Replacement Seal For Soennneken 122.

garnet

I have a Soennecken 112 which is in very good condition. I've had it for a number of years. But now the rubber seal on the piston has failed. I have tried various options to replace this but all have failed. I need to improvise to replace it. Does anyone have any hints on what I can use in place of the original rubber seal?

Lamy 2000 xf

PELIKAN 800 (Binder xxxf) Green striated.

Pelikan 140 f & xf

DuoFold (1955) italic

PFM V xf

Collection of 200+ Wyverns

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garnet

• christof

• markiv

• Josele

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Soennecken 112 which is in very good condition. I've had it for a number of years. But now the rubber seal on the piston has failed. I have tried various options to replace this but all have failed. I need to improvise to replace it. Does anyone have any hints on what I can use in place of the original rubber seal?

Have you tried using o-rings?

Several websites sell an assortment of different sized o-rings.

I am not familiar with the 122. Could you post a picture please?

Usually, pre 1960's Soenneckens should be repaired with cork seals. There are several repair persons who offer this service. With some experience and the correct tools it can be don by yourself.

Thanks for these replies. I've enquired to Battersea Penhome about O rings and here is a picture of the pen.

Lamy 2000 xf

Pelikan 140 f & xf

DuoFold (1955) italic

PFM V xf

Thanks for these replies. I've enquired to Battersea Penhome about O rings and here is a picture of the pen.

post-10351-0-99996400-1333974955.jpg

post-10351-0-38216700-1333974961.jpg

Lamy 2000 xf

Pelikan 140 f & xf

DuoFold (1955) italic

PFM V xf

Thanks for the compliment. The seal can be seen in the picture at bottom left. It is a cork seal. I had to split it to get it off as the retaining washer had selaed itself against it. I'll scout around to see if anyone can provide a replacemnet but I am quite confident to do it myself if I had the part.

Lamy 2000 xf

Pelikan 140 f & xf

DuoFold (1955) italic

PFM V xf

That is a very nice pen. The cap top is very similar to the Tower pens which was a sub-brand of Soennecken.

Like Christof mentioned a cork seal will be the right replacement for this pen. Usually the "retaining washer" is screwed into the piston. Try some dry heat (hair-dryer) and it may come off. If you are a DIY kind of person check out this guy on eBay.

Also if you are doing it for the first time read this helpful page by the pen genius - Tom Westerich.

Would love to see it once it is restored.

Here are two pictures I took while I did my last cork seal replacement on a Soennecken. Perhaps This helps...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7251/6917532582_e3a7ba1bc4_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7210/6917532428_601d60fff8_c.jpg

Edited by christof

That is a very nice pen. The cap top is very similar to the Tower pens which was a sub-brand of Soennecken.

Like Christof mentioned a cork seal will be the right replacement for this pen. Usually the "retaining washer" is screwed into the piston. Try some dry heat (hair-dryer) and it may come off. If you are a DIY kind of person check out this guy on eBay.

Also if you are doing it for the first time read this helpful page by the pen genius - Tom Westerich.

Would love to see it once it is restored.

I did get the retaining washer off with no problem but the cork was stuck to it, that's why the seal was split. The pen dismantled completely with the brass threads being a benefit to the ease of dismantling. I'll try to make a seal out of cork. Just need to source the cork.

Lamy 2000 xf

Pelikan 140 f & xf

DuoFold (1955) italic

PFM V xf