Mont Writer's Jules Verne Vs. Montblanc Writers Jules Verne

dusac

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mont-WriterS-Edition-Jules-Verne-Blanc-Fountain-Pen-/120610866251?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mont-Writers-Edition-Jules-Verne-Blanc-Fountain-Pen-/110575313159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mont-Writers-Edition-Jules-Verne-Blanc-Fountain-Pen-/110574923048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

...so I was looking for a Montblanc Writers Edition Jules Verne on eBay... And I found some interesting listings. Mont Writer's (sic) Edition Jules Verne, numbered and signed. Same dome cap, same pen essentially but in black.

The hilarious part is that there are several listings of the same pen, from several sellers (all with minimal to no feedback) but all of them have the same serial number 4873/18500...

The sad part though is that most of the pens have bids on them - 15-20 of them - and all approach a triple-digit sum.

The ugly part is that the listing is on Mont Writer's (sic), but the box is Montblanc...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Brand: Montblanc

Nib: Platinum plated

Writting thickness: 0.5mm

Material: First-class synthetic resin,titanium clip, Platinum plated penholder

In the original box,with the original booklet and the certificate.

The pen is mint and never used. Bright black lacquer over a guilloche of waves.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ianmedium

• dusac

• Trom

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

But there's FREE SHIPPING! What more could you ask for??

OK, I'll put the sarcasm away now... :rolleyes:

It always amazes me to see these sheister deals. And horrifies me to know that they have to be reeling in at least a few suckers, or otherwise they wouldn't even bother to post this garbage. And, even more horrifying, someone out there is going to think they're getting a Great Deal! :headsmack:

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

I have just reported it to ebay. I would hate to see someone shell out all that money for a fake. Remember, a great many people out there do not have the intimate knowledge of the product as enthusiasts like us do.

I also collect watches and some of the fake Rolex out there are so good they even fool authorised dealers. I think it is up to folks who know to report these things so that folks that do not can be helped!

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

Yeah but if you order the first fake one You may get to meet those cowgirls! LOL

They never really show the nib. I feel bad for people spending hundreds of dollars on these. Glad it has been reported. Funny cowgirls though!

www.stevelightart.com

I too feel bad for these people. Imagine buying one and then someone tells you that it is fake.

I do though wonder if some people are destined to be taken for a ride. I would never pay more than £20 to any ebay seller who has a small amount of feedback. Every transaction on the site has the potential for being problematic. The least you can do is try and reduce your risk and only buy from decent looking sellers.

Some people are so desperate for a good deal that they get blinded by the risk.

If you know who MB are you probably know they have a web site. When ever I buy anything I research it. I'd therefore be all over MB's site if I was not too knowledgeable of their products. If I couldn't find the item on the site, I wouldn't bid.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Sent yet another report on the other two.

Just reported them too. Unfortunately we can't monitor all fake listings, but reporting the ones that we eventually find will surely help some ingenuous bidders.

[]'s

Raul Fragoso

Today's fortune: "Write yourself a threatening letter and pen a defiant reply."

I just checked as well and saw it had gone through in spite of reporting by several of us. I wish there was some way to communicate with the purchaser!

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

The seller should be flogged in public. What a shame that people fall for this. I guess it is their own fault for not doing some homework/ research on the subject before bidding. Just a quick search on google would have been more than enough to find out the item is bogus. Oh well...life goes on; and there is a sucker born every minute.

Edited by pen jubky

Just sent an email to Mont Blanc USA with a link to the listing and also telling them ebay seem to be doing nothing about this! Hopefully they can stop this joker in his tracks!

All the best.

Ian

On the pragmatic side...

If I buy something of value (tens of dollars, not hundreds...) I do my research. Amazon, manufacturer's website, reviews, Google etc.

A black Jules Verne? Oh come on. If you pay 300-something dollars, you better know what you're buying. Otherwise you buy because you have disposable income and the 300-some dollars mean nothing to you.

So I have minimal to no mercy for the buyers ("there is a sucker born every minute"). Before shelling for my first valuable pen (and that is a hundreds of dollars pen) I spent endless hours in researching it. If someone would have listed a pink Pelikan M1000, I knew enough to pass on it. So - black Jules Verne - and all teh listing swith the same number - you don't need a triple digit IQ to figure that out.

(I reported the listings for the sake of the Montblancs I own, not for the sake of the potential buyers. The buyers will just pay for their ignorance).

DusaC

Edited by dusac

So an update to this of sorts.

I wrote to Mont Blanc with the listing and told them to look at his profile as he had another for sale. I also contacted ebay again regarding the second one and the pulled it.

Funny thing is that the two feedbacks he had praising him are no longer registered users. I am sure this seller being as honest as he was would not be the same people would he;)

So at least another scammer bites the dust!

All the best.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

The first one has been withdrawn by eBay. Sent yet another report on the other two.

Thank you so much for reporting these listings to eBay. Whenever something like this nonsense is spotted, it should be reported.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.