Yves Saint Laurent Pen

bernardo

I found this interesting pen at a flea market. It bears the designer brand Yves Saint Laurent, but I've never seen this kind of stuff from them before.

The pen is good looking, it's all metal and a little cigar shaped. The cap has a golden ring imprinted Yves Saint Laurent Paris, the clip has an incredible spring, and bears the legend Made in France behind.

The pen is a cartridge filler. The barrel has a stop inside, which makes impossible to carry a spare cartridge. The section is metal too, with the exception of the screw, which is plastic. The nib, an EF to me, has the YSL logo engraved, but no other markings. I don't know what material it is, but it may be gold.

All in all an interesting find, and a good writer too.

Some pics:

fpn_1384792753__p1000677.jpg

fpn_1384792805__p1000688.jpg

fpn_1384792841__p1000678.jpg

fpn_1384792883__p1000679.jpg

fpn_1384792924__p1000683.jpg

fpn_1384792965__p1000686.jpg

fpn_1384793001__p1000687.jpg

fpn_1384793026__p1000684.jpg

fpn_1384793057__p1000685.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bernardo

• Shelumiel

• Scribblesoften

• Cake

That's a nice looking pen. YSL changed their branding to Saint Laurent (except for beauty products) so that's a cool piece to have in a collection.

The nib looks kind of Watermanish but a lot of pens from the 80's and 90's had those style nibs. Nothing definitive.

• 1 year later...

Many of these fountain pens from <not fountain pen making brands> had been made by Mutschler/ Reform in Germany. I am pretty sure that leastways the nib is a Reform, the metal body is possibly not.

My Yves Saint Laurent pen is quite different, but the nib is very similar. The three letters, YSL, are overlapped identically, but they are done in very thin strokes rather than the thick strokes shown in the OP's photos. As with the OP, there are no other markings on the nib.

I did a little experimenting with a VERY strong circular magnet. I was able to get the magnet to follow the nib across my desk, rolling along behind it. Considering the strength of the magnet it was a very weak attraction, I could barely feel any effect just hold the items in my hands. This from a magnet that I can place on the back of my hand and it will hold up a 3/8" ball bearing on my downward-facing palm. So I'm absolutely certain that my nib is a gold-plated stainless-steel nib. The magnet would not have followed a gold nib, and it would have shown a much, much greater attraction to a plain steel nib.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

• 1 year later...

My wife has a blue/purple sparkly version of this pen, and I have one identical to yours. They pop up on the web occasionally as nos. They are a great writer and called a stylographica I think. No idea who made them but the nibs are great for an extra fine.