Is The Chopin (145) Now Called The Classique?

Joane

I know that the 144 Classique has been phased out and replaced by the slightly larger 145 Chopin. However, I am now seeing the 145 being referred to as the Classique. I've noticed it on some pen merchant websites and the Chopin model no longer comes up on the MB website. As well, the new white MB is called Classique size and in the store where I saw it, it looked like the same size as the 145. So does this mean the Chopin designation been quietly replaced by Classique? Has anyone seen any official information on this?

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penparadise

• Joane

• Brookzy

• 13easti

I know that the 144 Classique has been phased out and replaced by the slightly larger 145 Chopin. However, I am now seeing the 145 being referred to as the Classique. I've noticed it on some pen merchant websites and the Chopin model no longer comes up on the MB website. As well, the new white MB is called Classique size and in the store where I saw it, it looked like the same size as the 145. So does this mean the Chopin designation been quietly replaced by Classique? Has anyone seen any official information on this?

The Classique has not been phased out, there are many lines, (as you point out including the Montblanc tribute to the Mont Blanc (what a name!)) still made in the Classique. They are still in the resin models, and the fairly recent Montblanc Diamond is in a Classique size.

I think the Chopin was a special edition, but if this was the case, you would expect the tiny Mozart to be as well.

I thought the new white MB looked larger than the Classique too, maybe it has a thicker white overlay?

MB Starwalker Black Resin BP • MB Starwalker Black Mystery RB • MB Starwalker Black Mystery FP (M)

MB Meisterstück Diamond Classique FP (M) • MB Starwalker 100 Years SE FP (M)

MB John Lennon FP (M) • MB Meisterstück Geometric Dimension FP (BB)

MB Carlo Collodi WE FP (M)

Design is not just what it looks and feels like. Design is how it works! — Steve Jobs

• 3 weeks later...

I too am a little confused by this.

I have a pen and I'm not sure whether it's a Chopin or a Classique (if you follow the links, they are both on the MB website, but have differing model no.s: 01518 and 106514, respectively).

Any guidance much appreciated.

Montblanc Meisterstück Classique is the line and not a special model. The rollerball 163, ballpoint pen 164, pencil 165 and fineliner 168 are part of the Montblanc Classique line as well as the fountain pens 144 and 145 (which formerly was and still is known as H.a.F.Chopin).

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Joane is right. Montblanc 144 Classique Fountain Pen has been replaced by the slightly larger 145 Chopin, it was sold with a CD. I spoke to Sarah Gambi, Customer Service Montblanc, LMDM Pty Ltd Australia. According to her, since 145 is not longer sold with a CD, the Chopin name is slowly being abandoned for the classique, so it matches his brothers (ball point, roller ball and mechanical pencil are all classique). Besides the size, the 145 classique fountain pen has screw on cap (the old 144 classique fountain pen has push in cap).

Sarah also said that the new white collection is called "Tribute to the Mont Blanc" but is the same size as the classique.

I too am a little confused by this.

I have a pen and I'm not sure whether it's a Chopin or a Classique (if you follow the links, they are both on the MB website, but have differing model no.s: 01518 and 106514, respectively).

Any guidance much appreciated.

I think your 'Chopin' link shown above is an old link. Using the link, if you click onto the ballpoint or other writing system it will describe it as a 'Classique'. Click back onto the fountain pen, you will come back with an error message. Curiously, this link shows two Montblanc Classique pencils!

I agree with mir8, it would appear that the Chopin name is being /has been abandoned by Montblanc.

• 4 years later...

Other question:

Are the nib sizes the same? 144 nib can be used in the 145?

I have a "UNICEF" 145 (classique) with a M nib, but I hate it! I rather have a F or EF on it. Other thing, it has lots of dry starts. I've already have it "fixed", but sometimes It goes dry in the beginning of the writing. Would love to have it changed.