Harbor Freight Wooden Tool Chest

OakIris

I would like to get a tool chest that I can use to store my slowly increasing inventory of fountain pen repair/maintenance tools as well as some of my pens. I would LOVE to get one of the Gerstner Tool boxes, but they are way out of my price range. I know you "get what you pay for" but I was wondering if the Harbor Freight wooden tool box is a good alternative. At only $79, or $69 with a coupon, it is certainly less expensive, and, I would imagine, certainly not as well made as the Gerstner tool boxes, but it is much closer to what I can afford. Harbor Freight wood tool chest

Here is the photo of the tool chest from the Harbor Freight site:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11844.jpg

I know that there are some here on FPN that have used one or still use one, but have been unable to locate any recent threads that mention this tool chest. I would like to know your opinions of it. The reviews on other sites that I have read, including those on Harbor Freight's site, seem to range from "this is great" to "this is junk." What say you all?

Holly

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• pen2paper

• stevlight

• tenney

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1347544317[/url]' post='2460028']

I would like to get a tool chest that I can use to store my slowly increasing inventory of fountain pen repair/maintenance tools as well as some of my pens. I would LOVE to get one of the Gerstner Tool boxes, but they are way out of my price range. I know you "get what you pay for" but I was wondering if the Harbor Freight wooden tool box is a good alternative. At only $79, or $69 with a coupon, it is certainly less expensive, and, I would imagine, certainly not as well made as the Gerstner tool boxes, but it is much closer to what I can afford. Harbor Freight wood tool chest

Here is the photo of the tool chest from the Harbor Freight site:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11844.jpg

I know that there are some here on FPN that have used one or still use one, but have been unable to locate any recent threads that mention this tool chest. I would like to know your opinions of it. The reviews on other sites that I have read, including those on Harbor Freight's site, seem to range from "this is great" to "this is junk." What say you all?

Holly

Hi Holly, I have two of these Chest's and use them for my tools for repairing Fountain Pen's.....I think they are a fine alternative to the gestner one's, which are just too much dang money! So far mine have not fallen apart or given me any type of grief. Hope you like your's as much as I like mine......

Holly, I went to one of their stores, and viewed the chest in the store. The fit and finish was not impressive.

Rarely do I respond with a negative response. Perhaps the chest I viewed was shelf worn, or a return? Since others have found this chest to be satisfactory, perhaps you could request one be unboxed in the store for you to examine?

I have found a nicely constructed 20 pen storage box with glass on the top, but this does not allow for your tools or inks.

Thank you for that information, Mike. I don't have one yet but your post is very encouraging. After all, you liked it well enough to get two!

I am going to go to a local Harbor Freight store in hopes that they have one on display so that I can check it out in person.

Holly

We use these chests as well. Since you already posted that you understand the quality is not all that great, there is no need to go into that aspect of these. The front door can be problematic at times as it wants to get out of alignment when sliding it under the bottom drawer. My suggestion is to got to a local store and look them over. Many times the cardboard boxes look like they have been pretty beat up. Ask to take them out of the box before you buy if there is any damage to the outer box. Once you get one then the fun and hard part of organizing it begins. While at the store you should also look over some of the plastic organizers. These have come in very hand for keeping sacs, O rings and point gaskets sorted.

Holly, I went to one of their stores, and viewed the chest in the store. The fit and finish was not impressive.

Rarely do I respond with a negative response. Perhaps the chest I viewed was shelf worn, or a return? Since others have found this chest to be satisfactory, perhaps you could request one be unboxed in the store for you to examine?

I have found a nicely constructed 20 pen storage box with glass on the top, but this does not allow for your tools or inks.

We use these chests as well. Since you already posted that you understand the quality is not all that great, there is no need to go into that aspect of these. The front door can be problematic at times as it wants to get out of alignment when sliding it under the bottom drawer. My suggestion is to got to a local store and look them over. Many times the cardboard boxes look like they have been pretty beat up. Ask to take them out of the box before you buy if there is any damage to the outer box. Once you get one then the fun and hard part of organizing it begins. While at the store you should also look over some of the plastic organizers. These have come in very hand for keeping sacs, O rings and point gaskets sorted.

I need to hear the negatives as well as the positives, though of course I was hoping for all positives since the price is so nice. :P :rolleyes:

As I mentioned in my last post, I am hoping to look at the tool chest in person to see just how cheaply it is made. If the drawers are just stapled together or something of that nature, I will probably look elsewhere. For the price I wasn't expecting dovetailed construction (though that would be nice :P) but I would like something a bit sturdier than staples....

I have a nice cigar box modified by John Hubbard (BamaPen) that I am using for my pen storage right now. I don't have that many pens so it is more than adequate for those pens I don't have in rotation, but of course my "collection" may outgrow the cigar box at some point. I am looking for a better way to store my tools and added pen storage would just be a plus.

Holly

Edited by OakIris

As non-Gerstner chests go, they're not bad. I bought a similar one at BJs years ago, and have lugged it around to pen shows since 2003. It's been dropped and repaired, and many other unkind things done to it, but it's still serviceable. I finally bought a large maple chest from Grizzly because the chest didn't have anywhere enough room for all of the tools that I use today.

For the amateur it's just fine. Grizzly also sells some of a similar size. The reason that I didn't buy one from HF is that it doesn't have a "bible hole" to hold coin envelopes with my pen sacs.

Take a look in Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, Popular Photography.... you'll often find a 20% coupon off of ANYTHING at Harbor Freight in their ad.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have one of these and agree with many of the comments above. Mine has worked fine for me without any problems. Because of the inconsistent fit and finish of the product, I would suggest actually going to their brick-and-mortar store to look at the toolbox before you buy it. I opened three boxes before I found one with good quality wood and finish.

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

As non-Gerstner chests go, they're not bad. I bought a similar one at BJs years ago, and have lugged it around to pen shows since 2003. It's been dropped and repaired, and many other unkind things done to it, but it's still serviceable. I finally bought a large maple chest from Grizzly because the chest didn't have anywhere enough room for all of the tools that I use today.

For the amateur it's just fine. Grizzly also sells some of a similar size. The reason that I didn't buy one from HF is that it doesn't have a "bible hole" to hold coin envelopes with my pen sacs.

Take a look in Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, Popular Photography.... you'll often find a 20% coupon off of ANYTHING at Harbor Freight in their ad.

Good to know your experience, Ron - sounds as if yours has been "used and abused" and is still working just fine. If it is similar in quality to the one offered by Harbor Freight - made by Windsor Design, whatever that company might be (can't find any info about the company itself) - then I think it might be just fine. I won't be toting it around and I am definitely an amateur!

I have seen some nice looking Grizzly toolboxes, such as this one:

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/h/h7720.jpg

This one is about $40 more (not including shipping) than Harbor Freight's, and has fewer drawers. Do you know if Grizzly's tool chests are better built than the one from Harbor Freight/Windsor? If so, I would be willing to pay more for it (it's still no where near as expensive as Gerstner's tool chests are) but have no way to check it out before buying it.

As for the Harbor Freight 20% off coupons, those can be printed out from the web, which is nice.

I have one of these and agree with many of the comments above. Mine has worked fine for me without any problems. Because of the inconsistent fit and finish of the product, I would suggest actually going to their brick-and-mortar store to look at the toolbox before you buy it. I opened three boxes before I found one with good quality wood and finish.

Good to hear from another satisfied owner. I will try to get down there tomorrow or on the weekend to look at it to see what I think; seems as if it is working fine for others, and I won't be that disappointed knowing that it will have a few "quirks" because of the lower quality of its fit and finish.

Holly

Holly, I am with you about the cost of the Gerstner chests. While they are lovely, the price hurts my head! But, and I don't know if this is even something in which you would be interested, I just saw on their site that they have a Gerstner kit priced at $249. I may actually look into this one!

Gerstner Tool Chest Kit

“All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” ― Calvin Coolidge

Holly, I am with you about the cost of the Gerstner chests. While they are lovely, the price hurts my head! But, and I don't know if this is even something in which you would be interested, I just saw on their site that they have a Gerstner kit priced at $249. I may actually look into this one!

Gerstner Tool Chest Kit

That is rather intriguing, Bob, but I wonder if it would be like a lot of the furniture you have to assemble yourself - there always seems to be something that doesn't quite fit, or.... Certainly more affordable than their finished tool chests. If you go for it, I for one would love to hear how it turns out.

I have looked at that one as well. Hoping someone can clue us in to the quality - or lack there of - Grizzly products.

Shipping from Grizzly is surprisingly low, too. (I looked at some of the used tool chests available on eBay - some of the sellers want up to $50 or more for shipping the same size box as the one I posted before - Grizzly's shipping for same is about $16!)

Holly

I coudn't tell you about the tool chest one way or another.

My husband has shopped a couple of times at our local-ish B&M Harbor Freight for tools. Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes it's not. A friend of ours describes it this way "If you buy X tool at Harbor Freight, and it breaks, go buy a different brand somewhere else; if you buy it and never use it, you didn't need it...."

But it meant that you didn't pay a whole lot for something that you didn't need.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Good thread, I was just looking at a similar idea on Amazon from Grizzly, it's just straight drawers but under $50 and two would do just fine for me:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cYUvsFhnL._AA300_.jpg

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

The HF tool boxes are made out of mystery wood. i.e. it's wood, but it's a mystery to me what it is. My Grizzly is maple. The poly finish could be a bit better, but it's well made and cost $175 (picked it up on the way back from DC in Williamsport) It's BIG. Very pleased with the box.

Funny thing about my BJs tool box - I got a lot of comments on it when I first started going to shows. For the $65 that I paid back in 2002, I got my money's worth many times over.

Just a thought. The HF will certainly do, especially if you can get to a store and look at it. Buy the cheaper tool box, or a Grizzly, and then invest most of your money in the tools to go IN the box.

Edited by Ron Z

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The HF tool boxes are made out of mystery wood. i.e. it's wood, but it's a mystery to me what it is. My Grizzly is maple. The poly finish could be a bit better, but it's well made and cost $175 (picked it up on the way back from DC in Williamsport) It's BIG. Very pleased with the box.

Funny thing about my BJs tool box - I got a lot of comments on it when I first started going to shows. For the $65 that I paid back in 2002, I got my money's worth many times over.

Just a thought. The HF will certainly do, especially if you can get to a store and look at it. Buy the cheaper tool box, or a Grizzly, and then invest most of your money in the tools to go IN the box.

I will check out the Harbor Freight tool box and make my decision as to whether I should get that one or the Grizzly. You are of course correct - what is inside the box is more important than the box itself! I just have my heart set on a wood tool box though metal ones can be found cheaper. And by the way, Harbor Freight does indeed identify the mystery wood, why, it's "hardwood." lol :rolleyes:

Holly

I just ordered a Harbor Freight one for $80--$98 with shipping etc. I will let you all know how I like it when it arrives. Wanted a slightly smaller one{maybe from Grizzly} BUT none had the handle on top of the box like the HF one. The few times I carry it--it is big so it will not be far--carrying it with just one hand will be useful.

www.stevelightart.com

I just ordered a Harbor Freight one for $80--$98 with shipping etc. I will let you all know how I like it when it arrives. Wanted a slightly smaller one{maybe from Grizzly} BUT none had the handle on top of the box like the HF one. The few times I carry it--it is big so it will not be far--carrying it with just one hand will be useful.

:thumbup: Let us know your impressions after you receive it.

I rather imagine that I will be buying one too....Despite its shortcomings, most of the people here seem to be happy with theirs.

Holly

Kennedy makes some very nice machinist toolboxes. Not cheap new, but you can find them used pretty reasonable sometimes. You might try craigslist. I use this one for my pen tools, and have another one in the garage for other tools.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/tom1415/Picture062.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/tom1415/Picture064.jpg

Edited by Tommy

Even though I don't have many pen tools, sacs, etc. I have found this thread most interesting. Thank you.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)