The Beauty Of A Great Flexible Nib

Mauricio

As a big lover of flexible nibs, I am in complete awe with a particular nib from a vintage fountain pen in my personal collection. This pen has been in my rotation for the last 5 weeks ... and still cannot get enough of it. I love the pen, the nib, and the final writing product with this ink.

The pen is a vintage Waterman 92 in marbled red and bronze celluloid with gold trim. It has its matching pencil and box. The celluloid in the fountain pen has darkened a little while the pencil has seen very little use and look almost like new. Made in Canada in the 1930s. The nib is a Canadian 14K Waterman Ideal #2 nib. At plain sight, this nib may look like a standard Waterman nib. However, when put into action this nib has very unique and wonderful characteristics. It is an ultra flexible nib, a "wet noodle" nib capable of writing a medium to triple broad line. What I like the most is that this nib writes and performs just like a regular nib when not flexed. It allows writing at any speed ... and done with the ultimate smoothness found in the best nibs in the marketplace. Want to have a little writing fun? Just slow down the writing speed a little and enjoy some flair in thw finished writing work, displaying some thin and thin lines. Want to have lots of fun? Slow down and flex it. Yes, flex it, this nib is made for that ... and enjoy huge line variation ... pure writing fun :cloud9:

For those of you who believe that all flexible nibs can only be used for very slow writing, that assumption is incorrect ... and very far from the truth. There are a lot of flexible nibs that are very smooth and that have these wonderful capabilities of writng like a normal nib when not flexed and like a flexible nib when pressed. It is like having two pens and nibs in one. These nibs are also more forgiving to both, new and experienced flexy writers. The writing samples below were all made with the same pen/nib. The only difference was the amount of pressure applied to the nib and the speed of writing. So no more thinking that all flexible nibs are only for the professionals or for the experienced flexy writing hand ... or that you always have to write very slow. And bear in mind, the nib in this pen is a wet noodle with maxiumum flexibility on the nib tines. Imagine how much more forgiving will be a nib with less flexibility than a wet noodle!

The ink used in these writing samples is Diamine Sepia and the paper is Rhodia Block 13 with 5x5 mm squares.

The pen set ...

fpn_1307558253__img_4879.jpg

fpn_1307558397__img_4880.jpg

Its amazing marbled red and bronze celluoid colors ...

fpn_1307558447__img_4882.jpg

fpn_1307558488__img_4881.jpg

The nib ...

fpn_1307558599__img_4883.jpg

Writing at a fast speed ... no pressure applied to the nib

fpn_1307558980__img_4890.jpg

Writing at a bit slower than normal speed ... medium pressure applied to the nib

fpn_1307558739__img_4885.jpg

fpn_1307559055__img_4886.jpg

Applying maxiumum pressure to the nib ... the first writing sample done at a very slow speed while the second done at a bit slower than normal writing speed

fpn_1307559298__img_4887-1.jpg

fpn_1307559340__img_4889.jpg

Another interesting observation is that very flexible nibs will also lay quite a bit of ink on paper when pressed harder and written at a slower speed. These two actions will, in turn, create a wider ink shading range. If you use light ink colors, you will enjoy from a light to a very dark color all in the same letter and word. In the following two pictures, please notice how much darker the writing can be by applying different levels of pressure.

fpn_1307558980__img_4890.jpg

And what happens when you flex a wet noodle nib to its maximum capabilities and use different speeds of writing? The amount of ink layed on paper will vary. The first sample was done writing at a very low speed creating more ink saturation and leaving a darker color finish while the second at halfways between very slow and normal writing speed, laying the normal amount of ink and leaving the normal color hues of this ink.

fpn_1307559340__img_4889.jpg

Happy Flexy Writings!!!

Edited by Mauricio

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mauricio

• Bo Bo Olson

• Julio

• ticoun

Lovely pen & handwriting, heck of a find! Thanks for the envy looksee

(drooly emoticon)

:sick: Envy springs out sticking it's six inch claws into my back.

I am very, very happy for you that you spent your time wisely developing a very nice hand too.

For all that work, you deserve that wonderful nib. :thumbup:

Pretty pen too.

Have you tried finger polishing semi-chrome and felt cloth buffing on it?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I love Diamine Sepia it looks great when used with a flexible nib and the shading is absolutely amazing I was using it in my Pilot Falcon until Monday just passed. the shading looks ok in the images but it looks so much better on the page in front of you :)

The Falcon is now loaded with a black pilot ink cartridge to test the theory put forward by some others that railroading is less of an issue when pilot ink carts are used.

"I like clear pens an' I cannot lie"

Want to Trade: None at the moment (06/06/2012)

It's writing samples like those that get me to spend more than I should on a pen with a flexxy nib. :notworthy1:

I know I have wet noodles, but I have yet to master good writing with them. :mellow:

I need to get one of those...Darn! "Honey, can I get..." :)

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Seeing that handwriting and what can be achieved from a good flex nib makes me want to get my hands on one and practice, practice practice.!!

Whats a good felx nib for me to start off with that would be reasonably available for online purchase ?

Noodlers flex piston fill or something else ?????

Logzy,

I would recommend looking at vintage Swan Mabie Todd pens. Some of the restored ones will be pricier, but they are usually pretty affordable anyway, and I have had lots of success with them!

I should add many vintage Waterman pens are also wonderful, the 52' model seems most widely available online.

If you want flow to keep up with a close to normal writing speed I would advise against the Noodler's flex pen, at least with its current feed. It is still a nice pen, especially for someone new to flex pens, but it requires a slower writing speed to avoid "railroading".

Many will advise against going for a "Super Flex" or "Wet Noodle", at first going for a "Medium Flex" or "Semi-Flex" nib, and getting familiar with flexibility and controlling your hand. But to be honest I ignored this advice in my search for a Wet Noodle and I have been just fine. The only nib I ever sprung was an 18k (not made to flex like a 14k nib can be) and it was not truly even a "Semi-Flex" nib.

Muaricio,

Thank you for the awesome post and wonderful pictures, you have a very nice collection of vintage flex pens! :notworthy1:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

Okay, so tell me where one might find a true wet noodle, such as you have demonstrated here. So many people advertise them, but many are truly not wet noodles. I did purchase a Waterman 52v for more than I should have paid for it. I consider it a semi-flex at best. My ultimate dream would be to have a true wet noodle on an eyedropper pen, for maximum ink flow and longevity between fillings.

An amazing nib, yes, but it comes to life in the hands of an artist. Thank you!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

First realize you are going to have to work ... learn how to use a full flex or wet noodle. It will take time.

One of the reasons to go up the ladder, is to prevent some noobie from ruining a irreplaceable nib by trying to make it do the splits it was not designed for and springing the nib through being Ham Fisted.

Modern some what stiff big blobbed nibs promote Ham Fistedness.

With some experience that is avoided...with semi-flex a ham fisted writer can write, getting a bit of flare to his writing.

( A regular flex nib under hard pressure will spread it's tines 3X from a light down stroke.)

Semi-flex requires half the pressure of a regular flex nib to spread three times....and one should not press his nib all the time even that can be sprung by someone looking to make it write like a wet noodle....it spreads 3X the light down stroke.

A Somewhat flexible/'flexi' nib can be written with by a slightly ham fisted writer. :embarrassed_smile: Who if he's done the basic stiff italic nib calligraphy can perhaps add a couple of the basic strokes from calligraphy and spiff up his writing a tad. It spreads 3X with half the pressure of a semi-flex nib.

With half that pressure the Easy Full Flex spreads 4-5 X the light down stroke.

An Easy...Full Flex...(which Noodlers is not...it is often a nail...something for folks that lift benches.) can be written with, with a light hand, and if one has a hand from calligraphy can add some six basic strokes to his writing with out getting heavy into copperplate and Spencerian. (Stiff Italic calligraphy ... is for a stiff Italic nib, but there are basic strokes that need to be learned. As a 'noobie' with Full Flex I find it's a completely different style.

By here if you can do a bit of stiff Italic calligraphy, you then have the hand to make it write well. It is not italic calligraphy, but your hand has been trained to do what you want it to do, so learning this style will be easier.

Wet Noodle...well I have one...but don't got the hand for it.

I have some 20 dip pens with easy full flex and wet noodles and a couple of weak kneed wet noodles. Dip pens is good because if you ruin a nib it's still 'cheap'. You can get a lot of dip pen nibs at affordable prices, and if you screw up it's not $$$ and a six month wait for the repair of a more expensive pen. :headsmack:

Got to find some time....I think I say that every time I write this rant.

A major fallacy from what I read from the expert folks with a hand, is they are interested in how fast the nib returns to a narrow line, and not how wide it can be spread.

I was under the impression a sprung full flex or wet noodle nib could not be repaired to as good as new. Richard told me I was wrong. Bring $$$.

I do suggest reading his article on how very, easy it is to spring a full flex or wet noodle.

That is why I suggest going from semi-flex, somewhat flexible/'flexi' ( I love those two.) and then on to Easy Full Flex and finally the Wet Noodle and the Weak Kneed Wet Noodle.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

This pen landed in the hands of exactly the right person who knows how to demonstrate its best attributes! Thanks for sharing the content and another of your gorgeous writing samples. I smile whenever I see one of yours. Best!

A gorgeous pen indeed.

It's one thing to possess a flex nib, quite another to produce such lovely penmanship.

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

Very nice handwriting.

I didn't know Diamine Sepia was so appealing :eureka:

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Thanks to everyone for those very kind comments :embarrassed_smile:

For those of you wanting to have great penmanship, it only takes determination and a little practice everyday (and at times you are not in a hurry). Before you know, you have built your basic skills of holding the pen properly, proper letter formation, proper slanting of the letters, etc. I was taught the Palmer Method for about 10 years in school. However, college and the business world forced me to write as fast as I could, ruining my penmanship in its entirety. I was writing so inappropritely (with ball points) that a callous formed in my middle finger from applying too much pressure to hold the pen. My penmanship was so awful that I did not write in cursive for about 10 years. It was only after I became passionate with fountain pens that I went back to the roots of penmanship learned as a young kid. Fountain pens forced me to relearn to hold the pen properly, to slow down when writing, to proper letter formation, letter slanting, etc. It was not hard because the main motivator was to "test and play" with different pens, nibs, inks, papers, etc, and I did this while at home ... when I was not in a hurry to get anything done. All I wanted was to play and have fun with my fountain pens ... and what a better excuse to put our beloved fountain pens to good use than to improve our penmanship. In a matter of two or three months, my penmanship had improved tremendously. I was hooked into fountain pens and good penmanship. It was so contagious that I started creating my own flourishes and embelishments to the Palmer Method. Up to this date, I continue doing the same, "playing with pens while improving my penmanship" ... It is indeed VERY REWARDING HOBBY and A TON OF FUN! :wub:

For those of you wanting to start learning to use a flexible nib, there are many different pen options out there in the marketplace, from inexpensive dip pens/nib, the very affordable Noodler's flex nib and all the way to very valuable and highly collectable pens and nibs. Price should not be a deterrant. At least try to find something that has a smooth nib and proper ink flow. That will help you tremendously. When I first started using flexible nibs, I did not even know flex nibs existed or that a couple of my own fountain pens were already fitted with flex nibs. A couple of pens had nibs that acted "strange" as the lines would get wider with different pressure applied. Some of those nibs were scratchy and had improper ink flow, making matters more complicated for myself, a true beginnner. I became very intrigued if those "strange" nibs were used to create all the different types of gorgeous calligraphy styles displayed in the vintage books at the IAMPETH website ... that's is exactly how my quest into the wonderful world of flexible nibs started. I did not have a guide or a mentor. There was (and still is) very little good information available in the internet about flexible nibs. I bought a lot of pens and figured it out myself. The last thing I have been doing for the last 18 months is totally disassembling those pens, getting them fully serviced and come up with with ways to enhance ink flow during all types of flexible writing demands. This makes me appreciate even more a pen and nib with phenomal writing performance. It is fascinating ... and I am always learning new things. Fountain pens are very addictive, but once you get the basics of handling a flexible nib (which believe me, IT IS NOT HARD), you are hooked. I still write with regular nibs. Love those Parker 51s, Pelikan Souverans, Auroras and a lot of vintage pens with firm nibs ... or sometimes, just using one pen with a flexible nib, but one with a flexible nib capable to writing at any speed when not flexed, just like the one displayed in this thread.

Thanks again to everyone. Now, if you want to see some REAL penmanship, please see the posts from Caliken, Ann Finley, Antoniosz, LeighR, tipstricks, and many others in thsi forum.

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

Mauricio: Between you and Bo Bo Olson we have such an ample resouce about flex nib information. Gracias por compartir.

the pen and your handwriting are both true beauties. it's always nice to see a good flex nibbed pen in the hands of someone with nice penmanship abilities.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Thanks to everyone for those very kind comments :embarrassed_smile:

For those of you wanting to have great penmanship, it only takes determination and a little practice everyday (and at times you are not in a hurry). Before you know, you have built your basic skills of holding the pen properly, proper letter formation, proper slanting of the letters, etc. I was taught the Palmer Method for about 10 years in school. However, college and the business world forced me to write as fast as I could, ruining my penmanship in its entirety. I was writing so inappropritely (with ball points) that a callous formed in my middle finger from applying too much pressure to hold the pen. My penmanship was so awful that I did not write in cursive for about 10 years. It was only after I became passionate with fountain pens that I went back to the roots of penmanship learned as a young kid. Fountain pens forced me to relearn to hold the pen properly, to slow down when writing, to proper letter formation, letter slanting, etc. It was not hard because the main motivator was to "test and play" with different pens, nibs, inks, papers, etc, and I did this while at home ... when I was not in a hurry to get anything done. All I wanted was to play and have fun with my fountain pens ... and what a better excuse to put our beloved fountain pens to good use than to improve our penmanship. In a matter of two or three months, my penmanship had improved tremendously. I was hooked into fountain pens and good penmanship. It was so contagious that I started creating my own flourishes and embelishments to the Palmer Method. Up to this date, I continue doing the same, "playing with pens while improving my penmanship" ... It is indeed VERY REWARDING HOBBY and A TON OF FUN! :wub:

For those of you wanting to start learning to use a flexible nib, there are many different pen options out there in the marketplace, from inexpensive dip pens/nib, the very affordable Noodler's flex nib and all the way to very valuable and highly collectable pens and nibs. Price should not be a deterrant. At least try to find something that has a smooth nib and proper ink flow. That will help you tremendously. When I first started using flexible nibs, I did not even know flex nibs existed or that a couple of my own fountain pens were already fitted with flex nibs. A couple of pens had nibs that acted "strange" as the lines would get wider with different pressure applied. Some of those nibs were scratchy and had improper ink flow, making matters more complicated for myself, a true beginnner. I became very intrigued if those "strange" nibs were used to create all the different types of gorgeous calligraphy styles displayed in the vintage books at the IAMPETH website ... that's is exactly how my quest into the wonderful world of flexible nibs started. I did not have a guide or a mentor. There was (and still is) very little good information available in the internet about flexible nibs. I bought a lot of pens and figured it out myself. The last thing I have been doing for the last 18 months is totally disassembling those pens, getting them fully serviced and come up with with ways to enhance ink flow during all types of flexible writing demands. This makes me appreciate even more a pen and nib with phenomal writing performance. It is fascinating ... and I am always learning new things. Fountain pens are very addictive, but once you get the basics of handling a flexible nib (which believe me, IT IS NOT HARD), you are hooked. I still write with regular nibs. Love those Parker 51s, Pelikan Souverans, Auroras and a lot of vintage pens with firm nibs ... or sometimes, just using one pen with a flexible nib, but one with a flexible nib capable to writing at any speed when not flexed, just like the one displayed in this thread.

Thanks again to everyone. Now, if you want to see some REAL penmanship, please see the posts from Caliken, Ann Finley, Antoniosz, LeighR, tipstricks, and many others in thsi forum.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and motivation. I'm still happy with my 51 Demi that I bought from you and hope to make a purchase from you when it's time to get a flex nib pen. Until then, I have my trusty Noodler's Creeper to keep me entertained.

Nino

Very nice pen and nice nib :thumbup: but the problem for me with waterman vintage pens is that the most are fitted with lever fillers and I don't like lever fillers at all.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time