How To Open An Ink Bottle

Edyzza

Okay, just recently, my sister's boyfriend gave me a fountain pen set with two ink bottles. The bottles are both made of glass and the top is surrounded by some plastic/glass cap that has to a cork inside the bottle.( I'm not sure if the cork is attached to the cap) How to do I open the bottles? I've read some other forums that have people saying to put the ink bottle under hot water for a few minutes. I haven't tried this method yet, since this method is usually for the lids that screw on, but can this method also work on glass ink bottles?

When your writing a story, don't ever quit writing. Finish your story until the end.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Edyzza

• wallylynn

• mirosc

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures would help. Someone might have the same set.

Right now I'm guessing to just twist while pulling, similar to a wine/champagne bottle. Don't do that in mid-air. Set the bottle down on a stable surface (table, counter). It came as a set, there shouldn't be any special techniques.

Welcome to FPN!

Maybe there's a special corkscrew just for inks ;)

Mike http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/GlassofWine.gif

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I was going to be a wise guy and say, "Shake it up real hard, turn it upside down and PULL!" but I see it's your first post. So, I've been kind and let you know I can be a wise acre sometimes....

Corks don't usually need to be put under water. I imagine that if you can grab hold of a little bit of the top, even just the edge with a pliers opened to the wide setting, you can gently rock it back and forth to set it free. Don't turn it upside down while in the attempt, though! :-)

Edited by dnb

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

I just put an ice cube on top of the cap...and let it melt...shrinks the cork. Twist gently... right and then left...until it loosens. Hot H2O only causes the cork to expand...making extraction more difficult. Never use pliers 'cus it will crack the cap. It happens a lot. If you heat up the cap, there is a good chance the cork will separate from the glass / plastic , whatever cap.Then you're sc----d!

Edited by SnowLeopard

The fountain pen set is from Cavallini & Co.

file:///C:/Users/edith/Rhea%27s%20Folder/IMG_2447.JPG

file:///C:/Users/edith/Rhea%27s%20Folder/IMG_2455.JPG

file:///C:/Users/edith/Rhea%27s%20Folder/IMG_2454.JPG

I hope you can see the pictures. If you can I'm sorry about the quality, it was because of the flash.

Edited by Edyzza

When your writing a story, don't ever quit writing. Finish your story until the end.

I am sorry but we can't see those images because they are on your local computer.

Is it something that looks like THIS?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7xfXSKJKv6U/TK6-giRMHMI/AAAAAAAACTw/4jzOJOD2B1Q/s1600/02+1670+Ink+Bottle.jpg

Bottles of this kind are sealed with WAX. The only way to open them is either with fire or brute force. Grab the cork and twist it until the wax breaks. Or melt it off with a candle or something.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Har, har, that's a good suggestion. Just don't ask him first if he has an original bottle with the waxed lid, or the successor made out of plastic.

Mike :roflmho:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)