Sailor Kobe #37 Island Blue

saskia_madding

Another shout out to cool-japan on ebay who sold me all my Kobe inks. I consider buying a ton of inks and putting up reviews to be a major part of my contribution to FPN, so hopefully some people can be enabled into buying gorgeous inks they otherwise wouldn't buy. :D

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Kobe/DSC09599-1_zps5b3dcf17.jpg

Now THIS is what I'm looking for in a blue - a colour that pops, that has that extra oomph! It looks amazing on Rhodia dotPads and CF paper ...

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Kobe/DSC09602-1_zps86fd90fb.jpg

... and has really interesting shading ...

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Kobe/DSC09607_zps3a7c95cd.jpg

... and even sheen (where the ink pools)!

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Kobe/DSC09600-1_zpse7a10fff.jpg

As with most super highly saturated and wet inks, this one has a long dry time. But that doesn't stop me from loving this ink a lot! :D

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Kobe/DSC09601-1_zps0e5f65d9.jpg

More photos in my Kobe sub-folder here.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• saskia_madding

• XiaoMG

• swanjun

+1 @saskia_madding for posting all of these. :notworthy1:

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Yes, thank you! I have had a dozen of these in my eBay watch list for weeks, too hesitant to pull the trigger. Your reviews have been extremely helpful.

Wow!

Uuntil I read it, I thought 'is something wrong with the pen with the colour changes mid word?' - what an unusual shading effect indeed!

Now, being of a scientific inclination, I am asking - what makes an ink do that? :rolleyes:

Might have to try a bottle now! :P

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Perfection may be transient, but then so is everything.', MC

'All that a great power has to do to destroy itself is persist in trying to do the impossible.', Stephen Vizinczey

You're welcome, guys! As I said, as an inky mod, this seems like part of my job description, but it's one I'm HAPPY to do. I am totally obsessed with ink and trying out different brands and comparing them. :)

I have no idea what it is chemically that makes ink shade, but it's a very important category for my favourite inks to have. Looking at a full page of writing with ink that has no shading puts me to sleep by the third word.

I concur. And that's why an ink that's not even super stunning, like the Shioya Blue, makes my wish list because it *does* shade (and behave) so well.

I hope you're planning to do the rest of the Kobe inks you got! There must be at least ten left in the pipeline. :D

I will do the rest, I promise. It just takes a long time and I'm detouring to do the Bung Box inks next. But there are 10 left for me to do, I believe. I bought 18 inks, but one was a repeat colour. 7 down, so 10 left to go. And one is a green that is the closest I've seen to MBRG so far. :P

• 1 month later...

I just got this ink in the mail- and in my preliminary test with a broad italic, it bears a remarkable resemblance in color, saturation and general feel to my old bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire. Anyone else notice this?

OOH, this one is really pretty. Which color was this? -- oops I see #37. I think this one shall my inky acquisition. I use blue when I fill out banking applications for clients. I love when I can get a good shader and mess up the bank copy machines. jk Inks dry really fast in the Nevada desert.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

BTW, have you compared this to the Lapis color?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Reminds me a bit of PR DC Electric Blue from my fine nibs. Drying time too. In bad light PRDCEB looks boring but in good light the shading pops out. I might try this sometime if I can find it more conveniently.

Robert.

BTW, have you compared this to the Lapis color?

I just ordered both. I may post impressions or a comparison when I get them.

Robert.

Ooh, I'm excited. I just received an email and he's sold out of #37 right now.

My first impression of the ink is a little lukewarm. Perhaps it's due to my use of finer nibs...it doesn't shade terribly much and seems a bit washed out in most light. When laid down very wet it seems pretty saturated, but I cannot get much out of the ink so far in Tomoe River, Rhodia, or IPaper.

Maya Lapis is a little less saturated in the lighter parts and a lot more purplish. I don't keep many blues in this range so I don't have much to compare to.

Edited by XiaoMG

Robert.

Oh .. thank you for the update. I like super saturated obnoxiously bright colors. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

very nice ink, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

I love this blue! Thank you for posting! This blue is a want/must have for me!

I had only heard about this line from someone at the DC pen show. Is it difficult to clean?

• 1 month later...

But... but... images...

This review was much more useful before, I suspect. :(

Given that, could someone perhaps compare, in words, this ink to, say, Jentle Ultramarine?

Edited by Masque