Pocket Pens

faustulus

You might also consider a Pilot Prera. They are pocket-sized and others have reported the demonstrator models can be successfully used as an eyedropper. I have several but have not tried one as an eyedropper yet.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• faustulus

• pienaar

• Miles R.

• paolino_paperino

Sheaffer Triumph Tuckaway vac fill?

You know that is one I haven't considered. I have a couple of Triumph nibbed Sheaffers and love them. I will have to give that some thought. I think I would like it better than an eyedropper.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ok I found the ones I was thinking of. Not my photo.

http://www.jebspens.com/fp_custom/pfp/cats-eye/pfp_cats-eye_uncap_lg.jpg

http://www.jebspens.com/fp_custom/pfp.htm

Beautiful pen. I currently use a Jitterbug (I have two) and love it as a pocket pen. But if I hadn't just bought the classic black version from Richard that Jeb's Pen would be on its way now (it may still find its way to me I suspect).

Post Script

I think this is one of the best looking pen bodies I have ever seen. Reminds me of a root beer float. I wish I could get me an Ahab in that color.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

And as much as I love those Jeb pens, I suspect they are out of my budget for this pen (there are no prices on the website and I have learned that if you have to ask you can't afford it).

+ Pi

Those little guys are completely cool.

It's probably for the best I just don't check on the prices. :embarrassed_smile: Ignorance is bliss. Laa Laa LaaLaaLaa...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Bruce:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The 3 pens I purchased from John were $150-$175 each, using Brian Grey, is it Meister Nibs, nibs. The PFP wight be a little less. If you don't ask you won't know, if you missed out on a great pen. My 3 are well worth the price I paid. Again usual disclaimers apply, no affiliation, just a very satisfied client. Jim

I have both a Kaweco (actually I have about four of them) and a Passaporto which is from the FPN LE run and I like them both.I use carts but others report no problems with ED use.I like the Kaweco because I can see the ink level, it is relatively inexpensive so no worry about loss, and the nib selection is pretty good.

I recommend starting with the Kaweco and if you really like a pocket pen, move on up to one of the others.

+1

I was looking for a pocket pen with a clip to use at work. I decided to order a clear Kaweco Sport with a fine nib. I've been using it for a week. I really enjoy using it and seeing the ink level. Haven't been bold enough to use it as an eyedropper yet. Refilling the ink cartridge hasn't been bad. I will try using a mini converter soon.

Another vote for KaWeCo Sport. If you can find a vintage one even better - scout eBay or try Rick Propas.

Here is what's in my bank of pocket pens - Sport, Matador and Discus; all German.

http://imgur.com/pYYSL.jpg

Very nice indeed. I really like those.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

I am very happy with my Pilot Elite.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

Another vote for KaWeCo Sport. If you can find a vintage one even better - scout eBay or try Rick Propas.

Here is what's in my bank of pocket pens - Sport, Matador and Discus; all German.

http://imgur.com/pYYSL.jpg

The metal overlay ones are nice. What's their make and model?

The metal overlay ones are nice. What's their make and model?

Yes indeed - Those are by an obscure pen maker Discus based in Bonn, Germany. No particular model but they made safety, button and piston fillers. The metal overlay is Aluminum. I think they mostly made advertising pens.

You can get the Kawco fountain and roolerball together with a nifty carrying case for <$70 from Jetpens. Thery both use the same ink source which is nice for traveling.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

The Lanbitou/Jinhao pocket pen should at least be mentioned as an option (available on eBay for around $5.00).

Edited to add: These are so cheap that you should consider buying one or two in addition to whatever more-expensive pen you get. They are only 9.5 cm (3 3/4 in.) long capped but 12.5 cm (almost 5 inches) long posted. Not something that you would use for writing a letter, but very handy for short notes. They have an aerometric convertor.

fpn_1343567545__lanbitou_pocket.jpg

fpn_1343567589__jinhao_pocket_pen.jpg

Edited by Miles R.

I have two of the 3 that you have mentioned in your original post....The Kaweco sport and the Passaporto. But my Passaporto is the FPN LE version which I just love! I carry it everywhere in my Right front jeans pocket for the last year of so and nothing has happened to it. I use it as an Eyedropper. My Kaweco is a Piston filler, it's an old one, and I have yet to ink it up as I see no need to when my "old iron sides" ( my Passaporto" ) is going so strong for me! Then to see the look on people's faces when I whip out a tiny Fountain Pen to sign a document, be a car wash receipt, meal ticket or what have you, is just too funny to see the look on their faces when they realize what kinda pen it is. So my vote to you? Is the Passaporto. Good luck with your decision and don't forget to let us know which way you Fly!

Another pen to consider would be the Pilot Elite (and its variants from Platinum and Sailor), typically known as the Long/Short pens: long cap, short barrel. The MYU is only the most expensive variant, but you can find great deals on the non-MYU models (such as Elite). A 14/18K nib version would cost you under $50 (for Platinum) up to $70 (for Pilot Elite) and they are great pens.

Also, another vote for a vintage Kaweco Sport, but this time the V16. They were made in the late 1960s, I believe, and while being similar to the ones from the 1930s (piston filler), they have a semi-hooded nib. They are usually in a better condition, and are significantly cheaper. With some patience, you can find one on Ebay for about the same price as an Al-Sport. The ones on Ebay also tend to have very smooth OM nibs that have great line variation and are simply outstanding writers. notworthy1.gif

Edited by ninad

Another pen to consider would be the Pilot Elite (and its variants from Platinum and Sailor), typically known as the Long/Short pens: long cap, short barrel.

I was under the impression that the long/short pens only used cartridges. I already have a Platinum one but all I have ever read says they it only uses the short international cart.

Miles R. Hadn't seen those, but you are right, I just ordered 2 for less than 8 bucks shipped. I will still look for another, but those might be good back ups.

Well so far the list seems to be:

the Kaweco -- piston fill if I can find it

the passaporto

and the Sheaffer Tuckaway.

Another pen to consider would be the Pilot Elite (and its variants from Platinum and Sailor), typically known as the Long/Short pens: long cap, short barrel.

I was under the impression that the long/short pens only used cartridges. I already have a Platinum one but all I have ever read says they it only uses the short international cart.

I am not sure about the Platinums, but the 1970s Pilot Elite takes the CON-20, IIRC.

Check the German Ebay for Kaweco Pistons, they usually have a bunch. I am not sure if many sellers ship abroad, but perhaps someone on the board can help you figure that out. I need to take more German lessons to be able to help you. mellow.gif

Edited by ninad

A little on the pricey side but with an awesome 14K nib, I'd recommend the Sailor Sapporo Mini. Engeika sells them with modified converters so you don't have to use cartridges. And he's having a free shipping sale right now. No affiliation, just happy customer from his last free shipping sale.

A little on the pricey side but with an awesome 14K nib, I'd recommend the Sailor Sapporo Mini. Engeika sells them with modified converters so you don't have to use cartridges. And he's having a free shipping sale right now. No affiliation, just happy customer from his last free shipping sale.

+1 to both Sailor an Engeika.

I have one but it is such a beauty that I cannot put it in my pockets. It is always in my shirt pocket or pampered in a soft carrying case. With Kaweco I do not mind. It is a built to be

put under pressure.

Regards,

Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

I ended up going with a Sheaffer Statesman Tuckaway -- one with the itty bitty clip. I will probably get one of those Kawecos at some point when I can find a nice piston filler, and who knows maybe I will pick up a passaporto some day. I thought there would be more enthusiasm for the Bexley, as it seems a nice pen, but apparently it doesn't have the following the others carry. Thanks for everybody's suggestions, but especially tspin46 for sending me in a direction I wasn't thinking, one which fit the bill perfectly, and to Miles R. for those neat Chinese pens which I am sure I will press into duty when they arrive.