Desk Set

teej47

Saturday I picked up a desk set (my second overall and first one that's an Estie, oddly enough) and realized while cleaning it up that it was a model I hadn't seen before (or noticed, anyway). Black rectangular base with a swiveling metal sheathed socket. I looked today and the same one is on eBay (auction # 350369978540). I paid $7.00 for mine.

I went looking for it on esterbrook.net but it's not there. Can anybody tell me anything about this model? My guess is that it post dates the "8-Ball" desk pen, but that's just guessing.

Tim

The only sense that's common is nonsense...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teej47

• tmenyc

• Readymade

• jbelian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neither is it mentioned in the "Esterbrook Illustrated Catalog" of 38/39 which Paul Hoban publishes in his book, where the 8 ball sets are present. So your guess seems correct to me.

Would be nice to hear something about this set from somebody more knowledgeable than I!

post-44619-0-02295400-1300169467.jpg

swisspenpal

PEndemonium pictures a set #2111 here:

http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_esterbrook_gallery.htm

Not quite the same as the one on Pendemonium is round instead of square, but it's close. No info there about age, etc. I've asked a couple "how old is this desk set" questions and they go largely unanswered, so I think the desk sets are kind of mysterious, or else people just don't like to answer questions about them! lol

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

Interesting. There was another one on eBay that has an oval base. It's in the original box marked "Model 2112". I suppose it's safe to speculate that mine is probably Model 21-something-or-other (2110?, 2113?). It seems to me to have kind of a late '50s early '60s look to it, but again that's speculating.

Tim

Tim,

I have one of those as well, and love it. This is the first time I've seen a model number for it, though. Mine is also the squarish one.

And, if the picture in your avatar is you, this board has two bearded, spectacled Tims...one on each coast! My hat isn't as nice as yours, though.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I am fond of my gray flat cap... kinda matches my head I guess. I should go by "Gray Ghost" or some such thing.

My desk pen came to work with me today and is now sporting my current favorite signature nib, a 2788 (an old one with a flat feed, too... which makes it even cooler). Happy me!

So what nib is in yours, Tim?

Tim

Tim,

2442, smooth and wet. Love it.

Tim

Tim

Hi -- I'm new here. I've been collecting Esterbrooks to at least some extent since about 1970, when I was 10 and first consciously noticed my grandmother's 116 "8-ball" base with a copper WT pen (which Brian Anderson pictures on his Dip-Less Pen page to compare to the Dip-Less pen models X (XT) and XX (XXT). After about five years of moving too often and lacking appropriate display space, I've finally dug my boxes out to take inventory and think about how best to display what I own. I've realized that although my pen collection is OK (lots of Js, big surprise), I actually have a pretty decent collection of desk sets and bases. I have less information than desk sets, unfortunately, but I hope to put together some of what I do have soon, along with photos to share with the forum.

All that to say that while I don't know, I do believe this style of desk base post-dates the 8-ball. I personally own a black 2112 (oval) and a round blue set with matching WT pen (don't think it has the model number on bottom, but I will check when taking photos) that are in this same "design line." My rationale (such as it is) is that the flat base with silver swivel holder seems simply more "modern" while the 8-ball model echoes the ink-well-ish styling of the 114, while those that are flat with a swivel holder seem to have finally abandoned all pretense of the base being anything other than a place to stick the fountain (or later, ball-point) pen. Also, the colors achieved in the flat desk holders were much brighter and cleaner than the colors of the 8-balls, although I suppose some of that is the preferences and styles of the era. When I find a bit of time (or am avoiding other work), I'll see whether I can find some documentary evidence, such as a print ad, that will clarify the dating.

My personal favorite is the 444, although I also very much like the 407. In the 444 line, I have a couple of blacks (one in the original boxed set), a green, and a maroon. I also have two unusual ones -- a bakelite version with matching pen that may have been meant to imitate ivory, and one that is inset into a square piece of marble, similar to one called a "Carrara" desk set in an ad in the Dec. 13, 1954 issue of Life. I have two regular 407s, one 407 with a chain (I think it actually has a different model number, which I'm forgetting at the moment) and also a 427 (the double 407, an accounting desk set with one pen having a red taper and the other clear), and then I have several 116s, including two black (one still in original box with original labels and tissue wrapping) and one brown (or muddy maroon, not a clear color either way).

I would agree that almost no one has really collected a substantial volume of research on the desk sets. Maybe we can correct that!

Julia

J,

welcome to the den of iniquity! That's some first post...and it sounds like quite a collection. Yes, I agree that there are at least a few people here who would love to see your pictures. I, for one, simply don't have the surface area for more desksets, so rotate two at home and keep my double 444 in steady use at work.

best,

Tim

Tim

Tim,

2442, smooth and wet. Love it.

Tim

Oo! I love stubs! I'm carrying my little blue SJ with 9314-F today. 9314 B or M and 9284 are my dream nibs, but I love the classic Jackson Stub shape of the 2442. Hopefully I'll stumble across all four of 'em eventually.

Tim

Hi -- I'm new here. I've been collecting Esterbrooks to at least some extent since about 1970, when I was 10 and first consciously noticed my grandmother's 116 "8-ball" base with a copper WT pen (which Brian Anderson pictures on his Dip-Less Pen page to compare to the Dip-Less pen models X (XT) and XX (XXT). After about five years of moving too often and lacking appropriate display space, I've finally dug my boxes out to take inventory and think about how best to display what I own. I've realized that although my pen collection is OK (lots of Js, big surprise), I actually have a pretty decent collection of desk sets and bases. I have less information than desk sets, unfortunately, but I hope to put together some of what I do have soon, along with photos to share with the forum.

All that to say that while I don't know, I do believe this style of desk base post-dates the 8-ball. I personally own a black 2112 (oval) and a round blue set with matching WT pen (don't think it has the model number on bottom, but I will check when taking photos) that are in this same "design line." My rationale (such as it is) is that the flat base with silver swivel holder seems simply more "modern" while the 8-ball model echoes the ink-well-ish styling of the 114, while those that are flat with a swivel holder seem to have finally abandoned all pretense of the base being anything other than a place to stick the fountain (or later, ball-point) pen. Also, the colors achieved in the flat desk holders were much brighter and cleaner than the colors of the 8-balls, although I suppose some of that is the preferences and styles of the era. When I find a bit of time (or am avoiding other work), I'll see whether I can find some documentary evidence, such as a print ad, that will clarify the dating.

My personal favorite is the 444, although I also very much like the 407. In the 444 line, I have a couple of blacks (one in the original boxed set), a green, and a maroon. I also have two unusual ones -- a bakelite version with matching pen that may have been meant to imitate ivory, and one that is inset into a square piece of marble, similar to one called a "Carrara" desk set in an ad in the Dec. 13, 1954 issue of Life. I have two regular 407s, one 407 with a chain (I think it actually has a different model number, which I'm forgetting at the moment) and also a 427 (the double 407, an accounting desk set with one pen having a red taper and the other clear), and then I have several 116s, including two black (one still in original box with original labels and tissue wrapping) and one brown (or muddy maroon, not a clear color either way).

I would agree that almost no one has really collected a substantial volume of research on the desk sets. Maybe we can correct that!

Julia

I think the 444 in the black glass or marble base is what Brian Anderson identified as a 4440 (can't find my email). I think you are talking about the set which is pictured in my avatar.

Brain identified my set in another thread. It's a Model 2110.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

My 2 Esterbrook Desk sets here -

fpn_1302865198__edesksets.jpg

From left: a 116L and a 2140 :)

Edited by Readymade
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

Decided I have a little time to post a couple of photos -- which are not as well-focused as I'd like, but they'll give you an idea. One is a more or less standard 444, but the material, rather than glass, is something like Bakelite, in an ivory color. The pen taper is the same material, but has darkened more over the years than the base has. The other is a 444 in the Carrara stone, with a standard XT pen.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5222/5640744120_e569365bf3_m.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5186/5640172493_69526abb95_m.jpg

• 2 months later...

The one on the right is an Esterbrook Executive Dip-Less desk pen set. From the picture it looks like a Model DS-4430 Single (Onyx). (There us a double version, Model 4830, as well.) I have a copy of a 1952 Esterbrook catalog that shows them.

Cheers, Rob