What Is The Oldest Pen In Your Collection?

punchy71

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• Gobblecup

• ANM

• Kaptenmork

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an antique dip pen with goldstone handle and a gold Mabie Todd flex nib. I have no real idea when it was made, but I'm assuming near the end of the 19th century. It's a neat pen and writes well from what I can tell. Too bad I don't know how to use a flex nib well!

My second oldest is an old Waterman vest pen with sterling silver overlay from the 1910's. I sometimes forget I have it since it is in dire need of restoration and I don't get to enjoy it much. Still a very neat pen.

Edited by trump321

Not really sure but likely a Conklin Crescent from right around WWI or earlier. Have a few handguns I use regularly from about the same period.

Circa 1899 Sterling (company name not the metal alloy) BHR and about the same time Colonial Pen Company BHR Which becomes Boston Fountain Pen Company which is purchased by Wahl in 1917.

Roger W.

I would guess that the oldest one I have is a mottled hard rubber eye dropper with a slip cap. The imprint says it is a Chas W. Guy Fountain Pen and the patent date is July 28,'96. That would be 1896. I have had it since before 1986.

PS edit: It has a flexible gold nib that says All American 14K

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Do dip pens count? This Eagle Arrow has a groovy button release mechanism for the nib and was patented in 1887.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4652932067_d38dc7094b_b.jpg

Edited by jbb

I have an old blow-filler from the 19th century. It has advertizing on it for a sheet iron factory in Cleveland, Ohio. The pen uses a dip pen nib and the feed has a twisted silk string in it for capillarity. There is no manufacturer's name on it.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

NO :) dip pens don't count. BUT FWIW I also have an Eagle Arrow pat.Feb 1, 1887

Edited by ANM

There's a medieval contraption I've inherited from a colleague that could be an early piston filler or a surgical instrument. Does it count if it doesn't have a nib?

I don't have any vintage pens in my collection. My oldest pen though is a MB Agatha Christie which was originally released in 1993.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Probably one of these Watermans for my collection, I also have a little Eagle ringtop, but no pictures of it.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/e73a9f28.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/fab67fab.jpg

Gobblecup ~

my black and pearl Eclipse flat top. the patent date on the clip says 1923, but it was more probably made after 1924 since it's made of celluloid.

fpn_1309570043__1.jpg

restored the filler myself, but i still need to get a crack in the waterman's super flex nib welded before i can use it.

Edited by ticoun

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

As of today, it is a Waterman 52v lever fill in black hard rubber chased made in 1918. I also have a Waterman #12 eyedropper in red ripple made from hard rubber that dates from about 1920.

I paid $1 at a flea market for the 52v and $10 at an antique store for the #12 red ripple. Both have super flex (maybe even wet noodle) nibs.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Waterman BHR 12 1/2, but I'm not sure when it was made. It's got the same patent dates as some pens on David Nishimura's site, but I don't know how he determines date of manufacture. Just found a post from someone looking for info on a vintage Waterman (including when te pen was made), on the Waterman forum but nobody replied, so that's no help either.

So all I know is that my pen is old. :)

Edited by Moondrop

"We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?"

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCF3642.jpg

Here is a picture of the two pens I mentioned. My Arrow is not nearly in as nice a condition as is jbb's.

my black and pearl Eclipse flat top. the patent date on the clip says 1923, but it was more probably made after 1924 since it's made of celluloid.

fpn_1309570043__1.jpg

restored the filler myself, but i still need to get a crack in the waterman's super flex nib welded before i can use it.

That pen looks like the same celluloid (and similar style) of this Mabie Todd Swallow. I just looked at the imprint and it says:"PAT.MAY 21-18". But that's just the patent date, and I don't know enough about this pen to guess its actual age.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/IMG_1218.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/IMG_1224.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/IMG_1230.jpg

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

My oldest (and only vintage) pen is my sumgai Plum Parker "51". All of my other pens are of recent manufacture.

Foo! So many pens and inks, so little money....

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png fpn_1323303417__postcrossing_button.gif

This John Holland Jewel follows after the Eclipse and the MT Swallow. Dated early '20s in one of his catalogs.

But one of my older pens is this Moore Safety, Pat. Sept.8, 1898

post-35057-0-12366200-1318797204.jpg

Also have a couple of Edison's that pre-date the Moore, but no pics right now