New Nettuno Docet By Aurora

stesil

Nettuno brand was recently acquired by Aurora that just launched the new Docet celebrating the 100 years of the brand.

It's just me or it just looks like a piston filler Aurora 88 with a different resin?

post-63054-0-47895200-1328029109.jpg

I still think is pretty nice, even though they could have put a little more effort in it for such a an important celebration.

the source of the news and picture:

http://fpgeeks.com/2012/01/nettuno-celebrates-100-year-anniversary-with-re-release-of-the-docet/

Please remove them if it not allowed

Per aspera ad astra

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stesil

• eric47

• georges zaslavsky

• simp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it's not uncommon for LE pens (small numbered runs) to be based on existing moulds and designs no doubt to keep the costs down. That's what's happening here. Some companies do that more than others. Note though the Msrp for these pens aren't way out there.

There are very few modern 88s made in Auroloide, most are black resin, silver or vermeil overlay. So if you ever wanted an Auroloide 88 here it is. But there are differences: the clip, the captured capband, a curved section in Auroloide and not black. And the nib of course.

LOL, a Nettuno made by Aurora, I suspect Georges won't be buying one of these. Just joking Georges.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Well it's not uncommon for LE pens (small numbered runs) to be based on existing moulds and designs no doubt to keep the costs down. That's what's happening here. Some companies do that more than others. Note though the Msrp for these pens aren't way out there.

There are very few modern 88s made in Auroloide, most are black resin, silver or vermeil overlay. So if you ever wanted an Auroloide 88 here it is. But there are differences: the clip, the captured capband, a curved section in Auroloide and not black. And the nib of course.

LOL, a Netunno made by Aurora, I suspect Georges won't be buying one of these. Just joking Georges.

:roflmho: :ltcapd: thanks for the laugh. I will have to try one but if this one is a nail, it will be a no

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

That's clearly an Aurora, ...

I clearly prefer a "real" Nettuno (i.e. a vintage one), but my biggest doubt is why they are talking about 100 years, when, at least in the Letizia book, the foundation of the company (as registered in Bologna) is reported to be done in 1916...

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

looking at fountainpen.it wiki, it appears that the founder (Mr. Vecchietti) drafted brand and first advertising back in 1911 and only registered the brand in 1916.

The above is also confirmed on the original Vecchietti shop website.

Enough to celebrate a centenary?

Per aspera ad astra

Ok, I have cast all my doubts away and ordered the pen in gray:

post-63054-0-05786500-1328121010.jpg

What intrigued me, in addition to the simple and classic design, was the color that I hope to be as much attractive in reality as it is in the picture.

I think I also got a good deal from goldpen.it with a 85€ reduction from list price. I have admit it was also the only site that allowed placing an actual order.

we'll see. I am not used in spending so much in FP's but this hit something...

Who knows, I might also write my first review.

Edited by stesil

Per aspera ad astra

The Aurora 88 reference caught my attention. I've always wanted an 88 in red resin but have never seen one in any colour other than black.

How do the nibs on he Docet differ from the standard Aurora nibs used on the 88/Optima? I assume they are smaller?

LOL, a Nettuno made by Aurora, I suspect Georges won't be buying one of these. Just joking Georges.

I think it's gorgeous, both the brown and the grey. I don't know which one I like better. ( I like the shape of the 88- just wish it came in more than just black, so this pen is very appealing!)

All these gorgeous pens... darn, I need a new job... :roflmho: maybe then I can afford them all!

Edited by Lothianjavert

The Aurora 88 reference caught my attention. I've always wanted an 88 in red resin but have never seen one in any colour other than black.

How do the nibs on he Docet differ from the standard Aurora nibs used on the 88/Optima? I assume they are smaller?

There was a brown Auroloide 88 with gold cap floating around last year, most likely a commissioned pen.

I suspect the nib shape and cut is similar if not identical to the 88/Optima nibs; they look identical. Whether they are soft(er) I don't know. My local shop hasn't gotten them in yet -- just received notice from a reliable source that the pens are still in production. When my local shop gets them in, I'll try the nib and ask to compare it to an 88/Optima nib.

From the photos, I like all but the gray. I'll reserve judgment however until I see them all.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

There was a brown Auroloide 88 with gold cap floating around last year, most likely a commissioned pen.

I suspect the nib shape and cut is similar if not identical to the 88/Optima nibs; they look identical. Whether they are soft(er) I don't know. My local shop hasn't gotten them in yet -- just received notice from a reliable source that the pens are still in production. When my local shop gets them in, I'll try the nib and ask to compare it to an 88/Optima nib.

From the photos, I like all but the gray. I'll reserve judgment however until I see them all.

Ths shop just called me and they confirmed that are still in production. Shipment due in two weeks. They were so nice to ask me if I preferred a specific number and asked to give them a choice of three so that they could try to get me one.

Very good service!

Edited by stesil

Per aspera ad astra

I had it in my hands during the CartExpo exhibition in Milan, last month, and I didn't recognize the 88 shape. It's similar, because of the rounded top and bottom, but I had the impression it was more slender than Large 88, and bigger than the Medium 88, as I remembered them.

Or maybe it was the completely different material... BTH, they told me it was celluloid, not auroloid. I'll ask again, though.

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

Susanna,

Thanks for the info on the size of the pens. I still haven't seen them. I'd hope to see some samples but there was just way too much snow this weekend.

As for the material, Penna says PMMA (polymethyl methacrylate), which I seems to recall someone said is what Auroloide is..

Edited by eric47

I spoke to Kenro about these and they'll have them in LA for the show. I can't wait to get my hands on one. If they have a burgundy/red one it may be coming home with me ;-)

This certainly is a beauty.

Does anyone know the weight? Thats normally my problem with many Italian celluloid pens, they are too light for my taste.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~