Help Identify This Dip Pen?

ProfessorB

I know very little about dip pens. Any chance you could tell me what we are looking at here? Model, year, anything? I'm sure it's a Mabie-Todd.

Long story about why identifying this is so important, but really hoping someone can give me a quick response.
I'd be ever so grateful!
post-99968-0-95500400-1387401440_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ProfessorB

• jbb

• Scribblesoften

Is there a better place I can post this to reach out to more folks in the dip pen world ? Tried emailing the mabie -Todd info guy who had shown up in older, related threads, but the mabie -Todd America site is no longer active , and he has not replied. C'mone guys , little help here ?

I will post a picture of the nib and check for further engraving on it this afternoon when I am back where the pen is siting. Thanks, Retrogrouch. I should have known that information would help!

OK, finally got my hands on this pen, and it is a pretty cool little specimen. I would still like to know when it was made, and whether it is of interest to collectors. And if so, how much interest.

Here is what I know, and what I can infer (and just guess) by looking it over.

Mabie Todd & Co. #4, which is engraved into the gold on the side of the pen. To someone like me who knows hardly anything about dip pens, that doesn't narrow things down much, since there are tons of Mabie Todd & Co. No. 4's, right?

The cool thing: It appears to be both a retractable nib model and also a snorkel-like mechanical pencil. Right?

I had gotten the tube that looks like a lead holder to fully expand, just past that "outer nib" or "nib protector" or whatever it is that looks like a nib. It was twisting the black part of the pen that did that.

Help me out in understanding this pen. The retractable nib seems to work by sliding the ring toward the nib end of the pen. It is sort of stuck and I don't want to force things. That seems to be the real nib, as opposed to the brass-colored outer nib-like thing.

Here are the photos. Teach me, please!

post-99968-0-49924500-1387638122.jpgpost-99968-0-74158600-1387638123.jpgpost-99968-0-37962500-1387638125.jpg

You are out of my depth. I am not familiar with the retractable nib pens. As noted by another poster Mabie Todd pens are collectible. One of the questions would be whether the nib is original. If so you have a very nice pen.

thanks, grouch. sure looks like an original nib. (define "nice," ha ha.)

now off to find people who who are familiar with this period and type pen. Any suggestions from anyone passing by?

I've been meaning to write more on this post but things are crazy busy for me right now. (I even pulled out all my retractable pens to take a photo -- but haven't gotten there yet.) Prices for these sorts of pens are all over the map on Ebay. That's the best place for you to look for something comparable. Search: retractable dip pens, telescoping dip pens, traveling dip pens, etc.

....but the important part: How does the pen write??? Some of these sorts of pens have deliciously flexy nibs. :)

can't get the nib to extend far enough to dip it and see how it writes, but it appears to be in great shape, and does indeed appear to be quite thin, soft, and flexible.

And the mechanical pencil telescope thingy did extend and retract once or twice, but now doesn't. Afraid to force it until I learn more about how to fixit. I have searched the web for a match with no luck so far.

Thanks for anything you can tell me when you get a moment!

The mechanics, as far as I can tell, are just tubes sliding inside other tubes. The slidey-things (technical term) get stuck. I've used a bit of force on mine but you could break something or make it worse so I'm not recommending that YOU do that.

You could try a Google patent search of these sorts of pens that might show how they're constructed.

OOOh, I have a pen almost identical to yours and mine was stuck too so just now I put some sewing machine oil down the center and it no longer sticks. I don't know if that is a recommended practice.

OOOh, I have a pen almost identical to yours and mine was stuck too so just now I put some sewing machine oil down the center and it no longer sticks. I don't know if that is a recommended practice.

Picture? (Pretty please, whenever you get a chance...)

Wow, that is interesting. 1880's? (Just guessing) Does yours have that telescoping mechanical pencil, too? Looks too compact for that. Great design.