Big Red Ballpoint Pen

jjtone

I have a Big Red ballpoint pen with an original refill which is blue medium.

It's amazing the refill writes smoother and richer than new Caren d'Ache Goliath even though it's over 40 years old.

It's very fun to write on the LANG planner with some pressure, and the rustic paintings of Mary Singleton.

Can someone tell the history or truth of this kind of Big Red ballpoint pens?

post-48967-0-70003900-1365944496.jpg

Edited by jjtone

Happy penmanship~♡

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Estott

• J English Smith

• Hooker56

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

This is the best web site for info on Parker pens, run by Tony Fischier, from Sweden, who is a top bloke. He's on these boards somewhere, but I can't remember his ID.

Here's the link for the Big Red Retro fibre / ballpoint pen section, but the whole site is worth looking over.

http://www.parkerpens.net/bigred.html

I did have a NOS 1977 Big Red in Union Flag colours which celebrated the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. However, I sent the pen onto Tony as he didn't have any Big Reds at the time.

I did mention on another posting that I have an Ad Pen by Parker. It's a black Big Red model, with the ballpoint adapters and was made in Brasil. I have e-mailed Parker for more info on this model, but still waiting for a reply for now.

Jason

Long reign the House of Belmont.

I think it's fair to say that the Big Red series was marketed as more of a "fun" pen with a lot of nostalgia tied to it. That's not to say they weren't nicely made pens, as they were.

The only Big Red's I've ever come across were either ballpoints or used Parker's Systemark refills (a predecessor to the current Rollerball). I don't think there was a fountain pen version of the Big Red.

I've always thought of the Big Red as Parker's version of Sheaffer's NoNonsense pen, although I would venture that Sheaffer's was the more popular/long-lived of the two (I'm not sure which one was introduced to the market first). Also, as the NoNonsense was heavily marketed as a fountain pen as well as the writing instrument in Sheaffer's calligraphy sets (Parker used a Vector in their calligraphy lines), it probably had a broader appeal that helped its longevity.

Hope this helps.

The original ones Parker issued in '69 or '70 and cost about $5. They were in a fat, oversize cardboard tube with the "Big Red Writes Again" headline. These early models had the plated trim ring and nicer plastics. This was the pen that got me interested in collecting (age 11). Still have two of 'em, though not my original ones. Occasionally you still see the pen/tubes come up on eBay. My memory is that Parker came first and the No Nonsense pens a year later, but that could be faulty memory (43 years under the dam). Parker has always had good refills and they do last a long time if kept away from hot temperatures...

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Yeah. come to think of it, I have two of the cheaper CDA pens and their refills have always been a bit on the thin/light ink side, despite their cost. I think that's why I don't pull those out very often.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

They also made these is different colors and a shorter ring top BP in 'red' as well.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

• 1 month later...

I own several Big Red Pens, both ballpoints and roller balls. The refills are amazing, mine too after more than 40 years, a strong blue.

a well made pen.

jimmartin

I have received a reply from Parker asking about any info about my Ad Pen by Parker, but unfortunately they had no records in their archives.

Long reign the House of Belmont.

My red and orange pens disappeared over the years, but I still have yellow and light blue Big Reds that I use. They didn't make fountain pen versions, but some jokesters posted about using a Cross Solo section in the Big Red (it will fit, but the converter will not, too long), thus ruining two good pens to get one Frankenpen. I have always liked the Big Red roller/ballpoints, because their size means comfortable writing.

The website, parkercollector.com has enough interesting information to make you want to spend hours reading.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 year later...

The earlier Big Red Ballpoints had gold colored trim and a black barrel tip to mimic the filler cap. As time went on the gold trim gave way to chrome, the black tip went away, and the chinese red was phased out for a more ordinary red in a smoother finish. I think the later pens were slightly slimmer as well.

The good earlier ones with the gold trim can get pretty decent prices on Ebay (for a 1970's ballpoint) but I think many of the buyers are like me, trying to get back a piece of their youth.

Pajaro I thought I remembered YOU making a Big Red Frankenfoutain Pen?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/254975-big-red-recycled/

My old memory fades, but IIRC, I was in High School when Big Reds were introduced and marketed hard. They were aimed at a younger, hipper market... Bigger, Bolder, and I remember them going very well with Bell Bottom jeans and Marx artwork. Pentel disposable felt tip markers were all the rage and Parker introduced the Big Red marker as a more permanent upscale school marker. You could carry a 'set' of Big Reds (rollerball and fineliner in your jeans pocket and they wouldn't go un-noticed.

IIRC, No Nonsense was Sheaffer's competing entry after Big Red was introduced...but the No Nonsense came in much cooler designs and colors.

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

Did Parker sell a "Junior" short version of the Big Red ballpoint? I got one along with a standard pen from a dealer and it looks quite plausible...but it might also be the barrel of the woman's ringtop screwed into a standard cap.

Parker makes ballpoint pens ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Pajaro I thought I remembered YOU making a Big Red Frankenfoutain Pen?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/254975-big-red-recycled/

My old memory fades, but IIRC, I was in High School when Big Reds were introduced and marketed hard. They were aimed at a younger, hipper market... Bigger, Bolder, and I remember them going very well with Bell Bottom jeans and Marx artwork. Pentel disposable felt tip markers were all the rage and Parker introduced the Big Red marker as a more permanent upscale school marker. You could carry a 'set' of Big Reds (rollerball and fineliner in your jeans pocket and they wouldn't go un-noticed.

IIRC, No Nonsense was Sheaffer's competing entry after Big Red was introduced...but the No Nonsense came in much cooler designs and colors.

I took the jokester course with the usual suspects and surmounted the challenges to make this comical travesty of a fountain pen. It worked, but the Solo section went back to its former home, albeit taking the Sonnet 18K medium nib with it. It can, of course, always make a triumphant return to the Big Red arena. I think I'll put the Solo nib in a Waterman next. Force reports nib corrosion on the Phileas nibs. It cries out for a solution.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Parker also had what seems to be a rather low production model in Silver Filigree. The silver is 100% rather than the more common .925 sterling.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pratherpens/Parker-Filigree.jpg

The box and the paperwork reflect how much Parker wanted to recapture the original era...

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pratherpens/Parker-Filigree-2.jpg

Even a self addressed stamped envelope for product registration. A favorite person of Parker shown on the stamp...

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pratherpens/Parker-Filigree-1.jpg

ralph prather

You do like metal stuff. :notworthy1:

Ralph it's beautiful. Are you thinking of making modern (1975) modern (2014) reproductions?

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

• 1 year later...

My red and orange pens disappeared over the years, but I still have yellow and light blue Big Reds that I use. They didn't make fountain pen versions, but some jokesters posted about using a Cross Solo section in the Big Red (it will fit, but the converter will not, too long), thus ruining two good pens to get one Frankenpen. I have always liked the Big Red roller/ballpoints, because their size means comfortable writing.

The website, parkercollector.com has enough interesting information to make you want to spend hours reading.

Current update

I put a Cross Solo section into a Big Red. It screws in like it was made for it.

The green converter fits without problem, and the cap does not hit the nib.

But the gold Cross nib looks better/matches with the gold trim pen, than the chrome trim pen.

All in all a sucessful Frankenpen.

Although I don't think I will convert all my Big Reds, just one.

I can move the FP innards between pens if I want to use a different Big Red.

BTW, this is the thread that gave me the idea to convert the BP to a FP

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/47366-converting-big-red-bp-to-a-fp/

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com