Two Parker Centennial Replicas In Titanium

thompenshop

There are a multitude of materials from which one can turn writing instruments but medal pens are stunning to look at, feel of, and write with. They make such an emphatic statement of elegant design.

This morning I finished turning these two sample replicas of the 1990's limited editions of the Parker Centennial. I had turned several Centennial pens in the past but in materials other than medal. These were turned in Titanium. I invested approximately 12 hours in each pen. Were I to turn one of these pens for a customer, I suspect they would fetch around $800-$1,000. each. For many collectors that seems expensive. Although the Centennial seems simple, there more parts to the pen than realized at a casual glance. The cap alone has nine parts ( including trim parts). That is a lot of detail and many tool setups at the machine. The nib alone is difficult to find for less than $125. Trim parts add an additional $150. A stick of Titanium demands around $400. for a 6 foot piece.

The bottom line is that there is much more involved in turning one of these pens than sticking a piece of material in the lathe and turning on the machine. However, the work is very rewarding. I hope you can enjoy my experience and investment of approximately 24 hours of shop time.

Chris Thompson

Thompson Pens

post-14108-0-91690700-1388528626_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-87111200-1388528678_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-66527300-1388528735_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-04404100-1388528789_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-80311100-1388529047_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thompenshop

• Gerd W

• Aramchek

• my63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's gorgeous! And, being titanium, it should probably last quite a few centuries (although the tipping might need replacing a few times!)

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Very nice indeed. It's like Terminator Parker returning from the future. I wonder, should the older style with straight side cap top have either no medallion or the one with the geometric and 'Parker Duofold' in the ring around it? I thought the Duofold banner medallion was used in only the later version with slanted side cap tops and matching banner on nib. Those nibs are indeed getting hard to source. Parker says they only have the Ace versions now. Have to buy a pen to get them unless happen across NOS.

Wow, just WOW!!!!!!:)

I have seen pens made by Chris, and these ones are even more impressive. Unfortunately, I cant afford Chris' creations at this time.:(

Very nice indeed. It's like Terminator Parker returning from the future. I wonder, should the older style with straight side cap top have either no medallion or the one with the geometric and 'Parker Duofold' in the ring around it? I thought the Duofold banner medallion was used in only the later version with slanted side cap tops and matching banner on nib. Those nibs are indeed getting hard to source. Parker says they only have the Ace versions now. Have to buy a pen to get them unless happen across NOS.

You are correct as far as I know. The ones made in the 1980's did not have the medallion on top. The black pen pictured does not. My customer wanted the medallion on top so he gets it that way.

superb work :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Is your customer going to write with it or is for "collecting"? How heavy is it?

Definitely some beautiful work and workmanship.

Thank you for sharing the fruits of your expertise.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Is your customer going to write with it or is for "collecting"? How heavy is it?

Definitely some beautiful work and workmanship.

Thank you for sharing the fruits of your expertise.

Yes, this customer will be writing with both of these pens. They are heavier than a plastic pen but not heavy enough to make them unduly. I have carried Ti pens in a starched shirt pocket all day with on problem. It is uncomfortable however, in an un-starched pocket.