in 64th of an inch. Whatever the measurement is is 64ths, that's the sac size. Good luck.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll try that size when I order a sac for it.

Pennants definitely are 16 size sacs. I just checked a few from my bag o' Pennant parts.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Pennants definitely are 16 size sacs. I just checked a few from my bag o' Pennant parts.

Tim

Thanks for your reply. Good to have confirmation. :)

I have one of these pens in red and gold tone. Thanks to this thread I now know what the pen is and what size sac to use to resac it. Unfortunately the pen has a slight banana shape. I love the feed, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.