Sheaffer 100 Or Pilot Metropolitan?

PolarMoonman

I am looking for a new fountain pen and since I did not get a single response from my post in Sheaffer forum :hmm1: :angry: I decided to try here..... I am trying to decide between a Sheaffer 100 or a Pilot Metropolitan which one should I get? I like them both a lot, and would be happy with either.... What are some difference between them both besides brands.... Like nib quality, ink quality, wetness, and longevity.....

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PolarMoonman

• WOBentley

• lovemy51

• linuxid10t

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them both a lot, and would be happy with either....

Get 'em both. (You know you want 'em... :drool: )

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,

And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

I recently received a Pilot Metropolitan in the zig zag gold. It writes like a dream. The ink supply seems quite good as I have been writing on the last filling for a few days. My earlier experience with the cheaper Sheaffers would suggest that the Sheaffer nib on such pens have a little "tooth." However, it may be because I am a left-handed underwriter. I would go with the Pilot, personally. It looks much more expensive than what it actually costs.

Best wishes on your decision.

Jerry

Have you used both? The Sheaffer medium is much wider than the the Pilot's medium. Both are very nice pens, both come with a converter, however the Pilot costs far less. You can put a bold Plumix nib on the Metropolitan if you like - not sure you can put another Sheaffer nib on the 100. Some people feel the section on the 100 is slippery (not a problem for me, but might be a deal breaker for you). Good luck!

I have both pens and enjoy them almost equally, though I use my metropolitans with nibs from the Penmanship and Plumix.

With the stock medium nib in the Metropolitan and a fine Sheaffer I'd say they are pretty close to the same size, with the Sheaffer being a touch wetter and smoother. Both nibs are great but a bit large for my personal preference, which is why I swapped out the nibs on my Metropolitans.

Personally I prefer the looks of the Metropolitan but that's obviously something that will be up to your personal preference. The Pilot has a decent weight, its not like holding a Bic but its still pretty lightweight. The Sheaffer is more hefty but still comfortable. Both post just fine.

Overall, I ever so slightly prefer the Sheaffer with the stock nibs. But I prefer the Pilot because of the swappable nibs.

Edited by K. Cakes

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

I have them both and while I probably like the Sheaffer a touch better, you just can't beat that $15 Pilot Metropolitan. The value proposition on that pen is just ridiculous. The Pilot Medium is a touch wetter than the Sheaffer Fine and maybe just a little smoother. I really like the feedback and the quality line I get out of the Sheaffer (plus I like the look and balance better on the Sheaffer). Both great pens!

I would have to go with LINK

I LOVE that...just added it to "My Favorites" I will be sharing widely!

For the OP, I have a Metropolitan. It is very nioe for price (actually quite astounding for price) and is in my opinion is an excellent choice and the one I would make.

I do own a Sheaffer 100 (one of the Ferrari models, I'm a car guy...what can I say) but the nib was tumed by a nibmeister so I don't think it is a fair comparison. I never wrote with it in its native form.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

The Pilot has a smooth, plastic grip. The grip is black colored on all of the pens -- this might influence the color of barrel that you choose.

does the pilot have a rubber or plastic grip?

The Pilot is a plastic section (grip). My Sheaffer Ferrari model has a metal section. The Pilot is lighter in weight, but to my estimation the weight difference is not great. Sheaffer's have western sized nibs vs Pilot which has nibs more to Japanese specs. In essence if you like a Western fine then you might want a Pilot with a Medium nib to get close to the same line size.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the necro, but I have both the Metropolitan and the Sheaffer 100. Quite frankly, the Sheaffer 100 completely outclasses the Metro in just about everything. Superior fit and finish, superior nib, superior converter. That being said, it is also twice the price, so I'd kind of expect all of this. Yes, depending on how you hold the pen, the section can be a bit slick, but PERSONALLY I haven't run into that problem.

i don't have the Metro from Pilot, but i don't really like the S100. i totally dislike the slippery section. every other Pilot i own writes great -better than any of my modern Sheaffer's, with the exception of the Valor.

edited to add: the price of the S100 is way too high!

Edited by lovemy51

I have both pens and were very good in giving me problems. My first black with chrome sheaffer refused to write! Washing, soaking....still ... now its in my cupboard. Later I bought a matt blue sheaffer 100 with chrome apparels- its a beautiful writer- but that chrome section(?).

Now about Pilot metro. The first one was golden one. It wrote very beautifully till cracked on section. I bought the second one in silver colour. It leaked where convertor fits the section. But with the other metros convertor no problem.

So i bought 4 pens and got 2 pens.

I feel sheaffer nib a tad smoother but pilot have a more comfortable grip.

And I am more happy with 78g than both these pens- cheaper also!

If it's value for money you're after I would take the Pilot. Not sure about your country but here the Pilot is priced at about an eighth of the price of a Sheaffer 100 Ferrari.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer