Sheaffer Identification.

Raaid

I would like to identify this vintage Sheaffer fountain pen which is burgundy in colour.

It measures 134mm with the cap on and the barrel is about 10mm in diameter.

The clip has the white dot but no lettering.

The nib is steel and marked 'Sheaffer, Made in U.S.A.

The filling system is basically a rubber bulb, which is completely protected by a metal tube, which pulls off to reveal the bulb.

post-94022-0-90785200-1352407709.jpg

post-94022-0-65863600-1352407721.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raaid

• jar

• kirchh

• mrcharlie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The filling system is basically a rubber bulb, which is completely protected by a metal tube, which pulls off to reveal the bulb.

Actually, the pen has a Touchdown filler, which you are partially disassembling. The back end of the barrel("blind cap" or "filler knob") unscrews, a piston is withdrawn, the point is immersed in ink, the piston is depressed, and in a few seconds the ink sac fills. Screw the knob back down and you're done. Of course, the pen may require service to the seals and sac to fill properly.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Almost right but it seems you actually have a Frankenpen.

What you have is likely an Imperial III body and section that uses the Touchdown filler system. At the base of the body you should find a blind cap that unscrews to allow a long inner tube to pull out. The metal cap should stay on the "bulb". The cap is likely not the right one for that pen and was originally on an Imperial IV.

Edited by jar

Thank you Daniel, Harry and jar.

I had no idea that the end of the barrel unscrewed!!

Just as you say, it has a 'Touchdown' piston. Unfortunately, having just tried a few times, the sac does not fill when using the piston, so the seals must be damaged.

Is is difficult to repair oneself? If not, where can one find the spare parts?

Regarding the cap, which you say is not the original one for the body, what does the original cap look like?

Thanks for your input.

Brian.

P.S. I found the following webpage informative too: -

http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferTouchdownGuide.htm

Edited by Raaid

Thank you Daniel, Harry and jar.

I had no idea that the end of the barrel unscrewed!!

Just as you say, it has a 'Touchdown' piston. Unfortunately, having just tried a few times, the sac does not fill when using the piston, so the seals must be damaged.

Is is difficult to repair oneself? If not, where can one find the spare parts?

Regarding the cap, which you say is not the original one for the body, what does the original cap look like?

Thanks for your input.

Brian.

P.S. I found the following webpage informative too: -

http://penhero.com/P...chdownGuide.htm

The pen body you have would not have been a White Dot model. The cap would have been a brushed chrome cap.

The pen body you have would not have been a White Dot model. The cap would have been a brushed chrome cap.

I don't think that a brushed chrome cap would go as well with this burgundy body as the cap now on it.

The wrong cap no doubt devalues the pen, but since I'm not selling it, that hardly matters.

All I have to do is find seals to repair the Touchdown piston.

Thanks.

Brian

All I have to do is find seals to repair the Touchdown piston.

try eBay sellers vintagepens (which I think is the same as vintagepens.com, but I've found the order total including shipping to be less via eBay than directly for small orders; no affiliation other than customer) or chillipea (uk seller; perhaps the order total would be less including shipping for a uk buyer).