Visconti Divina

hasan zein

Introduction:

This is a review of a truly awesome fountain pen by Visconti and it goes by the name Divina. The subject of this review is the regular size model, there is a similar bigger Maxi model, in black with silver stripes and 14k mono color gold nib. Further to being very fortunate to have acquired this cool pen two months ago; I am pleased to share with you my experience and modest impressions via this reputable forum.

post-80431-0-22244200-1353104981.jpg

The Review:

a.)Design and looks:

As you may have guessed it already I am enthralled with the unique and truly innovative design of the Divina. This pen even comes with its unique design philosophy of divine proportion, golden ratio, golden spiral, and all that good stuff; however it is it’s striking looks, the refined material it is composed of, and the quality of its craftsmanship that are really captivating. The extra glossy black Lucite body with its sterling silver stripes screams of luxury and status. It is a showoff pen with flashy looks; however all this is done in great dignity and class.

post-80431-0-03226100-1353105204.jpg

For me, the most significant attribute of the Divina design is its exclusivity. It is designed not to resemble any other pen out there. This originality and creative design approach is what sets Visconti apart and make it so successful despite its relatively short existence.

From personal experience pictures do not do the Divina any justice and you should see, touch, and play with this pen to fully appreciate its beauty. I was happily surprised when I first received this pen, ordered from a supplier in Canada, even though I have seen numerous pictures of it which did not interest me that much.

Notwithstanding the above; the design of the Divina is polarizing and you either love it or absolutely hate it.

As extra pluses this pen comes equipped with some of the Visconti patented goodies such as the Hook safe Lock System for securing the cap onto the barrel and the My Pen System that enables you to exchange the Visconti logo at the top of the cap with your initials, horoscope, etc which will add a personal touch to your Divina should you chose to do so. I could go on and on pointing out the nice attributes of the Divina; however and so as not to bore you into quitting reading the rest of the review I will end this part with some of the down sides of this pen’s design:

a.1) The nib size is on the small side and is, in my opinion, disproportional to the overall size of the pen.

a.2) Likewise the grip section in tiny and makes grabbing the pen quite tricky.

a.3) I would also expect a pen with the Divina’s hefty price tag to be equipped with a piston filler system. Regrettably; both Divinas, regular and Maxi, are equipped with a built-in converter that is operated via a knob pulled out of the pen barrel.

It is worth mentioning that the first two drawbacks are none existent in the Maxi iteration of the Divina due to its significantly larger nib and larger overall size which is identical to the Desert Springs Divina shown in the pictures. However; regrettably the Maxi is not fitted with the superior ink filling system and very useful ink window of the Desert Springs.

post-80431-0-31283700-1353105219.jpg

b.) Built Quality:

The Divina’s built quality matches its exclusive looks. It has considerable heft and the pen body is made of first class material that seems to be very durable. Fit and finish is top notch as you come to expect from Visconti.

C.) Ink Filling System:

As mentioned earlier the Divina has a built-in converter. The integration of the converter within the pen’s barrel makes sense as it negates the need for unscrewing the grip section off the barrel to access and operate the convertor. This enables the grip section and barrel to be made as one piece which makes the pen feel more solid and mitigate the grip section becoming loose while writing which is always annoying. On the down side the inability to dismantle the pen and converter to pressure flush the nib makes cleaning the Divina a more tedious affair. Also without an ink window there is no way of checking the ink level in this Divina. The ink capacity of the Divina is closer to pens equipped with regular convertor then those equipped with the more capacious built-in reservoir and piston filler. However The Maxi may hold more ink than the regular size Divina although I am not able to verify this assumption.

D.) Writing Experience:

Here is where I have mixed emotions about this pen. On one side the nib is very smooth with good feedback and steady ink flow. On the other side the nib is small and stiff especially when compared to the large and soft 23k palladium nib of the desert springs, as well as, similarly large gold nibs of my Wall Street, Van Gogh, and Opera Elements Viscontis. The tiny nib coupled with a small grip section make lengthy writing a tiresome ordeal; for me at least. This is very subjective especially that I am used to oversized pens and your writing experience might be totally different depending on the size of your hands, the way and height at which you grab your pen, and your writing style. The Maxi model may have been a better choice for me; although it is difficult to write with it when posted which I prefer and able to do so with the regular size Divina. Fortunately the Divina exists in the two sizes aforementioned which make up for two very different writing experiences thus you are able to choose what is best for you. For that; I highly advise you not to replica my mistake and to try both versions of the Divina before you buy one for yourself.

post-80431-0-50812600-1353106303.jpg

Conclusion:

The Divina is another successful model by Visconti the rising star in the world of fountain pens. However; for those of you who are not yet fountain pen fanatics or driven purely by passion there are more sensible choices such as the reputable Pelikan Souveran M800 which comes with a superior nib and piston ink filling system. The Pelikan is also cheaper and more recognizable.

In my opinion it is for those who are fortunate to own an M800, a Montblanc Meisterstuck , or a Parker Duofold which are better rounded luxury fountain pens and still have money to spend on a pen with an Italian twist then and only then the Divina makes perfect sense. Alternatively; you may follow your heart and pitch for a Divina as your first choice. I guess this is what Visconti was betting on when the Divina was conceived.

post-80431-0-18095800-1353105134.jpg

One last point; I would encourage all of you to convert to using recyclable paper that is neither chlorine treated nor artificially brightened. This will help in saving our trees, reduce harm to our environment, and make for sustainable writing.

Edited by hasan zein

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• hasan zein

• breaker

• olivier78860

:W2FPN: Have a Black Maxi Divina and have to say the performance more than makes up for the funky filling system. They're amazingly comfortable in the hand.

Thanks for the review! :clap1:

:W2FPN: Have a Black Maxi Divina and have to say the performance more than makes up for the funky filling system. They're amazingly comfortable in the hand.

Thanks for the review! :clap1:

Thank you. I am pleased to be part of this wonderful forum.

I have finally managed to upload the pictures (hope you enjoy it).

Nice review, Enjoy your pen !

By the way, the filling system is intriguing. Converter activated by a button...

Is it possible to unscrew the barrel on this pen, to show us how it works ? If not, can anyone explain in a bit more in depth ?

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

As I have the Visconti Desert Falls, I was intrigued by this review. The Desert Falls looks like the Desert Springs (same celluloid body) but without the ink window and more advanced filling system. Like you, my one complaint is with the filling system. I'd love to have an ink window to know how much ink I have in the pen. It has decent ink capacity and works beautifully, but I never know how much ink I have left. Where the Desert Falls may be superior is in the 23k Dreamtouch nib - same nib as the Desert Springs. It is a beautiful nib, very springy and smooth. It took me some time to get used to, honestly, but now that I have, I am smitten. The divine proportions aspect of the pen really is amazing and very comfortable in the hand. Coupled with the Dreamtouch nib, it is just a joy to write with. I do love the metal spiral on the Divina's body and cap, and have my eye on these now too.

Tamara

Thanks for the review! I can add two items: I happen to own both those exact models, and these are my only two Viscontis. Like you I'm enthralled with the spirals. Sadly they are both in Italy for repair. The Desert Springs' plunger no longer goes completely down, i.e. the interior metal stops on the converter, (which I guess look something like inverted rocket-ship fins,) and which work by inertia, don't expand or contract when I push it down for release or when finished inking. And the black Midi's seal went bad, so when I fill it by twisting, the ink continues out the back of the pen onto my hand! These events were a year apart but I just sent them both out last month.

Aaaand, since I had to send my Springs in anyway, I also asked Visconti to switch out the palladium nib for a firmer 14k or 18k gold nib, which they may or may not do.Their call. I'm not as enamored with the soft touch.

But I love these pens in spite of the issues, and pine for them to be back in my hands! The shape and balance are inimitable IMHO by any of my other brands. A unique writing experience.

Edited by humblescribbler

Great review. This pen has been on my wish list for some time already, but every time another pen has won the battle when in a shop deciding on a next purchase. The review certainly helped bring it a few places up on the list. Don't know when yet, but I'm convinced it will find it's way to my home one day.

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl

I'm confused. What's the difference between a built in converter and a piston?

A captured converter is a way of implementing a piston filler. In a traditionaly piston filler ink is held in and contacts the barrel of the pen. With a captured converter there is a layer of material between the ink and the pen's barrel, this reduces ink volume and in some circumstances may protect against damage to the pen. I suspect that most, if not all, captured converters use units which are larger and presumably more solidly built than a standard converters, like those shown here:

http://www.danfurlano.com/blog/2012/8/6/sb-excalibur.html