Pilot 78G Converter

Sirvinya

Just treated myself to a second Pilot 78G from ebay, but I can't figure out which converter to get. I'm not a fan of the filling system that comes with it, I like seeing how much ink is left.

Does anyone know if this the converter to use? http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?id=10171

Currently using:

-TWSBI 530 Diamond Pink (F nib) - Diamine Teal

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sirvinya

• Chthulhu

• Number3124

• Nonsensical

Both the con-50 and con-20 will fit. You might want to try both.

CON-20 is the one that comes with the Pilot 78G, and the OP wanted to be able to see the ink level. The CON-20 is black, and you can't see the ink level, at all.

I've been tempted to get some CON-50s for our 78Gs, but I read a lot of folks don't like them and prefer the CON-20 over the CON-50.

Edited by Black Rose

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

• 1 month later...

I've been tempted to get some CON-50s for our 78Gs, but I read a lot of folks don't like them and prefer the CON-20 over the CON-50.

I have three 78Gs with the CON-20 converter and they work surprisingly well for what it's worth. :thumbup:

Insanabile Scribendi Cacoethes

The ink capacity of the Con-20 is much better than the capacity of the Con-50 but the Con-50 does let you see how much ink is left. I've never had any problems with either.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

I've thought about that a little actually. I'm no huge face of aerometric fillers either. I wonder if the 78G could be frankenpenned into something more interesting... :hmm1:

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.

Just treated myself to a second Pilot 78G from ebay, but I can't figure out which converter to get. I'm not a fan of the filling system that comes with it, I like seeing how much ink is left.

Does anyone know if this the converter to use? http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?id=10171

i don't see an eye dropper as a solution for the OP.

the con-50, which i don't like, is a much better choice... i do like the con-20.

Yes. The eyedropper conversion still wouldn't let the OP see how much ink is left. Although, an eyedropper 78G would have a massive ink capacity. I wonder if there are any piston converters that would fit a 78G?

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.

I ended up buying a couple of the CON-50 converters and some cartridges. I'm refilling the carts as well, you can get 1ml of ink on those which does me fine.

Currently using:

-TWSBI 530 Diamond Pink (F nib) - Diamine Teal

Hi folks and can you educate me as to this converter ?

I have a Pilot 78G, it's my 1st fountain pen and it has a sack inside a squeeze thingie.

I have had it about a week, I love it as it is and was wondering what this converter does and why you wanted to change.

thanks,

Edited by Hex

Hex, aka George

I have a Pilot 78G, it's my 1st fountain pen and it has a sack inside a squeeze thingie.

I have had it about a week, I love it as it is and was wondering what this converter does and why you wanted to change.

thanks,

The "sack inside a squeeze thingie" is a converter. It lets you fill your pen from a bottle instead of using cartridges. (Which are much more expensive over time - and you have a much more limited choice of colours.)

The OP prefers being able to see how full the converter is. I like a view of the remaining ink supply as well - but if I can't see it without unscrewing the section from the barrel, it is too inconvenient to bother. So I prefer the converter you have, which came with the 78G, because it holds more ink than the other option. And it seems to work well. I haven't tried one of the others, since the lower ink capacity is a deal killer for me, but I'd hesitate as well since the converter in the 78G is perhaps the only converter I've ever found from any manufacturer that works well enough to suit me.

So, if you're happy with your converter as it is, then there's no reason for you to consider changing. :)

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

thanks,

Hex, Pilot has three different converters available, of which two will fit the 78G: the CON-20 squeeze filler, which is approximately what come in the pen, and the CON-50 piston converter. You already know how the squeeze filler works; the piston type has a stem at the back end which is twisted to move a small piston up and down inside a plastic tube and draw ink into the tube. It doesn't hold as much ink as the squeeze type does.

There is a third converter, the CON-70, which I understand is physically too large to fit inside the 78G, and operates with a pumping action from pressing and releasing a button at the end. It seems to have a larger capacity than either of the other converters.

There is also the eyedropper option, wherein you remove the converter, apply a bit of silicone grease to seal the threads that go into the barrel, fill the barrel with ink, and screw the pen back together. This gives you a subsantially larger amount of ink to use between refills. It will work on pretty much any screwed-together, non-metal-barreled fountain pen whose barrel is liquid-tight.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

I have three 78Gs with the CON-20 converter and they work surprisingly well for what it's worth. :thumbup:

Oh I know...we have seven 78Gs (they seem to have some rabbit DNA :)), all came with CON-20 converters and they do work well.

Currently trying one of them out with a cartridge as a way to see how much ink it there is.

Will be great for refilling with a syringe.

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

I have several 78Gs. Have con-20, con-50 and cartridges. I like cartridges refilled with a syringe more . The disadvantage of con-20 is not being transparent. Ink in con-50 sticks to the walls and does not flow freely, you have to shake it fro time to time. Ink flows freely in cartridge and you can see what is going on inside.

Edited by adallak

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)