Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• ongnon

• KaB

• caliken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few comments:

First, a big :thumbup: for having the discipline to do the exercises. You will thank yourself in the long run.

Second, I have the impression your workbook ruling is too wide for your nib width. I'd suggest figuring which of the guideline sheets in the back of the book matches your nib best and make yourself some photocopies on FP-friendly paper.

Third, consistent letter slope is a challenge (which is a good example of the pot calling the kettle "black!").

Fourth, work on your i's entrance and exit strokes. There should be a hairline entry and exit with a smooth, parabolic transition. (I know some prescribe pointier, angular transitions. I prefer the gracefulness of Reynolds' italic, but then I would.) :happyberet:

Thanks for sharing what you're up to!

Happy writing!

David

THX for the comments.

Very sharp! My notebook ruling is indeed 1mm too wide.I'll try the B-page in the book (can copy it tomorrow) but measuring it, it looks just a little too narrow. So I might have to draw my own page. Or (bright idea) magnify a few procent when making the fotocopy!

Slope: indeed: will be a weak point for a long time to come probably.

Entry/exit: thx for the remark, I had the idea the i's improved from the first to the last line and it were the O's that needed most extra work (I can approve of only a few on the whole exercise). But indeed, the i's still have a long way to go too.

KaB

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

The b in be is better than the be in better. The former's slant is consistent with that of the text. The b in better isn't even consistent with itself. (The ascender is curved.) However, in general, your italic is good, especially since you have been working on it such a short time.

David

Thank you David, now I know which letter " b " is better.

Everyday, I'll try to write at least one and post it in this topic :)

Again, after these marvellous examples from masters, some 'first steps'. Almost embarrasing if the topic wasn't called learning italic...

After a few lines I stopped marking the most brutal errors. Instead, I underlined words that I considered acceptable. 8 in total...

14697600509_a0aea25c0f_h.jpg

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Let me help you, KaB. I think you should write on paper which has slant. I try to find and write, in the end I find this pdf in: http://www.printablepaper.net/category/calligraphy.

You can down load from my attach file and write on it.

Happy writting

Ongnon

attachicon.gif11082014944.jpg

attachicon.gif11082014949.jpg

Hi Ongnon,

great thanks. Looks very handy. The angle is very different from what I'm used to practice on (which is supposed to be a 5° angle). Is this for a more cursive version of Italic? Or is there so little agreement on tha anglr italic shouid have? (You can tellI'm a real newbie :) )

14698053935_10aa5f9a39_z.jpg

Hi, KaB

I think when you search " font type " Italic, you can see the slant, it may be more 5° angle

post-109805-0-01829500-1407819218.gif

post-109805-0-45833400-1407819227_thumb.gif

post-109805-0-13948300-1407819529_thumb.jpg

post-109805-0-31527000-1407819546_thumb.jpg

post-109805-0-32950100-1407819557.gif

Edited by ongnon

Hi Ongnon,

great thanks. Looks very handy. The angle is very different from what I'm used to practice on (which is supposed to be a 5° angle). Is this for a more cursive version of Italic? Or is there so little agreement on tha anglr italic shouid have? (You can tellI'm a real newbie :) )

14698053935_10aa5f9a39_z.jpg

The meaning of "italic" in typesetting is not the same or even similar to the meaning in calligraphy. Don't bother to go the "font" comparison route.

There is no one standard angle for italic, anything from zero to fifteen degrees fits the bill. Depends whose model you use and what you like. Five degrees is fine. Just practice well and relax.

Edited by ehemem

The meaning of "italic" in typesetting is not the same or even similar to the meaning in calligraphy. Don't bother to go the "font" comparison route.

There is no one standard angle for italic, anything from zero to fifteen degrees fits the bill. Depends whose model you use and what you like. Five degrees is fine. Just practice well and relax.

+1

Italic in typesetting means sloping.

In Calligraphy it just refers to Italy as the place of origin, and as ehemem says, can be written upright as well as sloping. There are some who believe that the style may have started as an upright script, and naturally developed the slope with the speed of writing.

Edited by Ken Fraser

Again, after these marvellous examples from masters, some 'first steps'. Almost embarrasing if the topic wasn't called learning italic...

After a few lines I stopped marking the most brutal errors. Instead, I underlined words that I considered acceptable. 8 in total...

Nice work....you're making excellent progress.

Ken

Edited by Ken Fraser