The Best Of The Worst

corniche

Greetings all,

Back in the late ‘80s there was a short-lived television series entitled, “The Best of the Worst,” which focused on all things bad, but primarily on strange game shows from overseas. To make a play on the words from the title of this long forgotten program; what is/was the best and the worst fountain pen you ever owned?

My best is a Parker 51 Aerometric which I use daily.

My worst was a Reform 1745 which had a very scratchy nib and skipped all the time- no matter what ink I put in it or how hard I tried to adjust the nib.

Pray tell, what are yours?

All the best,

Sean http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/ribbons/black2.gif

Aka, the friendly curmudgeon :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• raffaele

• WanderingAuthor

• Sailor Kenshin

Sean,

That is a very tough question! I have a number of pens I could easily consider my favorite. If I absolutely HAD to choose, I'd probably say my Parker Vacumatic Major. Some close runner-ups that are worthy of mention: Pilot 78G Fine, Sheaffer 330 Fine, Parker 51, Parker 45, Lamy Safari (although I haven't used it much yet, I like it so far).

My least favorite thus far is a Parker Vector. It's uncomfortable to hold, and it skips pretty badly. I'll give it one more chance with a better-flowing ink, and if it doesn't cooperate, I won't be using it again! I'm also not very fond of my Parker Jotter. It's a dry-writer and also uncomfortable to hold.

Derek

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Best - Parker 75 Cisele. It belonged to my Grandfater, and is now in my permanently-inked category, in use daily.

Worst - Calibri MB knock-off that I received as a gift. It never wrote well, the flow was terrible, the cap didn't fit properly and would constantly fall off. All in all just a horrible pen.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

My best is my 149 my worst would probably be my pelikan m150 i dont know whats up with the nib i have two nibs of the same width both identical even under a 10x loupe but for some reason its so scratchy and dry.

I simply cannot identify a favorite pen. I have so many that are all around great pens.

On the other hand, I had a nondescript Chinese pen that was all around bad. It was ungainly to hold, unbalanced and wrote poorly. I would have been better off scratching runes into tree bark with a rusty nail.

Greetings all,

Back in the late ‘80s there was a short-lived television series entitled, “The Best of the Worst,” which focused on all things bad, but primarily on strange game shows from overseas. To make a play on the words from the title of this long forgotten program; what is/was the best and the worst fountain pen you ever owned?

My worst was a Reform 1745 which had a very scratchy nib and skipped all the time- no matter what ink I put in it or how hard I tried to adjust the nib.

All the best,

My best I'd have to think about. A LOT. It might be my Sailor Profit special script, which makes my handwriting look halfway decent.

But I reserve the right to come back in if I get all like :eureka:

My worst? That's EASY. A no-name, dark shiny turquoise fountain pen that I got at an art store for two dollars and which leaked EVERYWHERE.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My best, a Stipula Eturia Volterra Richard Binder worked on for me at the first pen show I attended. Man, does this pen write...wow!

My worst, I'll keep that to myself, I'm sure it was a fluke anyway.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

My best? A blue demo Pelikan M600 John Mottishaw tested before it went out the door to make sure I'd be happy with the nib. Am I ever!!! :D Close runners up: a Pelikan Toledo I bought about 1990 or so, and a handful of Pelikan M250 demos. I expect once I get my 1930s Parker Duofold Deluxe Sr fixed up, it will be in that list; I love it even in its poor, broken state.

My worst? This answer has to have two parts. Not the absolute worst, but the pen I paid the most for with the least satisfaction was a Montblanc 144 CC I got in the late 1980s - early 1990s. I paid $180.00 for that thing new, on the theory it must be a great pen, inked it up once, and disliked it so much I've never touched it since. (I've got to get around to trading that for something I like.) Absolute worst? A tie between a few unbranded pens: several with the generic plastic section and nasty plated steel nib that is sold to some unbranded pen makers, and a chromed steel fp I got a few years ago in Target for about five bucks that was made in China. It had Celtic designs on it and looked cool, but when I got it home, I discovered the factory must have been a slightly retooled manufacturing plant for garden tools. Specifically, spades.... :roflmho: The nib is about half a pound of chunky steel, so dry if you can manage to leave one faint, barely visible eighth inch long mark on the paper you feel a real sense of achievement... (Yes, I did know it was stupid to get a five dollar fountain pen at Target. But it looked so cool, and it was a fountain pen... :embarrassed_smile: )

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

All of the pens I currently have cost less than $20.

Best: I'd have to say it's a tossup between the Pilot 78G M and a Sheaffer NoNonsense F.

Worst: Without a doubt the Zebra V-301. <insert stinking pile of poo emoticon> but these ones will do :bonk: :gaah:

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

Too hard to identify a single best, but by brand, it would be Pelikan.

The worst, meaning the one I really dislike, is a recently purchased Conklin Mark Twain. I would say it feels like a substandard Chinese knock-off, except that would be unfair to substandard Chinese knock-offs.

Hey, I bought two reform 1745s. One is pretty good (for being 5 dollars). The other was utterly terrible. So, like the crazy mad (social) scientist I am I decided to try my hand at nib grinding:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8181/reform.jpg

I mean, theyre so cheap you might as well. I used a spyderco sharpmaker's coarse stones to grind it down (what a terrible noise though lol) and then my bark river strop to smooth it out. if I was back home I would have used a belt sander and really gone to town on it, right now it's not quite as sharp an italic as Id like.

Best is difficult as there are a number of candidates.

Worst is tied between a Dollar piston filler and a Pilot 78G B nib, doth of which were absolutely awful.

The Dollar is long gone. The Pilot has a medium stub ground from a TWSBI Diamond 530 nib and is actually quite nice now. :)

Edited by Malcy

My best? A blue demo Pelikan M600 John Mottishaw tested before it went out the door to make sure I'd be happy with the nib. Am I ever!!! :D Close runners up: a Pelikan Toledo I bought about 1990 or so, and a handful of Pelikan M250 demos. I expect once I get my 1930s Parker Duofold Deluxe Sr fixed up, it will be in that list; I love it even in its poor, broken state.

My worst? This answer has to have two parts. Not the absolute worst, but the pen I paid the most for with the least satisfaction was a Montblanc 144 CC I got in the late 1980s - early 1990s. I paid $180.00 for that thing new, on the theory it must be a great pen, inked it up once, and disliked it so much I've never touched it since. (I've got to get around to trading that for something I like.) Absolute worst? A tie between a few unbranded pens: several with the generic plastic section and nasty plated steel nib that is sold to some unbranded pen makers, and a chromed steel fp I got a few years ago in Target for about five bucks that was made in China. It had Celtic designs on it and looked cool, but when I got it home, I discovered the factory must have been a slightly retooled manufacturing plant for garden tools. Specifically, spades.... :roflmho: The nib is about half a pound of chunky steel, so dry if you can manage to leave one faint, barely visible eighth inch long mark on the paper you feel a real sense of achievement... (Yes, I did know it was stupid to get a five dollar fountain pen at Target. But it looked so cool, and it was a fountain pen... :embarrassed_smile: )

I HAVE that pen. Except it's got red rhinestones instead of Celtic designs.

Never wrote with it. Just bought it as a curiosity. :roflmho:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Greetings all,

Ironic how in some cases, one man's feast is another man's poison. :D Interesting replies- please keep 'em coming.

Greetings redisburning,

I might have tried smoothing out the nib if I could have fixed the pen's terribly dry flow. :(

All the best,

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I HAVE that pen. Except it's got red rhinestones instead of Celtic designs.

Never wrote with it. Just bought it as a curiosity. :roflmho:

You missed an, ummm, ...interesting... experience. I didn't expect it was going to be a great writer; I just wanted to see what it wrote like. The actuality was at least a thousand times more horrible than you can possibly imagine unless you've tried to use one. Now that I think of it, if that had been the first fountain pen I'd ever tried, I'd still be using ballpoints... :sick:

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

the Wandering Author

Greetings all,

All the best,

My current best is my Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe fine, though I get my 1st Mottishaw pen next week, so we'll see. My worst is a Parker Sonnet. It's depressing: such a comfortable pen but it scratches and skips. Is it because I'm a lefty? Because the nib is damaged? I'm too novice to know.

My best fountain pen- it's a toss up. I several that I really like and use on a regular basis, my three Duofolds, my Parker '51', my Waterman Lady Patricia, or any of my Esterbrooks. I can't decide on just one, because they are all wonderful pens. My worst pen- it wasn't really a pen, it was an Esterbrook nib, which I replaced shortly after getting the pen. I can't remember the exact number but it was 199X, ultra fine, very dry and stiff.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

Worst, was my first pen I ever bought once I started buying pens. The first thing I bought on Ebay. A chrome Graduate Waterman pen, a fingerprint trap with a nail nib. That may have been the worst. I sold it for almost the € 5.00 I paid for it.

I'd heard of Waterman....ok.

My Best, two pens...well there was a 4 pen lot, a 400NN with what I thought a semi-flex nib, and some 'ugly' MB that I did not want.

It was just going to drive up the cost of that Pelikan nib.

The '56 set BP &MP I was going to sell.

All I wanted that '56 400NN for was the nib that was to go on my '90 400 Sovereign.

€ 170 for it all.

I was to get €50-60 for each of the BP &MP and could get rid of that MB too...get the nib for free!!!!!!!!

right......the '56 400NN was a friction feed nib.

It was a slightly flexible/'flexi' OF...that is 2/3/4 top nib depending on how I'm feeling.

That 'ugly' MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-55 only) is number one pen, with a semi-flex KOB.

Never sold the BP or MP either...it was a three pen set with etui.

Some times Dumb does get over big time. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The best is Pilot 78G F. Its performance is outstanding. I do not like the cap though. IMHO, it would look better with rounded top. The worst was a Chinese very inexpensive pen, which leaked right out of box. I did not hesitate to throw it out.

Edited by adallak

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

a Chinese very inexpensive pen, which leaked right out of box. I did not hesitate to throw it out.

!!! You are made of sterner stuff than I am. I couldn't bear to throw out any fountain pen, unless it was so badly ruined it was useless even for parts. :roflmho: I even still have the pen I bought in Target...

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

the Wandering Author