Montblanc 146 Ink Leaking

audio_engr

Hello

I have just joined this awesome Forum and am happy to be here. I am sure senior members will advise & help me to solve my present pen problem.

I have a Montblanc 146 purchased around 1991. The pen functions brilliantly and flawlessly EXCEPT every time I unscrew the cap, I observe ink on the upper section of the barrel around the portion where one normally holds the pen to write, i.e. around the cap threading area of the barrel to the point where the Feeder case screws into the barrel.

I did unscrew the feeder case with the nib and washed it, then inspected it well but couldn't see anything wrong with it. Hence, I inserted it back to position.

I would appreciate very much to learn HOW I may FIX this problem that I am facing ...

Thanks in adv !!

post-103526-0-44191800-1366802010.jpg

post-103526-0-53152500-1366802034.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• audio_engr

• hari317

• adyf

• SteveE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am by no means a Montblanc expert, so please take my input as "suggestion" rather than "direction." I think you may have two issues at play here.

1. The leak near the barrel threads seems to be a common problem with the 146. There is a joint at that location, and some pens seem to lose the seal at the joint. I am not able to advise you as to how to perform this repair - my 146 will have to be sent out soon, too.

2. The nib unit, I believe, is sealed into the section with some sort of soft sealer. By removing the nib unit you may have lost the sealant, allowing the leak.

Both of these are easily solvable, but most often by either a Montblanc Boutique or a professional pen repair person. I believe that MB has a flat-fee repair service for the pens and would fix both issues for a reasonable charge. There are also many highly qualified repair persons who frequent this board.

Good luck. The 146 (and 149) are great writers, but they may eventually need some repair - just like any other fine machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear ALL :

In my 1st post above, I mentioned that my MB 146 has leaks & I was looking at ways to fix it.

"hari317" gave me links to his earlier post on FPN with awesome photography of the MB 146 which prompted me (being in India) to contact him.

He was indeed very kind & gracious to accept my pen to take a look at the problem. I must report that Hari was God-sent for me !! He got to the bottom of the problem, fixed all issues & now - I have my pen back with me, writing even better than it ever did.

Hari's huge in-depth knowledge, sublime personality & his graciousness is deeply appreciated and thru FPN, I have indeed a great friend & a pen connoisseur under whom I can safely rely on henceforth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer : Hari does NOT take up work on a professional basis.It is purely his great passion. Hence, this is not a "repair center".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hari's kindness will always be remembered by me for giving my MB 146 a "new" life once again after almost 2 decades.

Thank you dear Hari and FPN for such wonderful people on board here. I'm proud to be a member here knowing the wonderful community that's in existence.

Have a good day !

Arup Goswami
aka "audio_engr"

:thumbup:

Hari's posts are always educational and advice freely given. You are indeed fortunate to have encountered Hari so soon after joining fpn.

I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

Regards

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

I am happy to report that I have been using the MB 146 now for almost close to a week & its writing brilliantly. In fact, better than it ever did I must say ... And all leaking issues are gone !! wow! hari you are marvelous

I am now looking to get hold of some Aurora Black and was wondering how the Aurora Blue would be ? I enjoy a bright, bold strong blue w/o the faded watery look that's common with most Royal blues out there. Any suggestions ?.

@ Rowbo

Indeed ! I was lucky. I did use the word "God-sent" in my earlier post. Hari did a super, super job.

Thank you Arup for your kind words. :)

Out of interest Hari, did the section just need re-sealing?

The case feeder needed to be resealed, It was loose and there was no sealant there. The case feeder itself is a bit aged and has shrunk a bit so it will no longer make an nice elastic seal with the gripping section lip. I have already informed the OP in my repair report that the pen might eventually start releaking down the line and have also suggested a future course of action to him. A good long term solution would be renewal of the parts and seals. MB's service strategy of NOT reusing the plastic parts is perfect esp. since the parts do age and take a set, they have the parts, we don't, so we have to judicuously re-use as long as feasible.

The other issues with the pen were a totally blocked feeder and a leaky and sticky piston seal.

HTH.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The case feeder needed to be resealed, It was loose and there was no sealant there. The case feeder itself is a bit aged and has shrunk a bit so it will no longer make an nice elastic seal with the gripping section lip. I have already informed the OP in my repair report that the pen might eventually start releaking down the line and have also suggested a future course of action to him. A good long term solution would be renewal of the parts and seals. MB's service strategy of NOT reusing the plastic parts is perfect esp. since the parts do age and take a set, they have the parts, we don't, so we have to judicuously re-use as long as feasible.

The other issues with the pen were a totally blocked feeder and a leaky and sticky piston seal.

HTH.

Sounds like you've done a great job.

A super job .. Voila !!!

All due to Hari, I am once again able to use the pen on a daily basis w/o thinking twice about wrecking my shirt pockets.