Parker Sonnet Stainless Steel Gt Mono

thepianolist

This is a bit off topic of fountain pens but I hope someone will be able to help. I got this pen as a gift but there are no instructions in the box with it. Since the pen doesn't have a separate cap that twists off, how do you change the refill? Also, I have read conflicting statements as to the size refill this takes. In some places it says a standard refill fits - in others, it says the D1 refill has to be used. I think there is some confusion between the mini and mono pens. The one I have can be seen here:

http://pensandgifts.net/pasoststgtmo.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to damage the pen before I even have a chance to use it! It's better to ask what is probably a stupid question than to just try different things!

Thanks,

Bryant

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thepianolist

• ceejaybee

• Format

• PeterPenPencil

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen one of these pens but logically, if it cannot be opened, then it is unlikely that it can be refilled, the pen will last as long as the refill perhaps.

This is a bit off topic of fountain pens but I hope someone will be able to help. I got this pen as a gift but there are no instructions in the box with it. Since the pen doesn't have a separate cap that twists off, how do you change the refill? Also, I have read conflicting statements as to the size refill this takes. In some places it says a standard refill fits - in others, it says the D1 refill has to be used. I think there is some confusion between the mini and mono pens. The one I have can be seen here:

http://pensandgifts.net/pasoststgtmo.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to damage the pen before I even have a chance to use it! It's better to ask what is probably a stupid question than to just try different things!

Thanks,

Bryant

It is mini parker Sonnet, you can see one here on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-Mono-Mini-Sonnet-Stainless-Steel-Ball-pen-gold-trim-1743629-/290609013779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a9a5a413

there are standard parker mini refill for them all around the world on eBay

Hope this be of some help for you

I had exactly the same problem refilling my mono (not mini - the minis are a smaller version of the normal sonnet ballpoint that splits at the centre and takes a full sized refill) the paperwork supplied with them doesn't give any clues either! I tried every which way to open it to change the refill to no avail, I eventually came to the conclusion that the only way must be to unscrew the tip of the pen (at the writing end :rolleyes: ) it was incredibly tight and I had to wear a rubber glove to grip it, and sure enough I managed to free it. The refills are the D1 size as you mentioned :thumbup:

Edited by ceejaybee

I had exactly the same problem refilling my mono (not mini - the minis are a smaller version of the normal sonnet ballpoint that splits at the centre and takes a full sized refill) the paperwork supplied with them doesn't give any clues either! I tried every which way to open it to change the refill to no avail, I eventually came to the conclusion that the only way must be to unscrew the tip of the pen (at the writing end :rolleyes: ) it was incredibly tight and I had to wear a rubber glove to grip it, and sure enough I managed to free it. The refills are the D1 size as you mentioned :thumbup:

Thank you so much! I just got the thing and didn't want to damage it by doing something stupid trying to get it apart!

Bryant

update:

Well, I managed to get the tip of the pen off. I don't know if the one I have is a newer version but the tip doesn't screw off, it just pulls straight off. The entire mechanism that advances and retracts the point comes off with the tip. I can see the D1 refill inside and through the end that turns but have no idea how to open the mechanism to change the refill. The whole thing looks a lot like a fountain pen converter.

Bryant Stott

update:

Well, I managed to get the tip of the pen off. I don't know if the one I have is a newer version but the tip doesn't screw off, it just pulls straight off. The entire mechanism that advances and retracts the point comes off with the tip. I can see the D1 refill inside and through the end that turns but have no idea how to open the mechanism to change the refill. The whole thing looks a lot like a fountain pen converter.

Bryant Stott

I just tried pulling the tip off mine and sure enough the mechanism slides out just as yours has, I'm pretty sure that the tip still needs to unscrew to get at the refill - I posted a photo so you can compare and you can see where it unscrews, as I said mine was really tight - I was on the verge of giving up trying until I'd contacted Parker for correct procedure :gaah:

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/ceejaybee_photo/IMG_1476.jpg

Now, after unscrewing it the first time it comes off no problem :thumbup:

Edited by ceejaybee

You are such a smart cookie - using rubber gloves! I was able to unscrew the tip on mine this way! But the mechanism on mine is too lose. With the tip finally loosened, the entire mechanism wants to turn when either removing or tightening the tip. I think it is a case of poor quality control in manufacturing. So . . . I decided to use some Crazy Glue to fix the mechanism in place! There is no need to remove the whole thing. The tip is all that has to come off in order to refill the pen. I was careful to only get glue on the plastic part that turns so as not to ruin the extend and retract feature of the pen. Well, the operation was a complete success and the patient lived! I even had the extra benefit of being able to orient the mechanism so that "Parker" lines up with the clip when the point is retracted! No biggie - just a bit of accommodation for my OCD!

I want to thank you so much for taking the time and effort to help me figure out what was going on here. I guess I could have sent the pen back since I just got it, but no telling if the replacement would have been any better - and this particular pen has a very nice finish with no tiny scratches or blemishes (OCD again!) and who knows how another one might arrive! So now the pen is refillable and the mechanism doesn't shift around when removing or replacing the tip. It's a shame I had to mess around with a new product in order to get it to work properly.

Thank you and have a wonderfully HAPPY NEW YEAR!