Tap And Die

watch_art

Been looking for a 15mm 1" OD die and a tap to go with it, no luck so far. Something like 9/16 x 28tpi would be good too.

I've found #4 and 6 (and so on) dies.

How big is that?? What does #4 mean? If it was 4mm wouldn't it just say 4mm??

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Rich L

• chugbug

• Wile E Coyote

Top Posters In This Topic

#6-32 screw has a 0.1380" OD. with 32 threads per inch.

#4 is 0.1120" OD

Metrics are generally written with a leading M ie. M6x1 where 6 is the nominal diameter.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Have a look at the taps and dies at Victor Machinery. I'll be getting some from them soon for myself as they are reputed to be a good company to deal with. http://www.victornet.com/index.html

I have a 14 x .8 triple start and a 12 x .8 triple start with a 10 x .75 triple set on order. They were part of group buys on another forum (you belong to it ;) ) and were custom orders. Mike at Silver Pen Parts sells them but I'll warn you they are spendy :rolleyes:. http://www.silverpenparts.com/pb/wp_dfdf98a0/wp_dfdf98a0.html

The 14mm is a 1 1/2" die size as would the 15mm dies. There isn't enough meat left around a 1" die to make a 15mm.

Pete

Hi Shawn,

I hope your're progressing... A good place to get stock size dies (or anything for that matter) is McMaster Carr - www.mcmaster.com. Most dies are $40 - $50 each, which some may find to be a little expensive, but they always have stuff in stock.

Also it looks like (at least with McMaster anyway) 18 tpi is the most you can get with a stock 9/16" threaded die, and the diameter of the die will be 1 1/2". Looks like the 1" diameter dies stop with 1/2" (thread) size.

Keep practicing!

John

JEB's PENs

www.jebspens.com

Hand-made Pens / Pencils

& Custom Fountain Pens.

http://www.jebspens.com/fpn_sig_pic.jpg

Just FYI: number size threads are screwball US threads -- you can calculate the major diameter in inches by 0.06 + 0.013*n where n is the number.

I did find this.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=19509843&PMAKA=319-6482

I think I'll go with it since it's the size I want at a finer thread count.

I found the triple start 14mm threads over at silver pen parts, but it's 125 plus shipping.

Now all I need is a 1 1/2" die holder for the lathe....

Hmmm..

There's this...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=318-2033&PMPXNO=2611513&PARTPG=INLMK3

I know they're out there cheaper, but either way, what about the shank size? This won't fit my 1/2 drill chuck, and it won't go into the tail stock.

Ugh...

Hi Shawn,

I wanted to correct my own mis-information I posted earlier... For some reason when I search McMaster Carr the first time they only showed me up to 18 TPI as their stock size for the 9/16" diameter tap & dies, but after I dug a little deeper later, I found more. Now it looks like they have them up to 32 tpi (12, 16, 18, 20, 24, 27, 32).

Sorry for the error...John

JEB's PENs

www.jebspens.com

Hand-made Pens / Pencils

& Custom Fountain Pens.

http://www.jebspens.com/fpn_sig_pic.jpg

This may sound a little strange but if you are in need of non standard taps and dies I would try Brownells. They are a gunsmith supply house and they used to have a selection of sizes and thread pitches that no one else would have.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

I see a lot of talk about taps and dies with respect to pen turning. Am I the only person that single point cuts threads?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I see a lot of talk about taps and dies with respect to pen turning. Am I the only person that single point cuts threads?

Of course not!

Let's start a thread ( tongue.gif ) that asks where to get single point threading tools...

There's actually a youtube video that I can't find right now that shows some guy holding a threading tool in his hand and threading what appears to be an acrylic barrel.

Cheers,

Rich

Classic Guilloché ------------ www.argentblue.com ------------Damascus Steel

FarmBoy, it's probable you are among a small minority.

There are reasons:

1. A triple start thread is slow to set up & takes a lot of thinking about.
  2. A tap & die isn't and doesn't.
  3. Not everyone has a screw cutting lathe. Many here make the pens with a wood lathe and hand tools. This makes chasing the thread the only option, and that's a skill it takes years to master unless you have incredible aptitude.
  4. A die doesn't.

I think a lot of it comes down to people having more money than time, want to make pens as quickly as possible and can afford the cost of taps & dies, but not the years of experience to become proficient machinists. The net result is they (and I) steal the trade by using taps & dies instead.

Regards,

Richard.

Doesn't 'Tap and Die' sound like the title of a novel or movie? Hmmm...

Alright, I know I just contributed nothing, but I thought it was funny, and haven't had my morning coffee. :embarrassed_smile: -_-

Ken

Alright, I know I just contributed nothing, but I thought it was funny, and haven't had my morning coffee. :embarrassed_smile: -_-

Ken

I like "Double Tap and Die" ... sorry ...

I think Richard's comments are pertinent. Lots of decisions to make about how to make something and keep the process, fun, satisfying, and perhaps profitable. I've manually single pointed multiple lead threads and although I get them to come out just fine, it takes a while and I do admit that having a threading lathe with a DRO helps tremendously. What's even more tremendous is using a CNC lathe with relatively modern G-code threading cycles built in (like G76). Making one of those go through its paces can produce threading that a tap and die cannot such as such as programmed thread pull-out or chamfer. But that's a subtle detail. I also think that for the money taps and dies are a great way to go if they do what you want. And, anyway, CNC machines use taps and dies, too.

Cheers,

Rich

Classic Guilloché ------------ www.argentblue.com ------------Damascus Steel

Ken

I saw the title, and thought immediately of "that's what she said..." :headsmack:

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!