What Are Some Nice Wood-Barreled Fountain Pens?

CharlieTurtle

And roughly how much do they cost? The wooden barrel appeals to me on, for example, a Lamy ABC.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieTurtle

• NewFPU

• Scribble Monboddo

• Vendome

Nakaya or Platinum Briarwood - $350-500

Sailor Yosegi Hakone - $400

Sailor Tagyasan or other precious wood series - $300 or so?

Pilot Custom Maple Wood - $220

Faber Castell has a couple of pens in pearwood and coco - $100-130

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Graf von Faber Castell has many versions of the Classic, Classic Anello and Intuition in wood as well as many of their Pen of the Year models.

Waterman did several Lemans in wood.

Montegrappa issued the Brier & Sterling regular editions.

Caran d'Ache has the Varius Metwood and Snakewood.

Slightly scared of eBay. You hear many horror stories.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Starting to think wooden pens are about... $200 above my price range...

Hi

just my 2 cents. I do not know if you are into Chinese fountain pens but the Jinhao 650 is very appealing to the eyes plus it s a decent writer.

Myste

P.S. Nice price too!

post-96875-0-37430500-1369078592_thumb.jpg

I'm a geek with a fountain pen.

Slightly scared of eBay. You hear many horror stories.

Yeah, but if a transaction goes "(bleep) up" on E-bay, it's easy to put in a claim and get your money back from Paypal.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

Try a Faber-Castell E-Motion; only about 50% more expensive than a basic TWSBI, a nice shape to hold and the nibs are pretty good too.

You could also consider having one made locally. If you are looking for a lower priced pen, there are plenty of kits around for less than $50 and anyone with a lathe can turn out a usable pen. You can still pay good money for very nicely handmade pens as fit and finish come with experience.

I don't know what you have available locally, but if there are any wood stores they will know local pen makers that you can get in touch with and you can probably choose your wood.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Hi

just my 2 cents. I do not know if you are into Chinese fountain pens but the Jinhao 650 is very appealing to the eyes plus it s a decent writer.

Myste

P.S. Nice price too!

I really can't whether that's actual wood, and searches regarding reviews turn up blank.

I don't suppose you own one yourself?

Hi Hoovy

You're right, it could be particle board. I'm not sure. However I can suggest another one that I do own. The DUKE 552 or Bamboo. It has a real bamboo section barrel & it is sold by HISNIBS.com. Also a very easy price($45) & a good writer.

Myste

P.S. I do believe the Jinhao to be real though. They make quality pens.

Edited by NewFPU

I'm a geek with a fountain pen.

Online makes some nice wood-bodied fountain pens. I tried one that was maybe $70. But between their impossible-to-search-on name and remarkably horrendous website, they're hard to find. I saw one at Paradise Pen, but it's not on their website.

There are also 2 wood pens on Jetpens branded as A.G. Spalding for $37. They look really neat and the reviews are very good. (I see someone already suggested these above.

Edited by Elizabeth in NJ

The Pilot Legno 89s is a bit more affordable, when you can find one...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

If you're willing to step away from the major pen companies, you can find some decent hand-turned pens at craft fairs for under $100. I purchased a pen made from cocobolo wood with an iridium nib from a vendor at Pikes Place Market. PM me if you're interested...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/8738047436_59e21dbf78_z.jpg

I'm currently stalking Etsy and Folksy. I see plenty of pens but I'm dubious about them accepting anything other than those piddly little international cartridges.

You could also consider having one made locally. If you are looking for a lower priced pen, there are plenty of kits around for less than $50 and anyone with a lathe can turn out a usable pen. You can still pay good money for very nicely handmade pens as fit and finish come with experience.

I don't know what you have available locally, but if there are any wood stores they will know local pen makers that you can get in touch with and you can probably choose your wood.

Hahahahahaha no. I'm lucky if I can buy ink where I live XD Also me + anything that involves woodwork = certain disaster. But now I kind of want to.

I've been looking at that for awhile and have held off because I thought it was some kind of plastic design.

That's definitely one step closer to my buying one.

You're right, it could be particle board. I'm not sure. However I can suggest another one that I do own. The DUKE 552 or Bamboo. It has a real bamboo section barrel & it is sold by HISNIBS.com. Also a very easy price($45) & a good writer.