Pilot Metro Nib Swappable With Pilot 78G Nib?

ScottT

Title says it all...

I know some of the Pilot nibs are swappable, the 78G with the Plumix I believe, and there is a Penmanship by Pilot that also swaps nibs with the 78G.

Could someone who has both mind a little experiment?

I think the heavier body would be a nice alternative to the 78G's light plastic, and as I prefer the fine nib over medium, if they are swappable, that is an excellent price for a heavy body.

Thanks all,

Scott

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScottT

• inotrym

• tomkeb

• WayTooManyHobbies

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend at work has swapped a 78G fine nib into his Metropolitan - it was easy, and works well.

Yes. I have a 78G in a Metropolitan. It works perfectly. Swapping was very easy.

Does the swap work the other way? That is, could I put a Metropolitan M nib in a 78G?

I'm currently using a 78G at work, and though its light plastic body makes it idea for hanging off of a lanyard I'd really prefer a thicker line in writing.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

Does the swap work the other way? That is, could I put a Metropolitan M nib in a 78G?

I'm currently using a 78G at work, and though its light plastic body makes it idea for hanging off of a lanyard I'd really prefer a thicker line in writing.

Yes.

The Nibs on the Plumix, Metro and 78G are interchangeable with each other. With a little ink on your fingers you can do it when the pen is inked.

I understand the Prera also works, but don't have personal experience.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

One word of warning about the MR vs Metropolitan - it looks and acts like the Metropolitan, but the different versions of the MR/Metropolitan (EU, Asian and US) are slightly different. I hear that the EU MR takes international cartridges and the Asian MR has a Fine nib instead of medium. I would expect that the Asian version can be swapped out just like the US version, but the EU version might be different because it doesn't take the Pilot cartridges and converters.

Edited by WirsPlm

Would it be possible to remove that pseudo-gold plating from the 78G nib? I would like to have a B Pilot nib in a White Tiger Metropolitan (whenever it hits the market) but the nib color wouldn't match the rest of the pen.

One word of warning about the MR vs Metropolitan - it looks and acts like the Metropolitan, but the different versions of the MR/Metropolitan (EU, Asian and US) are slightly different. I hear that the EU MR takes international cartridges and the Asian MR has a Fine nib instead of medium. I would expect that the Asian version can be swapped out just like the US version, but the EU version might be different because it doesn't take the Pilot cartridges and converters.

The Asian "MR" comes both in <F> and <M>. And the euro version has the same nib, only the section + feed are different due to the other cartridge system.

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/16/k6ic.png

The 78G, Metropolitan (US Version), Plumix, Prera (Demo and Regular), Penmanship, Pluminix (European, I think) all swap feeds and nibs. Some can swap whole sections, although I don't know which. I've used the EF Plumix in a Prera and the M Prera in a Plumix.

As far as removing the faux gold plating goes... You might try buffing it off while taking care not to affect the tip of the nib. Or you might try sandblasting it gently with an extremely fine grit. I've got a 78G that I never use. I might see if my local gun shop wouldn't mind sandblasting the nib in his unit that he uses to blast guns before he cerakotes them. Wouldn't be a total loss if it didn't work out.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

Would it be possible to remove that pseudo-gold plating from the 78G nib? I would like to have a B Pilot nib in a White Tiger Metropolitan (whenever it hits the market) but the nib color wouldn't match the rest of the pen.

You could grind/buff the gold off, but it will take a lot of work to look half-decent - be prepared for a very raw look.

I've buffed the gold plating off a couple nibs, but I've yet to be completely satisfied with the results. I should probably try polishing them afterwards.

Thank you both for your answers!! :)

I'll look around the net for a more secure solution (say chemical etching or so) and report back for future reference.

heymatthew I really appreciate your offer! But it's ok, don't go ruin your pen for no reason.
Perhaps the stub Plumix will do the trick...

Also, although it's a much older pen, the Pilot Knight is set up for a swap with any of the 78G, Plumix, Prera, penmanship, etc.

I don't know about the "gold to silver" transition and you might want to use a very fine 12,000 grit abrasive paper. It's fine enough to only take off a small amount of metal at a time. Why not get a Pilot Penanship with its extra fine nib and swap that. It's already a silver color so no changes are necessary.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”