Noodler's Ink: Galileo Manuscript Brown

Signum1

Ann (Our Moderator),

There are three ink reviews uploaded tonight.

The Ink Review

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8890/galileobrown.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• Signum1

• JLT

• corniche

I always enjoy seeing your calligraphy and reviews. Much appreciated! Just want to note that my several-year-old bottle of Galileo Manuscript Brown gives a much redder color. Either the newer mixes are less red, or itʻs just a matter of batch to batch inconsistency.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5431679453_4da705efb3_z.jpg

(click for bigger image)

Iʻm not sure which hue I like better...

Doug

Edited by HDoug

My older bottle tends toward red as well, especially if I forget to mix the ink up before filling.

Both colors are lovely, and I can tell I'd be happy with the browner batch, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently received a Pilot Custom 743

with FA nib and was wanting a BOLD ink for a SIGNATURE pen!

This one is it!!! The flexy nib puts a swath of the antique ink across the page and it really stands out.

I soaked the paper in water for 10 minutes and it was absolutely waterproof.

Now I'm writing and signing checks with it. Stunning!

Love the color

Nice review

Beautiful calligraphy...thank you!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Beautiful review! And a fantastic ink. I wish I could take the stuff intravenously (joke) :thumbup:

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

This ink is an incredible gusher in my pens. I have it loaded in a Cross Century II at the moment (chosen as one of my drier writers), and it makes the fine nib seem to be broad. The effect is even more pronounced in other pens. I'm going to try it it my Ouguwen fine CI at the weekend, which has the tightest line of any pen I've got. If it doesn't behave there, I'm not going to be able to use it. A pity, because I like the color and would be glad to have a usable waterproof brown.

This ink is an incredible gusher in my pens. I have it loaded in a Cross Century II at the moment (chosen as one of my drier writers), and it makes the fine nib seem to be broad. The effect is even more pronounced in other pens. I'm going to try it it my Ouguwen fine CI at the weekend, which has the tightest line of any pen I've got. If it doesn't behave there, I'm not going to be able to use it. A pity, because I like the color and would be glad to have a usable waterproof brown.

Maybe try it in a Platinum Preppy .05 nib. That's what I use it in and it works great.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Thank you for the excellent review. I always appreciate ink reviews that truly show me how the ink behaves. Here, on FPN, the ink reviews are almost always good in this respect. Your review is excellent and I believe I will be ordering another Noodler's ink.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Great review and writing samples.

Brown ink is definitely my favourite colour. These days I'm particularly fond of Noodler's Brown 41, Walnut and FPN Galileo. I got to try the last one thanks to the generosity of our fellow member Nibble.

Quan el centre del món no ets ben bé tu (per més que en tinguis la il·lusió),

si et desvetllaven enmig de la nit, no vulguis preguntar-te per què vius:

distreu-te rosegant l'ungla d'un dit. [I beg your pardon, Salvador Espriu]

Walnut is much darker. GMB is a really beautiful antique-y looking med. br. on Claire paper. Shading is very subtle. Newer bottles are lighter in general, even after shaken not stirred. I'd call it almost bronze under magnification.Beaver, Walnut & GMB r my 3 Noodler's browns....all with Safari 1.5.

Edited by SnowLeopard

Hello Signum, et al,

I have never been a big brown buff; however, I am visualizing this ink on my ivory letterhead and I really love what I see. :happyberet:

Pray tell, how is the flow and lubrication?

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hello Signum, et al,

I have never been a big brown buff; however, I am visualizing this ink on my ivory letterhead and I really love what I see. :happyberet:

Pray tell, how is the flow and lubrication?

All the best,

Sean,

I like this ink very much and I use it daily. I have found it a bit drier than most Noodler's inks in terms of flow and its lubricity is fairly good - not so much that it affects feedback and not so little that it is like writing with chalk. All-around good properties and I have noticed that it dries on the page in the blink of an eye, making it a good choice for southpaws and for writing on smooth/coated papers. I have encountered no bleed-through or feathering problems on papers of even marginal quality. Nice, tight lines . . .

You might need to 'bump' the nib to get it started if you leave your pen uncapped for any length of time - it really does dry quickly!

Cheers!

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

Hello JLT,

Thanks for the dope; I think I'll have to add to the list. ;)

All the best,

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I've recently received some and love it .... contrary to some other eperience, I find it improves the flow of one of my drier pens.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I've recently received some and love it .... contrary to some other eperience, I find it improves the flow of one of my drier pens.

Entirely possible . . . Could be my Sheaffer Triumph and not the ink.

Edited for an update: I noticed that the nib in the aforementioned Sheaffer was fouled with some fibers (that @#!* paper we have at the office!). Removal of the obstruction has noticeably improved the flow. I should know better than to go with a single data point . . . :headsmack:

Edited by JLT

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)