Moore Fountain Pen ...

BrianDiPalma

For Christmas, I received a copy of the Marshall and Oldfield "Pen Repair" book. When my Grandmother saw it, she told me that she had something in the safe that might interest me. After digging around a bit, she found this pen. I've had some trouble finding out much information about it and wondered if anybody here could tell me a little bit more about it. I think it's a Moore safety pen made by the American Fountain Pen Company. The patent date is Sept. 8, 1896. According to an engraving on the pen, it was given as a gift to my great-great-great Grandfather in 1916. So, I would assume it was made closer to that date. It will definitely need either a new nib or a re-tipping. Are correct replacement nibs even an option with a pen this old? I'm also wondering if it looks like it would be restorable otherwise. As this is a family heirloom and I'm just starting out learning how to repair fountain pens, I think I'd want to send this pen to a professional to ensure a better chance of a successful repair. The back portion moves freely and the nib retracts / extends without problem. However, there is what appears to be a small crack in the cap-like piece that is used to extend / retract the nib. It could just be a scratch, but I'm assuming it's a crack. Is this crack something that might prevent the pen from being repairable? And does anybody have any additional information about it (i.e. better guess about a date, model, etc.)? I tried to include some photos that could help for these questions, but if more or different ones are needed, then I can try to do that as well. As a family heirloom, it is priceless and I'd never consider selling it. But, just out of curiosity, what might a pen like this one be 'worth?' Thanks for any assistance that can be offered.

*edited for spelling ...

post-41578-0-32958700-1293637351.jpg

post-41578-0-72280700-1293637371.jpg

post-41578-0-44119700-1293637380.jpg

post-41578-0-94613400-1293637388.jpg

post-41578-0-37913500-1293637401.jpg

Edited by BrianDiPalma

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianDiPalma

• MissPatLove

• Freddy

• Fedorov88

From your description you have a safety pen..... the only ones I will trust to do my safety pens are Richard Binder and Ron Zorn...

Safety pens are a real neat part of fountain pen innovation.... and if properly restored they are great pens to use....

I think that either Richard or Ron should not have a problem finding a replacement nib for your pen.

know Richard's work better and it is exemplary. Be prepared to wait for its return. He keeps a rather significant backlog of repairs. Repairing is a slow process. I repair Estie's and they are rather simple compared to your beautiful model.

Best of luck.

Don't let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of yours.

- Unknown -

Nice find! One of my first vintage pens was a late 20s Moore Tuscan that my dad found in our garage. Because of that, I'll always have a soft spot for Moore pens. :)

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I think your pen is lovely. It's a Moore's Non-Leakable Safety Pen, and it was indeed made by the American Fountain Pen Company. The patent date is deceptive, in a way; although Morris W. Moore received his two patents in December of that year, the American Fountain Pen Company wasn't founded until 1899, after its founders Walter F. Cushing and William F. Cushman, had acquired the rights to Moore's design. So manufacture commenced in 1899. But the original design was somewhat different from that of your pen, and 1903 is the year when pens like yours hit the market.

Moore's design was incredibly simple, and it's amazingly reliable. Here are cross-sectional drawings of the pen's workings, taken from my site's page on safety pens:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref/anatomy/safeties/nonleak.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref/anatomy/safeties/nonleak_capped.jpg

To be usable, your pen will almost certainly need its shaft seal replaced (and should have it done even if it's not leaking yet). The original seal (magenta in these drawings) is made of cork, but I replace these seals with O-rings made of Viton®, which is a superior material, designed for sliding-seal applications just like this.

Finding a "correct" nib for your pen shouldn't be too difficult; but if you'd prefer for sentimental reasons to keep the original, that's doable, too. The crack in the sleeve (which is green in my drawings) is not a problem in terms of the pen's workings, and it would be pretty costly to deal with, as it would require removal of the overlay from the existing sleeve, finding or fabrication of a replacement sleeve, and installation of the overlay on the new sleeve.

(Can you guess that I'm angling for the opportunity to put your pen back into service? :))

Edited by Richard

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Congratulations on becoming the proud owner of such a beautiful pen. I own several Moore Safety pens of a vintage comparable to yours but none quite as ornate. All are very nice writers. Those old Moore/American nibs are a joy to write with and the pens just feel good in the hand. One came with the original instruction sheet (including a price list for spare parts and repairs) that I can scan and send to you if you are interested. Maybe you can talk Richard into doing the repairs for the prices on the sheet.

You do have to be careful when capping and uncapping the pen. The nib is retracted before (very important) replacing the cap or you may end up sending it back for another nib repair after the cap bends the tines. Also, never remove the cap unless the nib is pointed skyward. The retracted nib doesn't seal the ink in the barrel and you (and your pen) will produce a mess proportional to the amount of ink in the pen. That last one is the voice of experience. As long as you think every time you touch the cap you are going to love writing with this pen.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Priorities. Have ever so often to do with how large one's wallet is. There those who can do today, what others must do later.

When one thinks what a new modern 'soulless' fountain pen of some class costs, that one must save for, one can realize the difference between cost and value.

When one has a fountain pen with your family's soul in it; it is then not a question of if, but of when, is it not?

It is easy to say in the winter, none needs a coke...so that is the best time not to drink them.

Starbucks is more social than not, one can take a thermos of good home made coffee to work or on one's way and save a fortune....besides which one is not lead into temptation of Brownie heaven. :rolleyes:

This is a diet that is not only good for the body, but for the soul. Pleasure delayed is pleasure multiplied.

Go out a couple of hours later on a Friday or Saturday night, and save a lot of money, and foolishness. One can watch the silly season, rather than be it.

Fully repair the pen. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you to all for the helpful responses. I'd welcome that instruction sheet, Dave, if it isn't too much trouble for you to scan it. I have every intention of getting this pen restored. Unfortunately, being a doctoral student means I don't have the necessary funds to do so at the moment. But as BoBoOlson mentioned, it is not a question of if, but rather when I'll get it restored. When I do, definitely expect to see it come your way, Richard. I'm glad to hear that the crack on the cap-like piece that moves to extend / retract the nib isn't an impediment to getting the pen to write again. And whenever I have the funds to get it restored, I'll have to decide what to do about the nib. I like the idea of keeping this one on there for sentimental reasons, but I definitely need extra-fine nibs for it to really be a usable pen and this nib isn't anywhere near fine enough. But perhaps with a regrind and a retip it could be salvageable. In any event, thanks again for the input.

• 2 years later...

For Christmas, I received a copy of the Marshall and Oldfield "Pen Repair" book. When my Grandmother saw it, she told me that she had something in the safe that might interest me. After digging around a bit, she found this pen. I've had some trouble finding out much information about it and wondered if anybody here could tell me a little bit more about it. I think it's a Moore safety pen made by the American Fountain Pen Company. The patent date is Sept. 8, 1896. According to an engraving on the pen, it was given as a gift to my great-great-great Grandfather in 1916. So, I would assume it was made closer to that date. It will definitely need either a new nib or a re-tipping. Are correct replacement nibs even an option with a pen this old? I'm also wondering if it looks like it would be restorable otherwise. As this is a family heirloom and I'm just starting out learning how to repair fountain pens, I think I'd want to send this pen to a professional to ensure a better chance of a successful repair. The back portion moves freely and the nib retracts / extends without problem. However, there is what appears to be a small crack in the cap-like piece that is used to extend / retract the nib. It could just be a scratch, but I'm assuming it's a crack. Is this crack something that might prevent the pen from being repairable? And does anybody have any additional information about it (i.e. better guess about a date, model, etc.)? I tried to include some photos that could help for these questions, but if more or different ones are needed, then I can try to do that as well. As a family heirloom, it is priceless and I'd never consider selling it. But, just out of curiosity, what might a pen like this one be 'worth?' Thanks for any assistance that can be offered.

*edited for spelling ...

*edited for spelling ...

I too have a Moore Fountain pen with a nib that has American Fountain Pen Co. on it. It doesn't look like yours but it has the same patent date. It is a gold pen with a pattern on it. It comes apart in two pieces. The cylinder retracts. I can't find a pen like it anywhere on the internet. It also has a removable Moore Clip on it. I have had this pen for about 46 years. It was given to me by a friend in the sixth grade. It has been engraved with the name H.H. Cupp. If anyone call help me I would appreciate it. The pen may just be gold plated but the color is not tarnished after 46 years of lying around. Thank You.

As for worth overlay pens like this can sell for $200.00 + on ebay. Sterling overlays for even more- personal observation. But with it being something passed along to you by family it is priceless, I'd love to have my grandfather's '51' vacumatic but it's in my uncle's possession right now.

By the way, great pen. Sent it out, get it fixed and use it. Nibs from that period are simply amazing! thumbup.gif

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

• 6 months later...

Can someone help me. I have a Moore fountain pen. It's a safety pen as well. It's either brass or gold plated. Can someone tell me what it could be worth?

Can someone help me. I have a Moore fountain pen. It's a safety pen as well. It's either brass or gold plated. Can someone tell me what it could be worth?

First Welcome Aboard!..

For your consideration..start at Ross McKinney's site..

http://www.rosspens.com/moorepen.htm

and to David Nishimura's site..re The Moore Pen Company..

http://www.vintagepens.com/Moore_safeties.shtml

Best of luck to you..

Fred

• 8 years later...
On 12/29/2010 at 4:52 PM, Richard said:

I think your pen is lovely. It's a Moore's Non-Leakable Safety Pen, and it was indeed made by the American Fountain Pen Company. The patent date is deceptive, in a way; although Morris W. Moore received his two patents in December of that year, the American Fountain Pen Company wasn't founded until 1899, after its founders Walter F. Cushing and William F. Cushman, had acquired the rights to Moore's design. So manufacture commenced in 1899. But the original design was somewhat different from that of your pen, and 1903 is the year when pens like yours hit the market.

Moore's design was incredibly simple, and it's amazingly reliable. Here are cross-sectional drawings of the pen's workings, taken from my site's page on safety pens:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref/anatomy/safeties/nonleak.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref/anatomy/safeties/nonleak_capped.jpg

To be usable, your pen will almost certainly need its shaft seal replaced (and should have it done even if it's not leaking yet). The original seal (magenta in these drawings) is made of cork, but I replace these seals with O-rings made of Viton®, which is a superior material, designed for sliding-seal applications just like this.

Finding a "correct" nib for your pen shouldn't be too difficult; but if you'd prefer for sentimental reasons to keep the original, that's doable, too. The crack in the sleeve (which is green in my drawings) is not a problem in terms of the pen's workings, and it would be pretty costly to deal with, as it would require removal of the overlay from the existing sleeve, finding or fabrication of a replacement sleeve, and installation of the overlay on the new sleeve.

(Can you guess that I'm angling for the opportunity to put your pen back into service? :))

Hey Richard,

How do you seal off the back of the pen?  Mine leaks slowly and I haven't removed the packing or packing retainers.  I've heard you can use orings and not have to remove the packing and packing retainers.  Also, I heard you can use silicon grease on the back of the shaft between the end of the barrel and the plunger knob. Let me know and PM me.  The cap is fine and no leaks there.  Just the end. Thanks.