Rotring 600 Twist Open Pen Repair

Rotringfan

Hello,

I've got this Rotring 600 pen that is a twist open instead of a click pen.

10 years ago it got washed or the roller ball leaked inside the pen.

Anyhow it now has dried ink inside the pen that is more like a film than globes of ink.

I was sondering what needs to be done to repair this pen.

attached is a picture of the without a refill in it and one with a refill installed.

The problem is that then pen does not retract back inside.

As you can see from the photos when no refill is installed the gold tip is not exposed.

The gold sleeve is spring loaded.

I am hoping that someone on this forum knows a bit about this style of pen and how I can get it back to working order.

post-105872-0-81629500-1375833101_thumb.jpg

post-105872-0-79309000-1375833103_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rotringfan

• JPS_Rotring

• beach pen guy

• burnner521

The construction of the pen is resistant to almost any kind of solvent I can think of. The only parts that shouldn't be treated with acetone or similiar "paint stripping" fluids are the rotring writing and the color indicator, also it won't desolve when exposed, but will get of when rubbed. I would try flushing the inside with lighter fluid and scrubbing it with a q tip. Then ultrasonic bath for 10 minutes at a time.

By the way: What you got there is a Rotring 600 Gold Ballpoint, quite rare and expensive, albeit yours is missing the red ring around the top gold part.

JPS_Rotring Thanks for the reply.

I knew that this was an expensive pen, didn't know how rare it is was until doing some more research on here and some other sites.

It appears that your are the formost authority on Rotring pens on this forum.

Do you know if the red ring around the top was painted on or a plastic piece in the gold?

I had forgotten about this pen until I came across another Rotring 700 fountain pen and its couterpart that is a roller ball.

We used to sell them here at my office. Now all that is left are the pens mentioned above, a 600 click pen that has a refil rusted in it adn 3 bottles of black rotring ink.

I will poste an update on the repair of this Rotring 600 Gold Ballpoint

Its a red square profile rubber band that normally resides in there. You could replace it with one of a recently produced Rotring 600 mechanical pencil. Just hold the red ring in warm water for 2 minutes, pull it off and put it on the gold one.

• 2 months later...

JPS_Rotring,

I've used some lighter fluid on the inside, don't have a sonic system I can put it in.

It did loosen it up, but it doesn't open like it should.

You have to keep twisting it instead of the quarter turn it use to have that would open and close.

I am not sure if I am possibly missing a piece on the inside that would force the pen down or back up with the spring load in the tip.

Any ideas ?

• 1 year later...

Rotringfan ... did you ever get the Rotring 600 Gold twist ballpoint working properly? I have a similar problem with my 600 Gold twist ballpoint. It to became clogged with ink. I ran lots of alcohol through it to loosen it up. It almost started working again after it was somewhat cleaned. But now the twist barely moves the cartridge mechanism on the inside of the barrel. The little gold center piece moves but not the thing that surrounds the cartridge. My guess is needs to be taken apart and service. But it appears there is no one I can find to do it. The people at Newell Rubermid Parker/Waterman Service Center appear very reluctant to work on it since they claim they have no parts and mostly they just replace pens under warranty. I have had this pen for over 20 years. It's part of my Rotring collection. Did you ever find a repair solution.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Beach pen guy life got a little busy soon after this post and I forgot about this pen until recently.

I have the same issue that you have, I think there might be a piece missing.

I was trying to find an inexpensive 600 that is not the gold to buy and take apart and see if I can use some of those parts if that is the case.

I'm really not sure how to take the pen apart with out destroying it, which I certainly don't want to do.

Going to start a new thread on the subject again.

• 1 month later...

I had this same problem. The only solution I found was to buy a rapid pro and literally cut it open on the bottom. Because the pen is so cheap the metal tears apart fairly easily. I was unhappy with the balance of the pen anyways. The plastic two pieces that cause the rotation and thus the clicking up and down movement will work in the old style 600 ball point. This fixed mine. Now if only I can find a way to replace my plastic red ring. :lticaptd: