Phileas

Left FPN

could this be one for £13.50

The nib says Phileas but I can't see the second band on the cap or the cigar tab on the barrel....but I was not going to ask just incase my question got posted. :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by Force

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• drlloyd65

• penspouse

• threeeye

Looks like a poor photo of one.

Phileas (according to Penspotter) was introduced in mid 90's and has been discontinued within past 5 years IIRC.

Vintage? No.

Old? Depends on the critic's age.

Worth the 13.50 pounds? Yes, sir.

Looks like a poor photo of one.

Phileas (according to Penspotter) was introduced in mid 90's and has been discontinued within past 5 years IIRC.

Vintage? No.

Old? Depends on the critic's age.

Worth the 13.50 pounds? Yes, sir.

Like the Waterman Instruction booklet, Richards web page needs updating :rolleyes: and I see he shows the Danude Blue (red & blue).

Yes, that was the gamble I took. I am not sure if Waterman produced a Kultur in this colour. Although it could still be one with a Phili section.

I, post purchase, messaged the seller who said the pen does have the cigar band....but the proof of pudding will be when received.

I hope it is this,

fpn_1336926881__dscn1249.jpg

Edited by Force

A Kultur it is.

The bluff was the nib, while it looks Phileas, the gold has worn in such a way as the leave it looking Phileas like. It is otherwise in unscratched and excellent to mint condition.

But I am not sure about the colour name. I have not seen a Danube in the flesh and I would not describe it as that colour comparing it to the catalogue. It's more a red/blue (old book) mottled finish but definitely not marble.

Pictures to follow in a few days after a good ultasonic clean of the section.

Interesting. I had never heard of or seen this pen before today until I opened this in the Classifieds. Now I am anxious to see pictures of yours. Nice coincidence.

What a coincidence. That is exactly the same model. thanks

Catalogue showing the Danube.

Edited by Force

The non-blue portions seem different from Danube in that photo (this one seems more red than the Danube's non-blue accents). The blue portion is hard to tell compared to Danube because of the picture lighting.

Well, probably the most difficult colour to photograph. Putting a similar colour behind helped.

fpn_1337412788__dsc_4516.jpg

The Waterman Phileas was my first. I loved it! I still have the blue and green deco with a matching rollerball. It was an inexpensive fountain pen at the time and served as a "gateway" for others. I hope you get one and enjoy it.

Scooter

Yes, I would bid on this Mississippi but the nibs dirty. :unsure:

It started out at $1200. The seller probably reconsidered the condition so has lowered it to a more acceptable price :unsure:

Edited by Force

The Waterman Phileas was my first. I loved it! I still have the blue and green deco with a matching rollerball. It was an inexpensive fountain pen at the time and served as a "gateway" for others. I hope you get one and enjoy it.

Scooter

Me too. I have the green and still use it everyday.

All I want is 1 more pen, and 1 more bottle of ink, and maybe 1 more pad of paper. Well, at least until tomorrow. Oh yeah, and throw in that bottle of single malt. Is that asking for too much?

thanks Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am surprised...no bidders from day 1 for this Danube and at only £20 it's a steal. :embarrassed_smile: Maybe the spelling error 'Philleas' helped.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, probably the most difficult colour to photograph. Putting a similar colour behind helped.

fpn_1337412788__dsc_4516.jpg

Hi, can you tell me what the pen in your photo posted on 19 May is - is it a Kultur Danube?

I have just purchased the exact same pen as your photo and am a little confused reading through the posts. My pen doesn't have the typical Phileas gold band on the end of the barrel and has a plain gold band as per your photo and on the nib is just says 'Waterman Paris F' all gold plated not the typical two tone like the Phileas. I have tried searching and googling all without success until I read this post and seen your photo which is exactly the same fountain pen.

I am a little confused with reading the posts and assume its a Kulter Danube?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

David

Hi, can you tell me what the pen in your photo posted on 19 May is - is it a Kultur Danube?

I have just purchased the exact same pen as your photo and am a little confused reading through the posts. My pen doesn't have the typical Phileas gold band on the end of the barrel and has a plain gold band as per your photo and on the nib is just says 'Waterman Paris F' all gold plated not the typical two tone like the Phileas. I have tried searching and googling all without success until I read this post and seen your photo which is exactly the same fountain pen.

I am a little confused with reading the posts and assume its a Kulter Danube?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

David

It is purely a Kultur and I am not aware the patterns and colours have specific names. It is definitely not Danube Blue.

A Phileas is recognised by its twin gold band cap, one at the top the other at the bottom and a cigar band on lower barrel. The sections of both Phileas and Kultur are interchangeable. This was the confusing aspect with the pen in my post, the nib picture on the auction looked Phileas but that was due to the gold having worn off leaving an almost identical Phileas patterned nib. It did not worry me because this pen has a very attractive finish.

Further to this, the Kultur was/is also available in one piece barrel and in numerous finishes.

This is just unbelievable...

Edited by Force

Thank you, you advice is much appreciated.

It would be good to know what they called this particular colour as I have never seen a pen with such a great design and colour scheme. It looks brownish in tho box but under light the colours and patterns are excellent.

Great pen and again thanks.