• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlueLotus

• Hooker56

• Fabienne

• pokermon

Lotus,

IIRC, they are made from a vegetable based celluliod. I have several Noodler's AHABs and they all stink to high heaven. The oldest (about 1 yr old) has lost some of it's fragrance, but still isn't entirely gone. Some of my old Parker Vacs and challengers have a different, but persistent odor as well.

I would NOT recommend soaking. Just leave them out on a desk where they can off-gas without bothering you. Eventually you'll be able to carry them in your top pocket and not notice. :P

Happy Holidays!

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

I got a little trick to accelerate the process. I put mine(not noodler's, but same stuff that stinks) next to my laptop while using it. The warm air that vents out of the laptop made it smell ALOT less after just two hours. I came up with the idea since many FPNers report that using it made the smell go away. So I thought maybe it was the heat from the hand. My pen still smells, but its not as pungent as before. Just make sure the temperature is warm and not hot, so you don't do any damage.

Pen blog of current inventory

Enjoy life, and keep on writing!

-Tommy

OK. Will have to try something like that. Maybe I'll place them over my heating vents in my house for a few days to get the warm air blowing over them.

Thanks.

Lotus,

IIRC, they are made from a vegetable based celluliod. I have several Noodler's AHABs and they all stink to high heaven. The oldest (about 1 yr old) has lost some of it's fragrance, but still isn't entirely gone. Some of my old Parker Vacs and challengers have a different, but persistent odor as well.

I would NOT recommend soaking. Just leave them out on a desk where they can off-gas without bothering you. Eventually you'll be able to carry them in your top pocket and not notice. :P

Happy Holidays!

Clayton

Your old Vacs and Challengers smell is similar to Camphor which is the outgassing smell of celluloid.

It's essentially a pleasant smell.

You can actually rub an old pen with your fingers to tell if its Celluloid by the smell.

Edited by framebaer

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

You can actually rub an old pen with your fingers to tell if its Celluloid by the smell.

Interesting Framebaer,

I just need to rub enough to create a little heat from friction and then smell to tell?

Great tip when trying to identify some of the older pens in the wild.

Thanks!

Edited by Hooker56

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

Bury body and cap in baking soda overnight. Repeat if necessary.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg