Custom Pelikan 100N

chris burton

The bindes are nothing new, but these two pens are the first ones that I've done the cap tubes for. The top of the cap is 36 tpi single lead threads, but the cap/barrel threads are 36 tpi four lead threads. I'm finally to the point where I'm proficient at multi-lead threads on my lathe.

The black and silver pen is my own (and was the first one that I did). The blue lizard is a client's pen.

post-24-0-94463700-1367817639_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-90476100-1367817641_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-71096200-1367817660_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-60177700-1367817662_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-83111200-1367817663_thumb.jpg

Chris

Custom Bindes

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chris burton

• 3rdlakerobert

• Jopen

• twissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful pens Chris. I have many questions:

What parts did you make?

I looked in English and German dictionaries for "bindes" with no success. Meaning?

Aren't you using a purchased tap and die set?

Are the clips Pel or something else?

How did you make the band on the blind caps that looks like knurling?

Hard to see the section clearly in your first photo. Is it the same as the section on the snakeskin?

What parts did you make?

I looked in English and German dictionaries for "bindes" with no success. Meaning?

Hard to see the section clearly in your first photo. Is it the same as the section on the snakeskin?

Hi Robert,

I made the binde (pronounced 'bin-duh'), which is the sleeve that fits over the barrel, and I made the cap tube. In the photos below I've put the old binde and cap tube next to the new ones that I made.

Binde is a German word that classically has been associated, as far as I know, with Pelikans. In this case it is the word given to the colored sleeve that fits over the barrel. The walls on these are pretty thin. 0.012" is about average in my experience.

No, I don't have any multi-lead taps or dies. All of the threading that I do is done on my lathe (SouthBend 9A). It makes it easy to match a new part to an old pen's threads. Well, now that I know how to do it, it's easy. :-)

The clip, 'finial', and piston knob/mechanism, and also the barrel, are all vintage Pelikan parts. The cap tube that you see in the photos (black with two bands) has cracks in a few places and the request was to make a new cap tube to match the new binde. The only parts that I worked on were the binde and the cap tube. Everything else is as Pelikan manufactured it, which for this pen, was probably back in the late 1940's.

post-24-0-21520700-1367861559_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-84153800-1367861566_thumb.jpg

Chris

Custom Bindes

These are quite beautiful, Chris, thank you for sharing. I hope to have a Pelikan 100, 101, or 400 with one of your custom bindes one day!

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Restoring vintage pen with vintage machine! How wounderful!

I can't believe I'm making fountain pens! pen.18111.com

What parts did you make?

Hi Robert,

I made the binde (pronounced 'bin-duh'), which is the sleeve that fits over the barrel, and I made the cap tube. In the photos below I've put the old binde and cap tube next to the new ones that I made.

Binde is a German word that classically has been associated, as far as I know, with Pelikans. In this case it is the word given to the colored sleeve that fits over the barrel. The walls on these are pretty thin. 0.012" is about average in my experience.

No, I don't have any multi-lead taps or dies. All of the threading that I do is done on my lathe (SouthBend 9A). It makes it easy to match a new part to an old pen's threads. Well, now that I know how to do it, it's easy. :-)

The clip, 'finial', and piston knob/mechanism, and also the barrel, are all vintage Pelikan parts. The cap tube that you see in the photos (black with two bands) has cracks in a few places and the request was to make a new cap tube to match the new binde. The only parts that I worked on were the binde and the cap tube. Everything else is as Pelikan manufactured it, which for this pen, was probably back in the late 1940's.

Wow! I never knew the barrel had a sleeve. What a fascinating way to make the barrel. Those sleeves are very thin. Are you drilling out a blank to make the sleeve? That's very accurate centering.

Wow! I never knew the barrel had a sleeve. What a fascinating way to make the barrel. Those sleeves are very thin. Are you drilling out a blank to make the sleeve? That's very accurate centering.

Yes, they're thin. I use collets to make these, which works very well. I turn the outside down first and then drill and bore. Most modern acrylics aren't any good for the bindes on these vintage Pelikans as when you turn them that thinly, they lose a lot of their depth of color and become transparent (not usually in a good way). I like vintage celluloid and hard rubber for these.

The collets are nice. When I first started making these, for myself and a friend, back in 2005, the first three that I made were made using an 18v cordless drill, some drill bits, and a couple of hand files. As you might imagine, getting the centering right was quite a task. :-)

Chris

Custom Bindes

Yes, they're thin. I use collets to make these, which works very well. I turn the outside down first and then drill and bore. Most modern acrylics aren't any good for the bindes on these vintage Pelikans as when you turn them that thinly, they lose a lot of their depth of color and become transparent (not usually in a good way). I like vintage celluloid and hard rubber for these.

The collets are nice. When I first started making these, for myself and a friend, back in 2005, the first three that I made were made using an 18v cordless drill, some drill bits, and a couple of hand files. As you might imagine, getting the centering right was quite a task. :-)

"When I first started making these, for myself and a friend, back in 2005, the first three that I made were made using an 18v cordless drill, some drill bits, and a couple of hand files. As you might imagine, getting the centering right was quite a task. :-)"

LOL! I have a picture of you in my imagination sitting out under a tree somewhere with your files and the bind, maybe a beer, and some music.

Edited by Robert111

"When I first started making these, for myself and a friend, back in 2005, the first three that I made were made using an 18v cordless drill, some drill bits, and a couple of hand files. As you might imagine, getting the centering right was quite a task. :-)"

LOL! I have a picture of you in my imagination sitting out under a tree somewhere with your files and the bind, maybe a beer, and some music.

That's not far off. We were living in a condo at the time. I sat out on the 'patio' on a tree stump that my wife had as decoration.

Chris

Custom Bindes

outstanding job :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time