What Is A Broad Nib?

l4yercak3

..and which companies make them for their pens? ..or at least allow u to switch the nibs out into a broad.

Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beak

• jslallar

• coleam

• ebluegrass

A broad nib is one that is wider than the medium nib that a given company puts on its pens.

A Broad is simply the next size up from Medium. Nearly all companies make them - the only ones I can think of that don't are the Noodler's Flex pens/Ahab, which are only sold with flex nibs (though 3rd party standard nibs can be bought, including Broads) and some cheap Chinese eBay pens, which are usually either Medium only or have no specified size.

As for companies that sell separate broad nibs, off the top of my head: Pelikan, TWSBI, Knox (via xFountainpens; they fit a variety of pens, including Noodlers, Bulow, and (maybe) Jinhao), Esterbrook (vintage/NOS), and Parker (at least for the vintage/NOS 45; not sure about other models). I'm sure I missed some, but these are probably the big ones. Most companies will also allow you to send in your pen for a nib exchange.

Edit: forgot Sailor.

Edited by coleam

What is a dog? Something that isn't a cat.

How long is a piece of string?

/Soundsider

...jumps over the lazy dog.

A broad nib is the lowest form of wit - no wait - that's sarcasm.

fpn_1334969931__broad_lowres.jpg

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

Ah, you always learn something new.

I though B stood for broad, but looking at your picture it might as well stand for BRILLIANT.

So a B nib is a nib that writes with a metallic shine, right??? :roflmho:

Edited by beluga

According to the Pendemonium web site, classification is as follows. Note that this is the outside width of the nib measured with a micrometer, not the actual width of the inked line on paper:

EF 0.3 - 0.4 mm

F 0.5 - 0.7

M 0.8 - 0.9

B 1.0 - 1.1

BB 1.2 - 1.4

My experience (I'm a lefty overwriter) is that my actual line width is much less: M nibs for me write 0.37 - 0.62 mm. Does not much depend on paper or ink. I left out Japanese pens, which are much narrower still. I measure inked line width with an optical comparator - used for soil analysis.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

Just another stupid answer, a broad nib is a nib that writes broadly! :rolleyes:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

To be serious for a moment, broad nibs are nice because the extra ink and nib surface area makes for a very smooth lubricated writing experience.

Just save up $60, go buy a Lamy Safari with an XF Nib. Then buy 3 $10 nibs (F, M, B, obviously). Have $10 for shipping (If you can't find somewhere to get it for free...)

Cheap easy way to figure it out. Note that all companies have different sizes.

You may hear people on FPN mentioning "Japanese Fine", or "European Fine" (as well with other sizes). Nibs produced in said regions tend to be slightly different than each other. You are also going to get different line widths depending on the pen, humidity, ink, paper and just about anything else!

Plus if you go with the route of buying a Safari to figure it out - you're "stuck" with a great working pen that has every regular nib size! (I recommend purchasing a 1.1m &/or 1/5m stub too...)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

If "B" nib = 1.0, and "F" nib = 0.5, is a Fine nib the lowest form of half-wit ?

Seriouisly, what ink is the raised cursive "Broad"? Is it commercally available?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Seriouisly, what ink is the raised cursive "Broad"? Is it commercally available?

Seriously, it's a Photoshop technique performed on the photo - if you could make an ink that did this, you'd be a millionaire by the end of the year.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

In addition to the other companies previously listed where you can change, you can swap out Aurora nib/feed assemblies.

Aurora makes a very satisfying broad nib.

And then there's the double broads by some companies like Pelikan, which can be switched.

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

According to the Pendemonium web site, classification is as follows. Note that this is the outside width of the nib measured with a micrometer, not the actual width of the inked line on paper:

EF 0.3 - 0.4 mm

F 0.5 - 0.7

M 0.8 - 0.9

B 1.0 - 1.1

BB 1.2 - 1.4

My experience (I'm a lefty overwriter) is that my actual line width is much less: M nibs for me write 0.37 - 0.62 mm. Does not much depend on paper or ink. I left out Japanese pens, which are much narrower still. I measure inked line width with an optical comparator - used for soil analysis.

Bob

Broadly speaking, a broad nib is broader than the ones which are not as broad (EEF, EF, F, & M) and not as broad as the really broad ones (BB, BBB, OBB, OBBB, zoom, cosu, calligraphy & music etc)

Bob above has his ideas about broads (quoting pendemonium), whereas at nibs.com (http://www.nibs.com/...ngSizespage.htm) you may find that almost every company has a different idea about what braod should be.

To me (a broad nib buff) a broad starts at a lne width of 1mm. Some "Ms" come close eg Waterman, and many "Bs' are no good Parker 51 eg.

But seriously my first statement holds true and is interpretted differently by different manufacturers and users.

Edited by jslallar

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid